Best/Not-so-Great Book-to-Movie Adaptation Discussion

For December 2020, we will be reading books that were made into movies/shows.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Best/Not-so-Great Book-to-Movie Adaptation Discussion

Post by gali »

What do you think were the best/worst book-to-movie adaptations?

Here some guiding question:
  • What book-to-movie will you be discussing?
  • What made the movie the best or not-so-great?
  • Were there scenes you missed? Why do you think they were cut out?
  • Did the changes affect the movie in a positive light?
  • Would you say the movie stayed true to the core message of the book? If not, why not?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Addiozzie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Addiozzie »

The book and movie I will be reviewing is a clockwork orange. I think they do a wonderful job in the film adaptation. Alex is just as creepy and uncomfortable as he is in the books and the creativity that went into making the dystopian setting is amazing. They're exactly as I imagined.
The only thing that sucked was the ending, it wasn't the same as the book. The character development that Alex goes through in talking to his fellow droog is unbelievable. I assume it was cut out due to the fact that the original ending was cut out in Britain. It being an English film, that would make sense.
I hated that they removed this scene, but the rest of the movie makes up for it.
I definitely think the message was somewhat changed because of that missing scene, but everything is open to interpretation. I may be biased, because I loved the American book ending so much.
Arina Siaban
Currently Reading: The Course of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arina-siaban.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B01KWX0EL4

Post by Arina Siaban »

I haven't actually read the books yet, but I saw the movie adaptations of The Darkest Minds and The Girl with All the Gifts and loved them! I know book-to-movie adaptations are a controversial topic but those two movies actually made me want to read the books, they were that good. There's great analysis to be had with comparing the two so I might do that someday...
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I always feel badly saying "the book was horrible" because in many cases, it was not that the book was so bad, it was that the acting was so good. I'm thinking of "Silence of the Lambs" and "The Shining".
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “December 2020 Genre Discussion”