Overall rating and opinion of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

I really enjoyed reading this book. It deserves four out of four stars because not only was the author good with the plot and storyline, it was educative for me as I got to learn a lot about the history of the Asian nations it included. I look forward to reading another book by the same author.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

According to my personal view I liked this book very much. The author have gone through a variation of themes and topics ranging from marginalized Korean culture to the implications of foreign affairs. There's nothing I disliked on the story, on the contrary I enjoyed the book very much.
simodeeh
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129

Post by simodeeh »

The title of this book did really captured my attention, well I decided to give it a try and guess what, this was so amazing, the writing styles that were used, it was well edited. I gave it full ratings,it deserves this or even more, bravo to Bradley
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

The story focuses on how the Koreans fought for their rights, and how ambitious the Japanese were for wanting to conquer the world. While reading the first two parts of the book, I was not sure where the story will go but I find it interesting since it was a new experience for me. I was not disappointed though, because I enjoyed reading the book up to the last page. It was full of surprises and heartfelt scenes which will make you want to read more of it. Also, I am glad to learn a bit of Korean history along with some Korean terms.

I can't think of anything that I don't like about this book. I would recommend it to readers who are curious about the history of other countries since this might give them a glimpse of it.
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
s8493
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by s8493 »

Sometimes I wonder how can a story be fallen all over like this one. But then I think real lives are also the same. Its really contradicts with my interests in literature. No doubt the literature should present the ground reality but one expects it to be in an organised manner and not is some random shuffled manner. On one page vague idea of internal politics of kingdom is being presented, in the next page we get the village life, and the very next page we get a suspense of how the main character who was a brat in his childhood has been converted into a fine young teenager. And then that suspense is never being explained. One post is not sufficient to explain all of this. I won't recommend others to read "The Vanished." It will make you want to be Vanished from literature for sometime for sure😉. This is my personal opinion. May be the experts have something else to say.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Vanishing." It was so enjoyable watching Embon grow up from a spoiled pampered,
self-centered boy to a selfless patriot and freedom fighter. What a transformation! And it was all due to his friends from the university who inspired him to fight for Korea's independence. Great book!!!
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars.Its always hard to digest historical concepts if they are done in plain and white. This author has done it in style that with a high end plot and interesting characters,The Asian history has taken my knowledge to another level.Its not only a read but A great source of information.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Above all, I liked how relevant the happenings in the novel are to the issues in the world today, especially gender equality. The book gets a perfect rating for me due to that and many more carefully laid out and entertaining ideas. I highly recommend it to lovers of historical fiction.
Annette M
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Annette M »

I really enjoyed reading the novel as it depicts true events that happened though the characters are fictional. It led me to research whether Korea was ever liberated from the Japanese rule and was glad to find it was in 1945. I would definitely recommend it.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The Vanished is a wonderful book that shows us the history of Korea in twentieth century. The writing style of the author is fantastic, it glues the reader to the book till the end. So, I will give full ratin. I liked the character of Embon's mother a lot in the book.
There is nothing that I dislike about the book.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This is a great book for fans of historical fictions especially those who want to be informed of East Asian history. What I like the most about this book is the socio-political relevance of it. It explores on the detriments of colonization as well as the archaic, and often problematic, cultural norms. The narrative has a rich depiction of Korean heritage, which I also like. Clearly, the author knows what she’s writing about.

However, I found quite a handful of flaws in the fictional side of the narrative. I’m not a fan of switching perspectives especially if it isn’t executed well. The main character Embon doesn’t have many layers. The ending, too, left much to be desired. It was abrupt and it did not provide the closure the book deserves.

Overall, this was an educational read for me. It’s nice to be informed of what it’s like in Korea in the early 1900s.
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

The Vanished is set in early 20th century in Korea where the customs of the country are rigorously followed. Korea inherits in itself a strict culture where the women are forced to obey the customs, and traditions without any exception. They are married, with or without their will, and are accustomed to follow obedient wife and mother rules till their last breath. The Koreans are very proud of their culture but the Japanese are taking away all of it from them. Slowly and gradually, Japanese are establishing control over the whole country and the Koreans are not happy. They are fighting: fighting for their freedom; fighting to win their country, their culture and their heritage back.
I like the book very much. I got carried along well and was feeling more and more curious about what would happen next in the story. The book is quite engrossing.
It is a historical fiction and defines it well. This book is very resourceful and a good read for anyone who likes history and to study different cultures. I highly recommend this book. I give the book 5 out of 5 stars.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I genuinely enjoyed reading the book because it introduced me to some knowledge about the colonialism of Korea by Japan. I also got enlightened about the Korean culture and beliefs. I believe the title is apt because a lot of people would have been involved in the fight for independence, yet not all will be remembered.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I reviewed this book. It's one of the best historical books I've read in a long time. The author not only exhibited unparalleled understanding of the culture on Koreans as well as the history.
Furthermore, I got a sense that the content was thoroughly researched. The book deserves top rating.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Shining a spotlight on the Korean culture and how they gained their independence from Japan makes for interesting reading material. I have to say that I would be more interested in how these events affect today’s society...

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”