Overall rating and opinion of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Littlecandle
Favorite Book: Pancake Money
Currently Reading: Code Name: Dodger: Operation Rubber Soul
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlecandle.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley

Post by Littlecandle »

I just wrote a review of The Vanished, which is posted on my personal website. I rated it 5 out of 5 stars for its well-balanced content. Pejay Bradley is a well-organized author. She presents the socio-political climate of Korea in the early 1900s, allowing readers, especially the present generation to understand why Koreans are bent on upholding their 5 thousand years of heritage and culture.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Littlecandle wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 00:35 I just wrote a review of The Vanished, which is posted on my personal website. I rated it 5 out of 5 stars for its well-balanced content. Pejay Bradley is a well-organized author. She presents the socio-political climate of Korea in the early 1900s, allowing readers, especially the present generation to understand why Koreans are bent on upholding their 5 thousand years of heritage and culture.
Please note that the review on your website MUST be different from the OBC one. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

The mere fact that the book was Korean historical fiction is what I loved most. Considering that I have watched several Korean historical fictions, it was quite relatable, and some Korean words introduced by the author didn't seem strange to me. Overall, I loved that I could relate to it to a reasonable extent. All Korean movie lovers will definitely enjoy this book, and I recommend it to them.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

The book being an historical fiction alone, is enough to love it, talk more of it bring about Korea in its early times. It is also enlightening and invokes the sense of Chang in reaction to the marginalization of women. I really enjoyed reading. Personally, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. To crown it all, it was professionalism edited.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I rated this book three out of four stars. I thought the story was very intriguing and I enjoyed how the author developed the characters and gave insights into various cultures.
ljohnson236
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by ljohnson236 »

I'd rate this story a three out of four.Simply because the narration doesn't go good with the story's flow. I do not like it when stories shift back & forth. But on the bright side, I love historical fiction novels.
Victor Kimathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kimathi.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by Victor Kimathi »

This book made me recognize that I need to expand my horizons and read about lives and experiences outside "my normal relatable bubble".The author descriptive tells the story without watering down your imagination. I Will be looking for more from Pejay Bradley.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

This book is interesting and is a good book. The narration about Koreans and the discrimination was enlightening! It is a good book and i would give it a 4 out of 4 stars rating.
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

I didn't dislike anything about the book, even though am not a fan of historical fiction books, but my basic understanding of historical fiction got expanded. I recommended this book to people desiring to know more about history.
Nalini BAdhan
Currently Reading: They both die in the end
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Nalini BAdhan »

This book is set during the Japanese occupation of Korea and you will learn a lot about it! It is historical fiction but the author does a great job of using actual historical fact to supplement the story which I love. I was researching while reading and confirming who was real and the big events that actually happened and really digging in.

Unfortunately for me, the dialogue was really flat and kept the characters really distant and I wasn't able to connect as much as I wanted to Embon and his journey.

I'd really give it a 2 out of 4 as I didn't like the writing style very much.
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

I enjoyed reading the novel. The author did a great job especially writing about a few families. It allowed me to compare and understand how hard the living conditions in Korea were. It also touched on arranged marriages and the place of women in the society. Would definitely recommend especially to fan of history, fiction and historical fiction.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I gave this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. After reading the book, I felt like there was nothing much about the book that I disliked. It was very engaging and introduced interesting events of that period. I liked the development of Embon throughout the story. The camaraderie and interactions between Embon and his friends were also fun and touching to read. I actually liked the ending and thought it was appropriate for the theme of war.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

The Vanished by Pejay Bradley is a work of historical fiction. Character development is evident. The book introduces two distinct countries, Japan and Korea. Embon's bravery is admirable, and this is my favorite part of the story. The title of the book, in my opinion, refers to the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life as a result of Japanese occupation and dominance. Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its astoundinh plotline and recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction and want to learn more about the past.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Coming from India, I can relate to the hardships of people under occupation. In this capacity, the book was good. I loved to read part of history I never knew about Korea. But I felt the book ended leaving a lot of things unresolved. So ultimately, was not an entirely satisfying read
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

I enjoyed reading The Vanished. I thought the story had a nice flow and the characters were well-developed. I enjoyed learning about Korean culture in the early 20th century. The author broadened my knowledge of Korean society's upheaval during this period. There was nothing I disliked about this book. I recommend The Vanished to those who enjoy historical fiction. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”