The author has taken the side of Korea. Is it justifiable?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Re: The author has taken the side of Korea. Is it justifiable?

Post by mlh6fn »

I personally prefer historical fiction with multiple perspectives for this very reason. I like seeing the nuance in perspective and experience that adding narration from different sides and points of view offer. However, that's not the aim of every novel or author. Especially when an author is writing about their own history, it can be unfair to mark down an author for sharing a story from only one perspective. As the reader, it's up to you to be able to notice those biases that naturally occur and then find books or narratives written from the other perspective to broaden your own understanding.
Betty Gitonga
Currently Reading: Black Cherry Betrayal
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betty-gitonga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Betty Gitonga »

I did not think that the author was pushing us against Japan. She was explaining the Korean's perspective of the struggle. I also think that there is really nothing to sugarcoat in a nation colonizing another. Therefore, I think it is a balanced perspective.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I don’t think there’s an issue with an author taking a stance against something in favor of something else. It’s their narrative. The reader doesn’t have to agree with what the author is saying. They’re giving us insight into their mind’s eye and why they feel the way they do about a certain subject, or in this case country.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 00:54 This story is written about the Korean struggle against Japan for independence. The author has made Japan a complete villain with the details of the corrupted nature of Japanese soldiers and officials. Is it justifiable? Is it appropriate for a fiction to drive the readers against a country?
In case of historical fiction book, it's all right, I guess. If the author states that his book is based on the real historical facts, they should be well supported, I think.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

For me, any country that interferes with another nation's sovereignty should be portrayed as self-centered. Therefore, I support the author's decision to side with Korea in her quest and mission to attain independence.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Every fiction book needs villains. Making the villains from the Japanese is logical for two reasons. Firstly, they were conquerors. They wanted to subjugate a country that did not belong to them. This is the same as theft or robbery. Secondly, there were indeed many very evil people among the Japanese military at that time.

Of course, I didn't think any worse of the Japanese after reading this book. There are very dark periods in the history of many countries. For example, the German Nazi happily burned people alive during the WW II, but this is not a reason to hate modern Germans.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

"The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley - My understanding of war is based on the two World Wars between the British Allies and the German Allies. And a realization that the men fighting had no beef with each other but were directed by politics and leaders who were bound by treaties, so war was based on a pre-defined plan. A famous example that demonstrates this was when the Germans and the Allies played football on Christmas day. This is also a point of view that an author could choose to emphasize or any other point of view. Many different points of view are valid. Hopefully, further reading is inspired by this author's viewpoint.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 00:54 This story is written about the Korean struggle against Japan for independence. The author has made Japan a complete villain with the details of the corrupted nature of Japanese soldiers and officials. Is it justifiable? Is it appropriate for a fiction to drive the readers against a country?
The story is from a Korean perspective. The restrictions being put on Koreans in their own country, cultural dominance by Japanese, unequal wages and labor rules, 1st March protest, are all the things that actually happened. Since the story is set within that context it makes sense for the story to sound pro-Korean and anti-Japanese.
To give you an example if you are writing a book about Indian fight for Independence against the British Raj, you are bound to see things from a perspective that the Raj was unwanted by the people and India wanted freedom. Similar context is applicable to the book from a Korean war of independence against the Japanese at that time.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

When telling the story of the subject and colonialist, the colonialist will always be the villain because they are the ones that caused most of the harm and whatever harm caused the subject is merely a reaction to the harm done by the colonist. The bias of the author is indeed justifiable.
Brainiac140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brainiac140.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Brainiac140 »

The author is entitled to his opinion, so is the reader. Though this book could make one have a grudge against Japan. It can also make one like the how brave the Japanese soldiers were and see the Korean soldiers as weaklings.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I think when it comes to historical book, or historical novels, it is fair to take a side. How else would you do it?

Every historical event has several books written about it, each from a different point of view. Readers who are keen to know the whole story stripped from any bias, should check then out. Just like in debates, you listen to everyobe and then tou decide.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

It is very justifiable as this is a fiction and it was written in a Korean citizen view. According to the author, Koreans experienced suffering in the hands of the Japanese. This is however, not enough to develop hatred for the Country. One would be naturally biased with issues concerning his or her country.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

The perspective that a story is written in does not make the author prejudice against one side or the other. Some stories are easier written and understood if it is written through the perspective that the author has the most knowledge of. Also, it depends on the genre of the story as to which perspective would be more fit for a good read.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

In as much as the actions Japan meted out to Korea seems wrong, it doesn't certify the negative assumptions he gives his readers. Anyone would readily take up this book and finalize that Japanese are bad people. I did this but corrected myself immediately when I realised that was the authors motive
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

The author's fiction is actually supported by fact. I don't see that she's expressing her opinions therein. Anyway, the Japanese are truly the villains here. Bradley has not even touched the heated topic of comfort women, so she's far from driving readers against anything.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”