The author has taken the side of Korea. Is it justifiable?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Re: The author has taken the side of Korea. Is it justifiable?

Post by yomide »

Well it's not a point of justification, the author is just telling the story in the Korean perspective. I think the main point (in this sense) is about putting yourself in the Korean shoes during the struggle.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think that the author's commitment is justified in two ways: by historical facts and the freedom of the author's creative idea.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

As someone who majored in Japanese language and culture, I still absolutely believe the Korean view is justified. The Japanese did some truly atrocious things back in the day. We visited the Yūshūkan in Japan and that museum is insane. It claims that the Chinese people were welcoming the Japanese with open arms in Nanking, for instance. Just totally ridiculous. If that's Japan's nationalism AFTER WW2, I can completely believe that the Japanese were villainous back then. And I am a total Japanophile. The more you dig into their history, the more crazy it can be.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I don't think the author really took Korea's side, it only seems like that it's because it's in the author's point of view.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I read this book, and it didn't turn me against Japan, as I recognize that these events happened in the past. Also, the characters stated some of the positive changes Japan brought to their country through the invasion. I feel making Japan the villain in this book was very realistic and expected given the point of view from which it was told. It is expected that most citizens of any invaded country will hold grudges against the invading country, trying to deprive them of their independence and freedom. Therefore, I feel the author is justified, especially given that she is Korean.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

The author doesn't need to drive readers against the country. A thorough reading of history suffices. If a work of fiction utilizes true historical events as a setting, then it is justified in doing so no matter how unflattering those events may show a party to be. The requisite care that should be taken 8s historical accuracy and to the best of my knowledge the author has done that well .
ELSETH MAEVE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elseth-maeve.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by ELSETH MAEVE »

It is justified. Imperialism had a lot of grievances that came alongside it. I have heard a lot about the ways of the Japanese in the past. I must say that they were gruesome. I must also say that leaders in the past had personal concerns that in turn became their personal weaknesses.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”