Does this book belong to historical fiction or political satire?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Does this book belong to historical fiction or political satire?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Though the book is centered on Korean independence struggle, it portrays the historical political connections and various interactions between America, Russia, Japan, China and Korea. So, what do you think of this book? Is it a historical fiction or a political satire?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I didn't get the sense that it was intended to be satire. Are there certain aspects that you felt the author was trying to make fun of or be comedic about?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

I didn't see it as being comedic. It seemed to me that the book brought extremely important topics to the fore. The interwoven nature of the story and the political presence of these countries really told an important story
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think the book is both a piece of historical fiction and a form of political satire. There are many instances when the author alludes to the absurd and ridiculous nature of certain scenes or characters. For example, I can think of King Gojong's behavior during his private birthday party, Embon's accidental arrest with the revolutionaries when he was actually planning to go skiing and then returning home, the dilapidated nature of the buildings of the provisional Korean government set in Shanghai, etc.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

While it lends itself to historical fiction, I can see instances of satire. There is no reason it can't be both, but if you had to pick just one genre, it is definitely more historical fiction than political satire.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 16:00 I didn't get the sense that it was intended to be satire. Are there certain aspects that you felt the author was trying to make fun of or be comedic about?
I won't say it was intended to be a comedy. But whatever the situations that are related to politics has some ridiculous nature underneath them. You may consider The Korean king's behaviours, then the ironical arrest of Embon, etc. They are not exact jokes, yet they have a sense of humour, as per my opinion
Sushan Ekanayake

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 03:01 I didn't see it as being comedic. It seemed to me that the book brought extremely important topics to the fore. The interwoven nature of the story and the political presence of these countries really told an important story
Agreed. The content covered important content in the political grounds of that era. And at the same time look at the unnecessary political plots and interventions that took place in this story, and to what they led ultimately. I find them quite ironical as well as humorous
Sushan Ekanayake

cd20 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 19:01 While it lends itself to historical fiction, I can see instances of satire. There is no reason it can't be both, but if you had to pick just one genre, it is definitely more historical fiction than political satire.
Yes, it is truly a historical fiction. But beneath that, the author has included occasions that the imaginative and thoughtful reader can see the irony as well as the ridiculous nature. The acts of the Korean King, the political gamblings are few examples
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This book can be categorized as both, as there are some element of satire in it, though it's majorly historical fiction. I would therefore categories as historical fiction if I was to choose one.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Sushan Ekanayake

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 02:28 This book can be categorized as both, as there are some element of satire in it, though it's majorly historical fiction. I would therefore categories as historical fiction if I was to choose one.
It is a historical fiction since it is set up in the known history in a known situation. Yet, it is about how the politics have been working in the past, not for the betterment of people, but for the gain of the rulers and the superior parties. So, I see this more as a political satire
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I didn't feel as though this was intended as political satire, but reading some of these responses has made me rethink my reading of the book. I do feel like the king was intended to be a satirical character, but later, after Embon talks to his father, it is clear that the king did a lot for his country. I think the king tried to save Korea, but was dealt a rather rough hand. Embon expounds on this after his meeting with his father and I think this made me believe the book was intended as historical fiction and not a political satire. I found the book to be very somber and sobering.
Kirsi Cultrera
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I think this book was not intended to be satire. However, it definitely has some ingredients that could be interpreted as such. I am not familiar with the authors background, but I think in some cultures describing political and/or historical events often appears to outsiders as it was satire even if it is not. I don’t really know if this is the case. However, I would categorize this book under historical fiction and I think the author has done a good job with that. As far as I can say, the historical events seem accurately written.
Kirsi
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I don't think the book falls into the political satire category. I'd say it's more of historical fiction because it's centered around actual historical events but the story and characters are fictitious.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think it is mainly historical fiction, as it shows historical details of Korea during its war for independence from Japan, while the author tries to display elements of Korean culture through his book in order to inform the reader about Korean history.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

This book contains a lot of political stuffs but not satirical in my opinion. But it does have a lot of history to be tagged a historical fiction.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”