This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

In my opinion, this book could represent more women in important roles. However, I also think about the fact that this is a historical fiction novel. Therefore, the author might also be accurately portraying the lack of women in important roles in Asia by the time of the narrative. What do you think about that?
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

I thought so too, I kept wondering why stronger female roles weren't emphasized or even encouraged. If it is for historical accuracy as you have said, then its quite sad that women weren't or aren't more outspoken or in identified roles. All in all though, the characters showed strength and courage in their fight, women present or not.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Gabrielle Sigaki

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 03:12 I thought so too, I kept wondering why stronger female roles weren't emphasized or even encouraged. If it is for historical accuracy as you have said, then its quite sad that women weren't or aren't more outspoken or in identified roles. All in all though, the characters showed strength and courage in their fight, women present or not.
Indeed, the author gives voice for Lady Sougyon to tell her story, so I think that the reason was the historical accuracy. However, it is something to think about. It's a great and interesting book.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I can think of a few strong women in the novel. For example, Lady Sougyon, daughter of Prince Aansoon, raises her son all by herself, has extended knowledge in various domains, engages in a conversation with the king on different topics, saves her son's life when he falls sick with tuberculosis and comes home more dead than alive, etc. Although only briefly mentioned, Queen Min has a strong personality and becomes fully engaged in politics. Mrs. Seoh is another interesting female character as she has big ambitions for her daughters. There are other hints at the unsung women who followed their partners to another land and supported their independence fight.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I see where you are coming from, but in 1912, women were more to be seen than heard. While we have come a long way, women in other countries, like Korea do not have the same freedoms and liberties as women in America do. It is very much in respect to their culture. However, there are strong female characters in this story. For Lady Sougyon to be able to hold her head up in public, with the way her husband treated and embarrassed her shows her strength in character. As does her ability to raise her son on her own, encouraging him in his education even though it meant leaving her. Even Mrs. Seoh recognized that she wanted more education and opportunities for her children than she herself had. She recognized the change and shift in culture to realize they would be able to do more.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A valid argument. It is true that females were not much highlighted in the ancient Asian societies. So the author might have gone along with that fact when writing his book. But, for the notice, there are few strong female characters in this book as well
Nduthu43
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nduthu43.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nduthu43 »

I parttly disagree because it depends what you mean by strong. Lady Sougyon happens to be the mother of Embon who is a main character. Without the birth of Embon we would not have known Hob's story and his estrangement to Lady Sougyon. Besides, the story is mainly from her perspective and therefore I consider her very strong.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

As sad as it is, that was the reality for many women in history. As much as I would have loved to see strong female characters, I don't think it would have been reflective of the times.
K i m
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by K i m »

Its a natrual reality 80% of the females are strong beacuse of how their trained while growing to fulfil a daily life in there land.the charators of woman mostly strong in different ways to deal with situations differently.
Dabrielle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabrielle.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dabrielle »

Although there are not many strong female voices in the novel, Lady Sougyon is portrayed as a strong woman. All the same, the author's portrayal of gender roles is historically authentic.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Indeed the book lucked strong women in it , which was very questionable, then I later come to thin of it that in the early days women were ignored in the society, they were not given major roles, and therefore the author might have been right in ignoring them.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 07:57 I can think of a few strong women in the novel. For example, Lady Sougyon, daughter of Prince Aansoon, raises her son all by herself, has extended knowledge in various domains, engages in a conversation with the king on different topics, saves her son's life when he falls sick with tuberculosis and comes home more dead than alive, etc. Although only briefly mentioned, Queen Min has a strong personality and becomes fully engaged in politics. Mrs. Seoh is another interesting female character as she has big ambitions for her daughters. There are other hints at the unsung women who followed their partners to another land and supported their independence fight.
I agree with you that there were strong women in the book. Just because a woman doesn't go out to battle, doesn't mean she isn't strong - there are other things that define a strong character. The things Lady Sougyon did are enough for me to think of her as a strong woman.
Kamryn87
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kamryn87 »

I thought the female characters was portrayed very strong and independent through hardships of her life. The mother was a very strong woman and during her part in the storyline was portrayed with great length . She wasn't even mentioned in the narrative for the book which to me ,made her part in the story a very pleasant surprise.
Gabrielle Sigaki

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 07:57 I can think of a few strong women in the novel. For example, Lady Sougyon, daughter of Prince Aansoon, raises her son all by herself, has extended knowledge in various domains, engages in a conversation with the king on different topics, saves her son's life when he falls sick with tuberculosis and comes home more dead than alive, etc. Although only briefly mentioned, Queen Min has a strong personality and becomes fully engaged in politics. Mrs. Seoh is another interesting female character as she has big ambitions for her daughters. There are other hints at the unsung women who followed their partners to another land and supported their independence fight.
Indeed, Lady Sougyon is the greatest example of a strong woman in this novel, she is very brave and determined. Nevertheless, I still wished that the author included more women in important roles or that the author gave more scenes to those women that were only mentioned.
Gabrielle Sigaki

cd20 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 19:07 I see where you are coming from, but in 1912, women were more to be seen than heard. While we have come a long way, women in other countries, like Korea do not have the same freedoms and liberties as women in America do. It is very much in respect to their culture. However, there are strong female characters in this story. For Lady Sougyon to be able to hold her head up in public, with the way her husband treated and embarrassed her shows her strength in character. As does her ability to raise her son on her own, encouraging him in his education even though it meant leaving her. Even Mrs. Seoh recognized that she wanted more education and opportunities for her children than she herself had. She recognized the change and shift in culture to realize they would be able to do more.
Lady Sougyon is a fascinating character. She is a indeed a strong woman from all perspectives, in my opinion. I also agree that it can be related to the cultural aspect in Korea too. I didn't think about it before, but it makes sense to me.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”