This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Re: This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

At one instance, if I remember it correctly, there was a time when women’s role in the revolution was acknowledged. It was said that some were picking up guns and engaging in guerrilla warfare. Of course, strong female characters don’t only mean those who are capable of doing that. But I just wish the author had chosen to highlight this aspect of history by adding important female characters.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 03:12 I thought so too, I kept wondering why stronger female roles weren't emphasized or even encouraged. If it is for historical accuracy as you have said, then its quite sad that women weren't or aren't more outspoken or in identified roles. All in all though, the characters showed strength and courage in their fight, women present or not.
I agree with you, in order to be as loyal yo history the author might have opted out adding strong female characters. However I cannot believe that there was not even one important person in the story since it could have added so much more dimension to the book.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I think the author did an excellent job of portraying the roles of both genders as it was in the past. Men were depended upon solely and women were required to take care of the household and be submissive to their husbands. It bothered me that women did not feel happy when they gave birth to female children, but felt proud when they gave birth to sons.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

I think that when one writes a historical novel they must make a decision early on as to whether they write how men and women would have been represented or if they write from a different perspective. One is obviously more historically accurate, whilst the other is more weighted towards fiction.
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

Yes for sure. There is a lack of strong women as important characters in the book. There are a few mentions in the book about women choosing to work for the country but the more brief account is given about women who are working for males struggling for the country. They are doing household chores and nursing jobs to support them. There are no inferences in the story about women standing up against the strict customs of the country let alone against the Japanese. Maybe, this was done to make the book more vulnerable but this stunt makes the country of Korea look more male-dominated and with a weak representation of women.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

The author could have used more female characters in the book. But, I think the author has introduced the character of Lady Sougyon representing the strong women.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 05:30 In my opinion, this book could represent more women in important roles. However, I also think about the fact that this is a historical fiction novel. Therefore, the author might also be accurately portraying the lack of women in important roles in Asia by the time of the narrative. What do you think about that?
You're right. I couldn't judge the author because he was only relating the reality of life in Korea at that period. Of course, women do not take prominent positions then.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Yeah. This book lack strong female characters. But since this book was set in the 1990s, it is normal for this to be so. During this time and in Korea, women are made and trained to be subservient and docile. Although I didn't like this fact, but it is just what it is.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think the lack of a variety of strong female characters is historically accurate. I also think that there were a few instances of strong women in the novel, like Lady Sougyon who was raised by her father to be a strong woman, as well as Embon's wife, who was outspoken and somewhat defiant
Betty Gitonga
Currently Reading: Black Cherry Betrayal
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betty-gitonga.html

Post by Betty Gitonga »

I do think it is an accurate representation of the culture at that time. We can see, however, the subtle power of Lady Sougyon and Mrs. Seoh, who dared to think differently from everyone else. The odds were unfortunately stacked against them, in spite of their desire to be and do more.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

The absence of strong female characters is normal for those times. Women were not seen as strong, powerful, or even smart. The author has probably just wanted to represent these years as accurately as he could.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

I did notice the lack of strong female roles throughout this novel. After thinking about it more, I believe this is because it is historical fiction and the write chose to be more historically accurate. During this time period, women's voices were not heard and they did not play strong roles.
Albaou Amira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaou-amira.html

Post by Albaou Amira »

Although historically, women had very few roles to play and little or no chance of expressing themselves, I do believe that they had so much to offer even from the background. It would've been nice if the author portrayed this.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

I agree with your argument. Since the book is a depiction of the era/century, it is almost inevitable that the women characters will have minimal roles. By the time, women were not as aggressive or supported as now. However we still see headstrong women in Lady Sougyon and her ability to remain astute and by her beliefs. Even Mrs Seoh and her zeal for education and change and also in raising her daughter, an upcoming strong woman. I believe ive the author tried to balance things out.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I dont think there was women emancipation back then. Women must have been considered so weak and dependant on men. The author might have put that into consideration.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”