Lady Sougyon - Character and Narrator

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Lady Sougyon - Character and Narrator

Post by Cristina Chifane »

There are many memorable female characters in the novel. In traditional Korean society, women's voices were usually silenced. However, the author gives a voice to Lady Sougyon, who recounts the story of her unhappy marriage in the first person. Despite being a member of the upper echelon of society and enjoying many privileges, she is still miserable and lonely. Her life always depends on men (powerful father, unfaithful husband, spoiled son). What's your opinion of her as both a character and a narrator? As a character, could she have done anything to change her fate? As a narrator, is she honest and reliable?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I imagine divorce was really not very common during that time, especially in her position, but maybe she would have been much happier if she could have divorced her no-good husband and found someone else. Or at least have been free from him and the money he demanded from her. She is obviously a strong character for all that she goes through, and she shows tremendous strength. I think it is interesting to hear her voice and how the men around her has influenced her life, for better and worse. As far as we know, she seems to be honest and reliable, but she also may have a bias toward her son, sometimes we have blinders on with those we love the most.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 06:16 There are many memorable female characters in the novel. In traditional Korean society, women's voices were usually silenced. However, the author gives a voice to Lady Sougyon, who recounts the story of her unhappy marriage in the first person. Despite being a member of the upper echelon of society and enjoying many privileges, she is still miserable and lonely. Her life always depends on men (powerful father, unfaithful husband, spoiled son). What's your opinion of her as both a character and a narrator? As a character, could she have done anything to change her fate? As a narrator, is she honest and reliable?
I feel like she is a strong woman, however, she was suppressed by the men in her life, and by the time and society in which she lived. I found it interesting for her to have a voice to express her inner and outer turmoil. Being of royal descent during those times made it impossible for her to change her fate, in my opinion.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I like that, as you said, she is the narrator of the book. We get to see her perspective that would otherwise have been silenced. Being able to see her point of view means you can see whether she truly had the option to change her fate. I don't think many narrators are truly reliable as they are giving their account only, so everything is from their point of view, but that doesn't mean that they are not honest, but rather recounting the events that they themselves saw, which isn't necessarily reliable or the right account. I hope that makes sense?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Lady Sougyon was a strong woman, however her strength was never seen because the male dominated the society giving her hard time to show her capability. I think as a narrator she had the opportunity to change the society. That's my view.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

I wish she would just divorce her husband. I think she was strongly considering it, but her brother dismissed that thought because it would be shameful for their family during that time. But I do think she is a caring and a strong woman especially to her son and also to her staff.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Divorce is a better solution to get rid from a greedy husband who was the money and personal affairs from his wife. The wife who cannot afford the the unreal demands of husband, should leave him lonely and should live in loneliness for herself because it is better diffusion than to live with a greedy person.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I found Lady Sougyon to be a rather likable character. I really liked that she goes out of her way to help her maid's daughter. This, for me, was one of her many redeeming qualities. She also forgives the thief for stealing a bag of rice and spares him a whipping. It seemed like this was a story of people who were dealing with nearly impossible situations. Mr. Seoh is stuck deciding if he should join the revolution, Lady Sougyon is stuck in a loveless, terrible marriage, etc. I believe all these characters had some redeeming qualities but were also very honest characters with definite flaws.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

It was interesting to see things through the perspective of this upper-class woman, whose husband seemed to have left her without a divorce. While reading I wondered why only this Lady was given a voice to speak in the first person. Was it also because her son had an important role?
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I guess... she was pretty content on where she stood. It wasn't all good, obviously, but... she had wealth. She had a father who had a progressive mindset like her. They were a powerful family with close relations to the king. And then she had a child... on which her sight naturally zeroed in on. I think she's okay just the way she was.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I thought her character to be quiet charming and aristocratic. She would have been stronger if not bound to the social obligations that women didn't really have a lot of power. I believe if she had to defy that power, in her position, she would have been shunned from the family and it would have left her in a very tough spot. In her particular position it would have been more beneficial for her to just submit, so that is what she did.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

cd20 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 19:21 I imagine divorce was really not very common during that time, especially in her position, but maybe she would have been much happier if she could have divorced her no-good husband and found someone else. Or at least have been free from him and the money he demanded from her. She is obviously a strong character for all that she goes through, and she shows tremendous strength. I think it is interesting to hear her voice and how the men around her has influenced her life, for better and worse. As far as we know, she seems to be honest and reliable, but she also may have a bias toward her son, sometimes we have blinders on with those we love the most.
Lady Sougyon tried to divorce her husband many times already, but her male guardians (father and brother) didn't approve of that. The reason was that her divorce would badly affect the reputation of the family, including herself. So Lady Sougyon was trapped in her arranged marriage with no way out. As long as the man was still her husband, she had no choice but to submit to him, or else that man would bring more shame to her. Unlike our modern days, women during that era suffered greatly and had no voices (or even names, in the case of servants like April and her daughter, May). Lady Sougyon placed her hope on her son because Embon was the only one who could take care of her when she grew old. When a husband is useless, a woman can only rely on their son, that's why. Nevertheless, this showed how strong she was when she had to manage a whole house without a man.
Books Rule
Currently Reading: Worship the Pig
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-rule.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Books Rule »

I thought Lady Sougyon could probably have done more to improve her fate and that of others around her. I'm sure there were Korean women who accomplished much more. Certainly, she places her hopes for the future in her son, Embon, and his generation. While she thinks of herself as honest and reliable, she is clearly a product of her privilege. I think that comes across well in her narration.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 06:16 There are many memorable female characters in the novel. In traditional Korean society, women's voices were usually silenced. However, the author gives a voice to Lady Sougyon, who recounts the story of her unhappy marriage in the first person. Despite being a member of the upper echelon of society and enjoying many privileges, she is still miserable and lonely. Her life always depends on men (powerful father, unfaithful husband, spoiled son). What's your opinion of her as both a character and a narrator? As a character, could she have done anything to change her fate? As a narrator, is she honest and reliable?
I love her as a character. No first-person narrator is reliable. They tell the story from their point of view and through their outlook on life. But I think she is a strong woman. She raises her kid on her own and in a non-traditional way (even if, in my opinion, she made many mistakes in his education). She was smart in her conversation and compassionate with her servants. Of course, some of these things, the mere fact of having servants, crash with our worldview, but I think considering her circumstances she is a good woman who did what she could considering her circumstances. She is also an excellent example that neither power nor wealth can buy happiness because, as you mention, she craves true love.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Sou Hi wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 21:30
cd20 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 19:21 I imagine divorce was really not very common during that time, especially in her position, but maybe she would have been much happier if she could have divorced her no-good husband and found someone else. Or at least have been free from him and the money he demanded from her. She is obviously a strong character for all that she goes through, and she shows tremendous strength. I think it is interesting to hear her voice and how the men around her has influenced her life, for better and worse. As far as we know, she seems to be honest and reliable, but she also may have a bias toward her son, sometimes we have blinders on with those we love the most.
Lady Sougyon tried to divorce her husband many times already, but her male guardians (father and brother) didn't approve of that. The reason was that her divorce would badly affect the reputation of the family, including herself. So Lady Sougyon was trapped in her arranged marriage with no way out. As long as the man was still her husband, she had no choice but to submit to him, or else that man would bring more shame to her. Unlike our modern days, women during that era suffered greatly and had no voices (or even names, in the case of servants like April and her daughter, May). Lady Sougyon placed her hope on her son because Embon was the only one who could take care of her when she grew old. When a husband is useless, a woman can only rely on their son, that's why. Nevertheless, this showed how strong she was when she had to manage a whole house without a man.
I realize she tried to divorce her husband several times, that is why I said "if she could have." She would have been happier if it had been allowed. Thankfully we don't need our fathers or brothers say today, in whether we can divorce someone or not. If you look at it Biblically, she had just cause to divorce him, yet the family refused. I don't see how the stigma could have been worse for divorce than for her husband to run around on her and everyone know it.
Lady Sougyon showed her strength in many ways, like I mentioned in my original post, not just because she managed a house without a man. She did have help from the men in her life, her father and then her brother. Otherwise her husband would have sucked her completely dry.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”