Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Post by Brenda Creech »

Japan had occupied Korea for many years when the South Korean King was poisoned. Mr. Seoh worked in the Japanese Bank and had just gotten a promotion. His friend, Mr. Koo, approached him about joining an uprising to regain their independence from Japan. Mr. Seoh had a decision to make: fight for Korea's independence with his fellow Korean's, or protect his job, and probably his family. If you have read the 5th chapter, do you think he made the right decision?
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think Mr. Seoh's behavior is pretty duplicitous. On the one hand, he doesn't openly join his friend in his fight for independence and chooses to keep his job at the bank. On the other hand, he receives Mr. Koo in his house whenever he needs it and also gives some money to the cause every time he can. His position was not different from that of other aristocrats or middle-class Koreans of the time, who used to secretly fund the resistance movement. If you ask me, their attitude was nothing but a comfortable way to appease their guilty conscience.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I think he did what most people do, look out for their family and take care of self. He knew if he joined Mr. Koo he risked his job, and ultimately his home. His wife was having another baby and they needed their income. I think had he been in a different position he might have made a different choice.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 08:17 I think Mr. Seoh's behavior is pretty duplicitous. On the one hand, he doesn't openly join his friend in his fight for independence and chooses to keep his job at the bank. On the other hand, he receives Mr. Koo in his house whenever he needs it and also gives some money to the cause every time he can. His position was not different from that of other aristocrats or middle-class Koreans of the time, who used to secretly fund the resistance movement. If you ask me, their attitude was nothing but a comfortable way to appease their guilty conscience.
I agree about appeasing their guilty conscience. Also, It would be a tough decision to make for anyone! Mr. Seoh was a classic example of the proverbial saying being "between a rock and a hard spot!"
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

cd20 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 18:57 I think he did what most people do, look out for their family and take care of self. He knew if he joined Mr. Koo he risked his job, and ultimately his home. His wife was having another baby and they needed their income. I think had he been in a different position he might have made a different choice.
You are right, he did what most people would do. His circumstances were compounded not by just having a family, but with a new baby on the way. I believe he would have joined the uprising if his circumstances had been different. Although, the one thing I felt should not be significant in his decision was his recent promotion. It felt like he did not want to lose the prestige of the higher rank he had just acquired. I had to wonder which was his top priority - family or prestige? I choose to believe it was family.
B. Creech
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

For me I think he could have fought for independence, this was going to save many people including the family, for me I could have fought for independence, and save my country. I might secure a job there in future.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

These kinds of decisions are what I call "a rock and a hard place" decisions. One is about self-preservation (taking of yourself and your family), and the other is about the bigger picture (fighting for the future of your world). As a female, in the early 1900s, I would really only have the choice of supporting my husband's decision. I imagine that I would be conflicted and that I would probably choose self-preservation until things got to be bad. In reality, though, none of us really know what we'll do until we are actually in that situation.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 02:25 For me I think he could have fought for independence, this was going to save many people including the family, for me I could have fought for independence, and save my country. I might secure a job there in future.
Yes, he could have made the choice to fight for the independence of his country. Perhaps the fact that he and his wife were expecting a baby was the deciding factor for him in choosing not to join the uprising. There are some who never know until actually faced with a situation what their decision would be! But, you are right, he could have chosen to fight!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 08:37 These kinds of decisions are what I call "a rock and a hard place" decisions. One is about self-preservation (taking of yourself and your family), and the other is about the bigger picture (fighting for the future of your world). As a female, in the early 1900s, I would really only have the choice of supporting my husband's decision. I imagine that I would be conflicted and that I would probably choose self-preservation until things got to be bad. In reality, though, none of us really know what we'll do until we are actually in that situation.
Absolutely! A lot of what a person would decide to do is based on the era they are living in at the time! Also, we all have a built-in desire to protect ourselves from pain and harm. Although women have come a long way, there are probably some who still accept the fact they will support their husband's decision! And I agree 100% that none of us know what we would do until faced with a situation!
B. Creech
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 08:17 I think Mr. Seoh's behavior is pretty duplicitous. On the one hand, he doesn't openly join his friend in his fight for independence and chooses to keep his job at the bank. On the other hand, he receives Mr. Koo in his house whenever he needs it and also gives some money to the cause every time he can. His position was not different from that of other aristocrats or middle-class Koreans of the time, who used to secretly fund the resistance movement. If you ask me, their attitude was nothing but a comfortable way to appease their guilty conscience.
I completely agree that Mr. Seoh was trying to ease his conscience about not joining the resistance. However, I truly believe his reluctance to join the resistance was due to his family and not the prestige he had gained. I think Mr. Seoh's dedication to his family is to be admired.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I agree with the many others who believe that this decision truly put Mr. Seoh between a rock and a hard place. I, like some others, believe that he chose his family over the resistance and that it was not the prestige of the job that kept him from joining the resistance. I admire his continued dedication (albeit small) to the cause, despite his family. However, I can also see how this could be considered hypocritical. I truly think the resistance was a double-edged sword for Mr. Seoh. If he joined, he could be risking all that he had built, as well as his family. He also had to consider his current position at work. His family would be lost without him and I think this weighed heavily on his mind as he made the difficult decision.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

Mr. Seoh had a family. Therefore, his obligations as a father required him to support his family. Yet, in some way, he was fighting against the Japanese by ensuring the continuation of his culture, language and heritage through the construct of family.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

There's no reason that outwardly and publicly being 'loyal' in order to safeguard your income and thus your ability to support your family can't coincide with (very) surreptitiously supporting the resistance. I think the question isn't whether he made the right choice but why he didn't see that the two weren't mutually exclusive. In the end, I think he took the 'easier' path of going with the flow rather than against it, and that's a bit sad to me.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Mvictoria wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 10:39 I agree with the many others who believe that this decision truly put Mr. Seoh between a rock and a hard place. I, like some others, believe that he chose his family over the resistance and that it was not the prestige of the job that kept him from joining the resistance. I admire his continued dedication (albeit small) to the cause, despite his family. However, I can also see how this could be considered hypocritical. I truly think the resistance was a double-edged sword for Mr. Seoh. If he joined, he could be risking all that he had built, as well as his family. He also had to consider his current position at work. His family would be lost without him and I think this weighed heavily on his mind as he made the difficult decision.
Very well said! Those are all good points, and I am inclined to agree. It would be a very tough decision for anyone who had a family and was the sole provider for them. I believe in his heart he would have liked to join the resistance and fight for his freedom, but I also believe he made the right choice regarding his family. If he had chosen not to join just because of his prestigious job I probably would feel differently!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Booksmart-56 wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 14:11 Mr. Seoh had a family. Therefore, his obligations as a father required him to support his family. Yet, in some way, he was fighting against the Japanese by ensuring the continuation of his culture, language and heritage through the construct of family.
I agree he had family obligations. I think deep inside he wanted to fight, but he put his family first, and that is how it should be if possible! Plus, his wife was expecting another child and the burden put on her if he had chosen to fight would have been tremendous!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”