Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Post by Brenda Creech »

Njokime wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 05:13 I found Mr. Seoh weak, but if I think about this deeply. Not everybody is able to fight or give up their comfort, I think some people are just meant to be support crew. At least Mr. seoh always fed and gave Mr. Koo some money each time he passed by.
That's true, he did. I think he managed to do both, protect his family and job while contributing to the cause financially was his way of fulfilling his duty to actually go out and fight! Personally, I think he made the right decision.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I'm a huge supporter of Mr. Seoh stance on the situation. He's showing that he can separate the two predicaments, while benefiting from both sides. Mr. Koo is his friend and feels that he should protect him as far as he can, without fully being associated with the cause for retaliation that can hurt his family life. Mr. Seoh is actually my favorite character because he represent the person who knew how to follow the Japanese government rules, while still being an advocate for his culture rights and freedom.
Nferdi20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nferdi20.html
Latest Review: When No One Else Believed by Ron Tripodo

Post by Nferdi20 »

I think Mr. Seoh did what so many people do with children, they make sacrifices. He knew what he should do and believe, but his responsibility to his family came first. Although, he did help the movement by encouraging others and provided money when he had it.
prakritisingh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prakritisingh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by prakritisingh »

This is a very difficult question. There are times when we want to serve our country and fight for our people. In that situation, a person is determined to fight against all odds with full determination. They worry least about what would happen of their families when there is no income or food. But they keep on fighting till they gain independence. Such a character portray patriotic feeling for their country and people. But on the other hand, it is not bad to think of their families or their comfort first. Who does not want to live a happy life. If proper income, comfortable housing and healthy food comes at the cost of being loyal to the Japanese rulers, some may want to do it as well. They just want to give their families a good life. And in my personal opinion it is not bad to do so.
It just depends on person to person which path they take.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Dman_1996 wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 14:21 I'm a huge supporter of Mr. Seoh stance on the situation. He's showing that he can separate the two predicaments, while benefiting from both sides. Mr. Koo is his friend and feels that he should protect him as far as he can, without fully being associated with the cause for retaliation that can hurt his family life. Mr. Seoh is actually my favorite character because he represent the person who knew how to follow the Japanese government rules, while still being an advocate for his culture rights and freedom.
I understood that he wanted to protect his family, considering that a lot of people depended on him, not just his immediate family. However, I wouldn't completely agree that he remains to be an advocate for his cultural rights and freedom. I'm sure that he would rather choose not to have the Japanese on Korean land, but he strived to fit in. And by that, I meant he wants the same things that the colonizers wanted. Their Western ideals and such.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Drianie wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 20:41 It's an interesting topic to think about. Yes, Korea was under Japanese rule, and many were suffering. But with Mr. Seoh's job security at the bank, he probably didn't feel the effects of the occupation as much as others at the time. He might have been more motivated to join the resistance if his family was in a more disadvantaged position. He is one of the lucky ones living a reasonably comfortable life with his family, and with a new addition to the family on the way, I doubt that there is much that would have convinced him to give it all up.
Oh, crap. It's embarrasing how I didn't even think of this. I remained to only think about the fact that he had a huge family depending on him, and that's the reason why he never fully joined the resistance. But what you said is true. If we look outside the book, we'll see that some people from the middle and uppee class can be emphatizing towards this. But would they leave the comforts of their lives to fight alongside the masses? Usually, no.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I would always advocate to fight for independence. It is better to die free than to live under the boot of your oppressors. A vivid example of this is the case of Mr. Koo. After working for the Japanese he eventually got tired of their yoke and became a freedom fighter himself.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

B Creech wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 07:21 Japan had occupied Korea for many years when the South Korean King was poisoned. Mr. Seoh worked in the Japanese Bank and had just gotten a promotion. His friend, Mr. Koo, approached him about joining an uprising to regain their independence from Japan. Mr. Seoh had a decision to make: fight for Korea's independence with his fellow Korean's, or protect his job, and probably his family. If you have read the 5th chapter, do you think he made the right decision?
I think he made a terrible decision. After a life of mediocrity and indulgence, this was finally an opportunity for him to make something for himself and stand for the freedom of his motherland, but he chose to bury his head in the sand and ignore the pressing issues of his country.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 08:37 These kinds of decisions are what I call "a rock and a hard place" decisions. One is about self-preservation (taking of yourself and your family), and the other is about the bigger picture (fighting for the future of your world). As a female, in the early 1900s, I would really only have the choice of supporting my husband's decision. I imagine that I would be conflicted and that I would probably choose self-preservation until things got to be bad. In reality, though, none of us really know what we'll do until we are actually in that situation.
While this is a somewhat safe view, one must always take risks to achieve what is necessary. In a world where your very culture and way of life is being wiped out you simply have to take a stand for what is right. I feel he should have joined them.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 02:25 For me I think he could have fought for independence, this was going to save many people including the family, for me I could have fought for independence, and save my country. I might secure a job there in future.
He chose to remain in the relative safety of the job rather than taking a risk and working towards the growth of your country. While his family was a very large part of his decision he could have done more in the long run by fighting for his country.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I completely understand why Mr. Seoh made the decision to hold onto his good job at the Japanese bank instead of jeopardizing his family's financial stability to join the freedom fighters. He didn't want his family to suffer and he believed that education was the key to a brighter future.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I've recently read Orwell's Animal Farm. It's intriguing that I find on this issue a lot of similarities. The farm animals were so willing to follow their pig leader that they gradually sacrificed their freedom. Mr. Seoh's behavior seems close to that of the farm animals.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I think his behaviour was cowardly but it is what I would expect from most people. Not everyone is going to have the courage to give up their security and possibly their lives to fight for their nation. Also, it's unreasonable to expect a man to abandon his family for the sake of the greater collective. If I was in his position I would do protect myself and my family too.
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

Who would support his sizeable extended family if he decided to go underground? Mr Seoh made the right decision. He put his family first yet at the same time aided his friend as he could. I see nothing duplicitous in his actions. His character is "damned if you do and damned if you don't".
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Mr Seoh ultimately made the decision to protect his wife, children and home by keeping his job in the bank, working for the Japanese. I think deep down he probably had an internal struggle with not being faithful to Korea and not joining his friend, Mr Koo in the uprising against Japan.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”