Embon's Transformation

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Embon's Transformation

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Throughout the novel, Embon passes through various stages: a spoiled brat, a child prodigy, an enthusiast university student, a sick recluse, and a freedom fighter. The narrator's words reflect the unbelievable changes in his personality: "From a sickly and frail mama's boy emerged a young man of resolution and determination." (loc. 2365) Do you think his transformation is realistically portrayed?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Haha. The emergence of Embon did seem too sudden, a little too fluid and fairytale like. But it seemed like an almost natural progression of growth to me, the way growth should be in ideal circumstances. So I'd call it ideal, maybe not realistic but ideal. We needed a sort of hero and we got one.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 03:21 Haha. The emergence of Embon did seem too sudden, a little too fluid and fairytale like. But it seemed like an almost natural progression of growth to me, the way growth should be in ideal circumstances. So I'd call it ideal, maybe not realistic but ideal. We needed a sort of hero and we got one.
Maybe more of an anti-hero. He always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but somehow manages to emerge more or less unscathed from all sorts of otherwise perilous situations. Even his arrest and interrogation seem like a hoax. Life is like this, though. In the end, I guess his experiences may have a dose of realism, after all.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I felt that his transformation was "about time." He needed to grow up, but in some ways he didn't. He ran from one responsibility to another, without accepting responsibility for all things. So, in some ways he stayed the spoiled brat and only did what he wanted to do.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I feel that Embon is an intriguing character. He undergoes metamorphosis throughout stages in his life. At the end of the book, I felt that fate had something more extraordinary in store for him. This, I believe, is propelled by the loss he suffered and the associations he forged throughout his life. It seems all these was molding and preparing him to be among the frontline against the oppressive regime.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I found Embon to be a fairly honest character. I think he definitely had some growing up to do, but I felt like it all happened rather quickly. One day, he is a "mama's boy" and the next, he's a political revolutionary. I think some of the aspects of the book seemed a little incredulous. One example of this is that Embon didn't end up going with Hain and the general because he was feeling ill and that trip, as we know, was very ill-fated. He also is released from prison right on the brink of his death. All this is to say that I felt like his character was written very conveniently.

I said this in another post, but I think it's worth repeating that Embon seems to form very close attachments and then cling to those attachments with all his might. At first, he clung to his friends in college, then to his mother, then to his friends again, and eventually to his country. I think a lot of this has to do with his need to please others. He seems to "go with the flow," so to speak.
Book Lover Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-jack.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Book Lover Jack »

I did not really see it as a radical transformation. I felt as he matured the other aspects of his personality and character that he always had became more pronounced. In his teenage years he was respectful, kinds, smart and respected; all virtues that point to a freedom fighting disposition. He had moods, I feel. But he was generally a good guy who wanted people to be treated fairly. It wasn't so much of a transformation but an awakening sides of his character and personality that lay dormant if not in the right environment
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Yes. Perhaps too good to be true, but I believe it's possible to happen in real life. We can't have the activists we have today if this story isn't anywhere near to what is happening in real life.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I liked that the author transformed him but it wasn't 100%. He still liked some of his aristocratic ways of life because it was all he knew. He did recognize when he became dependent on Duman again when he visited him at the university. It is a process and he continued to go through that process throught the book.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I think it is well written, he was influenced by his peers to become the revolutionary. It would make sense that it would be sudden.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I do. What I think is a bit underdeveloped are his motives. It is clear that the struggle must not have been easy when he was born into utmost luxury. But we never know, for example, how he passed from a brat that kicked elderly servants to a perfectly decent young man.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Embon's transformation isn't a sudden change. Had it been he went from being a spoilt brat directly to being a freedom activist then that would appear rushed. He had to experience some hardship in Japan and this gradually morphed him into the Embon he finally became.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 05:59
Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 03:21 Haha. The emergence of Embon did seem too sudden, a little too fluid and fairytale like. But it seemed like an almost natural progression of growth to me, the way growth should be in ideal circumstances. So I'd call it ideal, maybe not realistic but ideal. We needed a sort of hero and we got one.
Maybe more of an anti-hero. He always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but somehow manages to emerge more or less unscathed from all sorts of otherwise perilous situations. Even his arrest and interrogation seem like a hoax. Life is like this, though. In the end, I guess his experiences may have a dose of realism, after all.
His experiences were the major contributing factors to the Embon he finally became. It would have been a hoax if his maltreatments and ill-fortunes were absent when he became the activist Embon that he got to be.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I strongly believe that in real life people don't really change, they are who they are. Sometimes, shocking event can trigger a major change, but this is very rare. The author tried to emphasize the change by exaggerating a bit the two different sides of Embon. I think we should see it as a poetical license, even if the transformation is not very believable.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I felt that Embon probably changed during each step of his life, like most of us do. I think once he was at the university, the real transformation probably began. However, he was younger than most of the students, so he was probably deeply influenced by his friends and became more like them. It would be interesting to see how his final transformation at the end of the book affected his life.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”