Embon's Transformation

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Embon's Transformation

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author has taken her time explaining and developing Embon's character. One might not think at the beginning looking at the spoiled child that one day this one might be a revolutionist. But the author gives enough chance and time to the character to his transformation, so it doesn't seem unrealistic
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 17:46
Lunastella wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 10:46 I do. What I think is a bit underdeveloped are his motives. It is clear that the struggle must not have been easy when he was born into utmost luxury. But we never know, for example, how he passed from a brat that kicked elderly servants to a perfectly decent young man.
Embon was quite the spoilt brat to be honest. However I feel that he had never had any real consequences to his actions as his mother always sheltered him and so when he began to see the damages he was causing, it led to a sort of switch up in his psyche.
Sure, I get your point. He was, indeed, a spoilt brat. But he could have continued that way. His mother would've allowed it and he has wealth and even a wife. I don't have clear what made him give his life for the independence cause. Was it just an adrenaline search?
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I think it is realistic enough. Especially his part as a freedom fighter. If he had been portrayed as a valiant, active fighter in the cause it would have been unrealistic. As it stands, I see him as a passive supporter to his friends.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I think Embons transformation was realistically portrayed. I expected him to be more spoiled when he was a teen and adult because of the way he was raised, but that didn't appear to be the case. But it isn't unheard of to grow up with wealth and still be humble, so his transformation was realistic.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I think the story showed how he went through this transformation, the events that took place and the influences upon him. It was not a sudden change
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I don't think Embon had a full transformation. I think he still had some growing up to do. I think the author may have exaggerated his change to prove a point.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 03:21 Haha. The emergence of Embon did seem too sudden, a little too fluid and fairytale like. But it seemed like an almost natural progression of growth to me, the way growth should be in ideal circumstances. So I'd call it ideal, maybe not realistic but ideal. We needed a sort of hero and we got one.
This is true. His transformation was hardly realistic but it fit the ideal natural progression of growth necessary to move the story along.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Considering that he had peers with revolutionary ideals, it was only a matter of time that he became influenced by them. This was a good development for his character.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

His transformation is realistic and believable. I would expect a change in character in a child who has been sheltered all his life suddenly leaving home for University.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

I think Embon's transformation is a fantasy that most people have, going from zero to hero in no time. Though it may serve it's motivational and fictional purpose, I think it appears a bit too unrealistic.
Noilaus
Currently Reading: Russia Hoax
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noilaus.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Noilaus »

Sometimes environment shapes someone's personality. I can refer Embom's transformation to this statement. Embom was driven with a thrill of superiority because of how his mother cared for him from childhood, that's what made him a spoiled brat. School life influenced him to aim high, that's what made him an outstanding student. His friends influenced him to think about something he wasn't thinking about before, and this changed his perspective on life. A person's perspective on life can determine his/her lifestyle, and sometimes one's lifestyle can partially explain their personality.
WE BELIEVE IN EXCELLENCE.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

Realistically portrayed? Probably not, it seemed just a bit of sudden cow some vital parts of that process weren't shown. But necessary and satisfying nonetheless.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”