Embon's Transformation

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Re: Embon's Transformation

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel his "growing up" while overdue came a bit too easily. Despite all the experiences he had had he came out more or less unscathed and as a result there wasn't much character development until all of a sudden he evolved into a man. That's just my point of view.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

I believe it can happen in real life. Although it may not follow this particular steps, but his transformation is realistically portrayed. I have seen some of my mentors who had similar transformation.
Books Rule
Currently Reading: Worship the Pig
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-rule.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Books Rule »

Embon becomes much more responsible as he matures. But considering he ends up back home, still living much like before, is there truly a transformation? I expected two of his important relationships to have more impact on his life, which might have added to the sense of true transformation: meeting his father and discovering his side vs. the negative view he'd inherited from his mother; and the potential girlfriend (first love?) which we only get flashes of right before he enters an arranged marriage. Fleshing these storylines out more might have given more of a sense of actual transformation, at least for me.
enna_idEsrun
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enna-idesrun.html

Post by enna_idEsrun »

I think Embon's transformation was realistically portrayed. Given his upbringing and his single parentage, the lack of the influence of a strong male role model was evident. And I think the author was careful to demonstrate hints of imbalance in his character throughout his transformation. And though he jumped at the opportunity to do something he and others believed to be purposeful we see him lost and aimless soon after he had recovered from his illness. So given Embon's upbringing his transformation was indeed far from smooth and I think this was realistically portrayed by the author.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html

Post by Swirliegirlie »

As much as this was a fun read, I do not think the different stages of Embon's life are totally realistic. Getting everything he wanted and being seen as the perfect son does normally result in a spoiled brat. The fact that he became such a bright student at the top of his class does seem a bit far fetched for me. Embon becoming sickly and wanting the respect of his friends does fit naturally for me that he had such an immediate interest in becoming a freedom fighter.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The author has narrated the story wonderfully. I believe that the seeds of patriotism were already sowen in Embon's heart in his University days. It just happened that he got the opportunity to express his desires only when he met his friends in Shanghai.
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I was quite surprised by the character development of Embon. When he was pictured as a spoilt brat, I connected it with the bad omens of his birth. His transformation into a perfect son and an ideal student was unexpected. This was far from realistic for me, at least.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

Given what Embon passed through at each point in the book, I agree that his transformation was realistically portrayed. Due to his upbringing as an aristocrat, it is understandable that he'd turn out to be a spoiled child. As he advanced and was exposed to other ways of life different from what he knows, he began to see things differently. I think most people can relate to Embon's transformation.
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

The book portrays Embon as a compound of personalities. Earlier, he was a rich brat lured by wealth and comfort. Then, he became an enthusiastic and intelligent student. Then, due to his illness, he returned to his idle life fulfilled by comfort. Then, a sudden urge to meet his friends made him more aware about the actual situation of the country and he then becomes determined to fight for his country.
In the last, Embon changes for good. He realizes that his comfortable life made him blind to the needs of the country. The change in characters is well represented by the author, which transforms a spoiled kid into a matured youth for the betterment of the society.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I did not find this part totally believable. I believe children with permissive training are more likely grow up with deficient behaviour.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Even though Embons transformation particularly, from a mummies boy to a child prodigy, I'll still say that it was realistic. I mean, people change due to different things, so Embons growth to me is just perfect. There's nothing unrealistic about it.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I don't think he grew up all that much. I was disappointed in how he abandoned his wife. Similar to what his father did.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html

Post by Sararob06 »

I think Embon’s transformation overall isn’t too out of the ordinary. People grow up and change. The way Embon transitioned into the different stages of life left more to be desired. These stages of life were presented in a rapid way and I felt like the reasoning Embon changed so much was often left out.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Throughout this book, readers encounter a wide range of vulnerabilities, apprehensive beliefs, doubts, regrets, and shameful feelings of abandonment. Whether that abandonment is felt from a lover or an estranged father, the personal injury to the soul runs deep. Despite his sheltered upbringing, Embon still didn't have a perfect existence; he had to traverse his own bumpy path to growing up. Upholding a sense of integrity often came at a steep cost, and everyone eventually becomes shaped by the sum total combination of their experiences. They've always said that life is the toughest teacher of all: the test comes first and the lesson comes after. I think Embon's ultimate transformation was authentic and believable at the end.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I had a slight problem with Embon’s transformation. I had a hard time reconciling the obedient son and respectful student with the brat that kicked the palanquin carrier. I could understand who he was becoming, but I could not understand how he got to be the likable young man that he was. His mother spoiled him and his father was… well, his father. Other than his illness, there were no character-defining incidents in his life that we were privy to that would help to mold his character.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”