A Different Ending

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

A Different Ending

Post by Cristina Chifane »

In tone with his hesitant behavior, Embon is ready to give up his fight for independence and return to his mother's welcoming arms. We might have expected him to be more willing to avenge his friends' tragic deaths. However, it took some persuasion from Mr. Koo to convince him to continue with their mission and remain loyal to their patriotic cause. Did you expect a different ending? Can you think of another way Embon's story could have finished?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I did not feel like his story finished. Because others might look at this before they have finished the book, I don't want to say too much, but the ending felt abrupt and incomplete.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

**SPOILERS**
I feel like the story was ended very abruptly and left room for interpretation by the reader. It is clear that Embon feels detached from his mother when he begins his journey as a political activist. This is obvious in the brief letter he sent her. I think this detachment is somewhat mitigated by the death of his friends. I think he struggles with this decision and I think he struggles more than the reader is shown, but ultimately decides to fight for a better fate for Korea.

I feel like Embon develops very strong attachments to his friends and family (but not his wife) and clings to those attachments. Indeed, he says he will continue his friends' journies in their stead as they pass away. I think there could have been more added to the story about the guilt he felt about not going with his friend, Hain, and the General. I think fighting for Korea makes him feel more attached to his dead friends.
Book Lover Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-jack.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Book Lover Jack »

I didn't necessarily want a different ending but addition to how or ends. I felt it ended on a cliff hanger. More could have been written.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I do think the ending is not sufficient, as it's an open ending. While I expect to read about Koreans' revolutions against the Japanese, this book failed to deliver that. In the end, nothing really changes but Embon's resolve. I even feel that the youths' sacrifices were meaningless, as they hardly contributed to any success.
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

I personally wanted his relationship with his wife to be resolved in a better way. So, the least I could hope for is have him at least be good to her in the end.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I was about to get disappointed because I thought after all that's happened to him, it all ends up to the death of his friends and failure of their mission. I almost got disappointed, but I wouldn't have blamed him if he gave up. But he didn't! He found the rage and strength to continue the fight of his friends an countrymen. And what a way to end the book—I don't want any other ending.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I'm glad he decided to keep up the fight but I found the ending very weak. I wish that there had been some sort of dramatic vow or promise from Embon to get revenge for his friends. I am American so this ending may be a different feeling for those in Korean or Japanese cultures. It's always been so that Americans are used to the "Hollywood ending" where everything is kind of tied up in a neat little bow. Although there aren't any loose ends, we kind of don't have endings for certain characters. Also, even if Enbom had still said his last lines, but with more of an action to show emotion like loading a gun or holding a Korean flag, anything would make it a more dramatic scene.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I feel that the book had a very open ending. It might be possible that the author did that with the intent of writing a sequel that will be about how Embon will transform and avenge his friends' deaths.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 09:21 In tone with his hesitant behavior, Embon is ready to give up his fight for independence and return to his mother's welcoming arms. We might have expected him to be more willing to avenge his friends' tragic deaths. However, it took some persuasion from Mr. Koo to convince him to continue with their mission and remain loyal to their patriotic cause. Did you expect a different ending? Can you think of another way Embon's story could have finished?
My problem with the ending is that it has too many loose ends. What happened to Lady Sougyon or to Embon's wife? The ending is too abrupt for my taste.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I am surprised he stayed loyal and continued with the patriotic cause. I felt that he was emotionally weak. I thought he would go home to his wife and mother and give up. The ending left a lot of questions. I think the author set herself up to write a sequel. If no sequel is planned then the ending was a bit abrupt.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I wasn't particularly thrilled by Embon's ending. There wasn't a clear message from Embon saying he would avenge his friends or anything . I think he just decided to continue to fight because of the weight of guilt he felt for their deaths. It would have been a nicer ending had there been some sort of dramatic declaration of Embon's renewed passion for the fight due to the loss of his friends.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I feel like the ending left a lot to be desired. I was not at all satisfied with it. Embon's character could have been explored a whole lot more but we were left high and dry. But Embon surprised me, I had expected him to pack up and return to the comfort of his home but he held on. Judging by his determination in the end, I suspect he continued serving under Mr Koo.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
jsirbas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jsirbas »

I too felt that the book ended too abruptly. I would have liked more. Where did Embom end up? How about his marriage? How did his illness hinder him in the fight? I think that this left the reader wanting more- not necessarily a bad thing.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think the story of Embon is just beginning. I am guessing there will be a sequel. So many ends are left open, and Embon will be back to tie them. He still has to hear the continuation of his father’s story.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”