How likable is the narrator?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Icon How likable is the narrator?

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Starting this book, I really felt a dislike for the narrator. She seemed to think she was above everyone else, and the way she treated them was inferior (or at least that's how I took it). Is this a product of culture and how she was raised, meaning you feel like you can forgive her, or is she really just unlikable? Y'all might like her, but for the moment, I just really don't like her attitude :lol:
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Indeed as the book start the narrator was unlikable, I agree with you, that she was superior than everyone else but, as I continue reading this book, I began liking her character traits, as she started seeing opportunities within her.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Having lived in an Asian culture for three and a half years, I totally feel like it is a product of her culture. As you read further (if you haven't finished yet) you will see a different side of her than at the beginning. It's important to look at what is said, but also what isn't said. In some ways I feel the story followed too many people anyway.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

I think that when the story progresses, you get to see more of her side and understand why she is acting or thinking a certain way. I actually like her in so many ways.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

The story starts with a narrator who is unlike for everyone from the readers. But with the passage of time she she finds her worth and acknowledges her Infront of other people.
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

I personally like the narrative, the narrator and the manner in which it is narrated. However, something that bothered me were the shifts in time. the narrator made the story a bit confusing with them.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

From the very beginning her attitude was a turn-off to me. She felt unnecessarily condescending and i didnt like that all.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I liked her attitude, it showed just how spoilt she was but at again, it proved that having wealth is not only thing that everyone should aspire in life. When she saw that couple when she was passing through the town is just the right demonstration for that.
Book Lover Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-jack.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Book Lover Jack »

I liked her from the beginning.
Maybe it's because I felt sorry for her. The author is a genius in that she made the readers feel exactly the way the lower class people felt about her: dislike initially but she becomes known as a kind, gentle and generous woman by the town, first as a rumor then confirmed by her son's father-in-law
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Maybe in the beginning, yes. I expected the attitude from the start as she's a daughter of a prince. Also having watched a lot of shows with this theme, I don't even get turned off anymore. :lol2: I already know there are something else under that surface. However, it does tell people a lesson about the kind of personality a person develops in that kind of society and class.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Compared to how badly she could have mistreated people around her based on her status, she appeared to be good-natured. I neither liked her nor disliked her, for she behaved exactly how I expected her to behave.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I don't dislike Lady Sougyon, to tell the truth. She is royalty, so she has the right to place herself higher than everyone, especially when most of those around her are indeed inferior to her in social standing (like April, Duman, the servants, or her in-laws). Maybe she appears to be a pampered princess, but that's because her family treats her like one. Besides, I don't think nobles back then would bother to talk to their retainers like she does, and they wouldn't be so forgiving either. Her letting April's man go without punishment is proof that Lady Sougyon is quite likable. This is why her servants are loyal to her, and she maintains good relationships with her family as well as the ladies in the palace.

As for her marriage, she is but another victim of her father's thinkings and of feudalism, where children (especially girls) had to obey their parents. Embon's husband resented Lady Sougyon because of that arranged marriage, yet it's him who didn't have the guts to elope with the one he loved. What's more, he is shameless enough to leech off of his wife. Due to this, I believe she is allowed to look down on him.
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

lavkathleen wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 00:48 Maybe in the beginning, yes. I expected the attitude from the start as she's a daughter of a prince. Also having watched a lot of shows with this theme, I don't even get turned off anymore. :lol2: I already know there are something else under that surface. However, it does tell people a lesson about the kind of personality a person develops in that kind of society and class.
I agree with you! I think it is really interesting how society and class can impact on someone's upbringing and how that can change their behaviour towards others!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

It really just depends on how far you read into the book. In the beginning, it was really hard to like the narrator but as you keep reading the narrator starts to grow on you and becomes more likable in time.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I like Lady Sougyon a lot. I think what might be perceived as arrogance is a matter of the way Korean society was built. And she's smart. I don't know if you already read the part where she talks to the King, for example. She is also compassionate, as you'll see later on. I don't want to spoil it for you.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”