Do you think that the signs or "palza" that prevailed during Embon's birth affected him later in life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Re: Do you think that the signs or "palza" that prevailed during Embon's birth affected him later in life?

Post by Gabby S14 »

Looking back at the book, I think the palza does have an impact on Embon's success. It's mostly subtle, but the biggest example that comes to mind is Embon's school career. Despite being a high achieving student, Embon never received credit for his schooling, receiving neither a degree from his primary education nor from his time in university. This lack of proof, and the fact that he was unable to finish his college degree, attest to his underachievement in the academic realm. Embon also failed to have a satisfying marriage. Not wanting to take the risk with his Japanese crush, he instead settled for an unhappy, arranged marriage. So, in these social spheres of academia and marriage, Embon was underachieving.
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

I believe in superstitions but I don't think that the palza affected him. I think that the preset beliefs influenced him. He probably never tried hard enough because the signs said that he would always be an underachiever. It is true that he failed in life a few times but people can try again and again until they finally succeed. If they don't succeed in a certain area, they might need to try something else that would suit them better.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I did not think much about this aspect of the story but if a child is born into a society where birth years are super important and his birth year is not a good one, I would imagine that it would have an effect. If everyone treats you like a loser and tradition and history tells you that you will end up a loser, it's hard not to let that dictate your life.
Betty Gitonga
Currently Reading: Black Cherry Betrayal
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betty-gitonga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Betty Gitonga »

I think the author did a good job of portraying how the palza affected Embon's life. They strongly believed in the signs in their society, and so every occurrence in life was interpreted as fulfilling the signs. But for Embon, he had a choice to pick himself up again after his illness, which he eventually did. In that respect, I think he overcame the signs.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I think it was just by a mere coincidence that his misfortune at adulthood mirrors his birth. His arrest and incarceration that led to health complications had nothing to do with his birth, according to me.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Twylla wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 13:51 I don't think he was an underachiever at all. He was a child prodigy all through school. Then his life was transformed from a pampered spoiled self-centered prince to a revolutionary who would have willingly given his life in the fight for the independence of Korea. He wasn't successful with money or fame, but he accomplished good things in his life. I think the "palza" has the same credibility as our astrology - none.
Changing from a spoiled prince to a brave fighter is undoubtedly a great achievement. Therefore, it cannot be said that Embon didn’t achieve anything. To me, he defeated his bad sighs.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

Slater678 wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 04:14 The protagonist's, Embon's, birth occurred in the Year of the Rat, in midsummer and at high noon. These signs or "palza," as discussed elsewhere in the book, portended that Embon was doomed to a life of underachievement. Do you think the author brought out satisfactorily this aspect of underachievement? If so, how did she illustrate it?
Frankly, I was waiting for a big show down that justified the palza, but that didn't really happen. However when I think of it, it has been quite cleverly explained how he is never able to finish any school, has no ambition or personality, is a careless husband, and it takes him a whole book to find a purpose. If I think of it in this light, the author has done a good job of illustrating Embon's underachievement in all aspects.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
cjl1995
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjl1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by cjl1995 »

I think they were somewhat correct. But I think it was how people viewed him that made him an "underachiever." He always seemed to only finish his goal part way. He worked hard and was smart but never seemed to earn that diploma.
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

Kelyn wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 23:22 I'm afraid I viewed this as somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Due to the timing of his birth, he was viewed by all around him as doomed to be an underachiever. Imagine growing up surrounded by that negativity aimed at you 24/7. Eventually, you would come to see yourself as others see you. After all (to a child's thinking), why would absolutely everyone think that about you if it weren't true? So yes, it most definitely had an effect on Embon's life.
I agree- once you convince someone they won't achieve anything, it is hard to say whether their lack of success is because of that negativity, or whether they lacked that personality trait all along. I think anyone could be successful if they have support.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Despite the hearing many times that he is a failure because of his Palza signs, Embon was still able to achieve a lot and never underachieved in any way.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I don't think the signs themselves were the problem but the constant reminders of their sway over his life. That kind of negative reinforcement can greatly affect a person, as I think it did Embon.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”