Do you think that the signs or "palza" that prevailed during Embon's birth affected him later in life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Re: Do you think that the signs or "palza" that prevailed during Embon's birth affected him later in life?

Post by Harty Muli »

simodeeh wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 11:20 I completely agree with you, I mean, look at him, despite having gone to study grammar, he did not acquire any certificate. The plaza thing also made him believe that he never achieves anything
Much worse, the older generation perpetrates that belief to the younger generation. That's why he was able to say his mother told him about the effects of the palza. I would have expected his mother maybe not to discuss it with him given its negative message.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Twylla wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 13:51 I don't think he was an underachiever at all. He was a child prodigy all through school. Then his life was transformed from a pampered spoiled self-centered prince to a revolutionary who would have willingly given his life in the fight for the independence of Korea. He wasn't successful with money or fame, but he accomplished good things in his life. I think the "palza" has the same credibility as our astrology - none.
Yes I completely agree with you that there are different ways of assessing success. But apparently the inhabitants seemed to hold their beliefs in high regard because from Embon's own admission we all live by our palza. So I'm not sure if he'd consider himself a success in life in spite the freedom fighter stance he had.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

enna_idEsrun wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 16:03 I do think that the author brought out the point of Embon's underachievement satisfactorily. While demonstrating Embon's giftedness we saw the author demonstrate how, as by some strange misfortune, every opportunity for Embon to receive an accolade evaded him. This way the author skillfully illustrated Embon's portentous 'palza'.
This is so true. I especially sympathized with the fact that he didn't manage to obtain any school or college certificate in spite of his prodigy status. Misfortune seemed to streak him all the way.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Swirliegirlie wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 20:43 It seems that Embon was able to come out against his Palza signs. I think he achieved a lot in this novel. But maybe that because he heard a lot as a kid how much his signs predict failure.
In some way I agree with you especially if you consider the fact that he forsook his life of luxury in favour of a spartan life in the wilderness while fighting for his country's freedom. Many would consider this selflessness hence a mark of success.
Annette M
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Annette M »

I do not think it affected him, despite his struggles he came out alive and determined to continue with the fight.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Yes, in my opinion Embon's life is very much affected by the palza of his birth time. The author has done a great job to portray Embon's life and his underachievements.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Annette M wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 13:55 I do not think it affected him, despite his struggles he came out alive and determined to continue with the fight.
I agree it could have been worse. The fact that he went to China to fight meant that he knew he had a brighter future in a free Korea.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Devalsodha wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 14:17 Yes, in my opinion Embon's life is very much affected by the palza of his birth time. The author has done a great job to portray Embon's life and his underachievements.
I though so too. I especially liked how Embon was projected as a prodigy who unfortunately was not able to get any certificate to show for it.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

My son and I were born in the Year of the Rat. I remember my friends telling me that rats were survivors.

I am conflicted with the balance of destiny and free will. I do not perceive Embon as an underachiever—late bloomer, maybe—but not underachiever. He just had to find his passion. Although other people may be hurt by his decisions, he must define his success.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Slater678 wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 11:30 Yes I agree with you because for one, he didn't get a single certificate in spite of attending grammar school, high school and college.
But that's because he kept on advancing early to the next school level! Personally, I think he should've still gotten certificates. It's not like he stopped going to school or didn't reach expectations, it was because he was too smart to stay there. So if I'm going to write a list of his underachievements, his lack of certificates wouldn't be on it.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Kelyn wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 23:22 I'm afraid I viewed this as somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Due to the timing of his birth, he was viewed by all around him as doomed to be an underachiever. Imagine growing up surrounded by that negativity aimed at you 24/7. Eventually, you would come to see yourself as others see you. After all (to a child's thinking), why would absolutely everyone think that about you if it weren't true? So yes, it most definitely had an effect on Embon's life.
Perhaps... But the way I thought about this, though, was these same people would've been the cause of that doom. But the struggles that Embon experienced didn't come from them. It's not like they were expecting him to get very ill or make it difficult for him to finish his studies or drive him away from the love of his life. But I get that what you're trying to say is that the negative energies of these thoughts is what affected his life.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Slater678 wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 11:40 I agree with your comments totally. It's likely Embon stuck to those beliefs about him as well since at one point he tells his friends that his mom once told him that "we all live by our palza."
This is so frustrating to think about. It's funny, actually. His mother believes in palza but also tries her hardest to still give him a good future. I guess she's still performing her duties no matter how dark she thinks that future is. In the end, all that she set up for him was for nothing because they weren't the things that he needed. In the end, it was still his choice.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

bardhaselmani wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 17:24 I personally am not a believer in superstitions. so to be honest, I did not pay much attention to them. but now that you mention it, I realize that might be an effect that the author might have tried to convey and I think it is a good use of symbolism.
I partly don't believe in superstitions, too. However, in this story, I had to pay attention to it as it is part of their culture and therefore, a vital part of the story itself. I looked at things positively, though, and so it confused me when I came to the conclusion that Embon didn't have a bad life, as opposed to what the palza foretold. But if you think about it, being an activist is truly difficult—all the kinds of difficult that his palza symbolized.
Kathleen Lavador

Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

Embon was not a total failure although I think that his belief in the palza affected his life. He was a prodigy in school and later became a freedom fighter. At some point, he began to believe that the signs were his fate.
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

This is a great example of how our beliefs affect our behavior and subconscious. Not all beliefs have a basis is fact, yet still directly affect those who hold them. I think this is one of those cases where a cultural belief, although it is basically just a superstition, results in people viewing Embon a certain way, and he then is deeply affected psychologically by how the people around him view him, just as we all are. In this case he ends up living up to the expectations of others, even though someone from a different culture and perspective can’t see any concrete reason for these expectations.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”