Do you think that the signs or "palza" that prevailed during Embon's birth affected him later in life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Do you think that the signs or "palza" that prevailed during Embon's birth affected him later in life?

Post by Harty Muli »

The protagonist's, Embon's, birth occurred in the Year of the Rat, in midsummer and at high noon. These signs or "palza," as discussed elsewhere in the book, portended that Embon was doomed to a life of underachievement. Do you think the author brought out satisfactorily this aspect of underachievement? If so, how did she illustrate it?
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Yes, I would agree that these palza definitely had an effect on Embon's life as he did experience a life of underachievement. The author made a very good attempt but i feel she could have illustrated it better.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm afraid I viewed this as somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Due to the timing of his birth, he was viewed by all around him as doomed to be an underachiever. Imagine growing up surrounded by that negativity aimed at you 24/7. Eventually, you would come to see yourself as others see you. After all (to a child's thinking), why would absolutely everyone think that about you if it weren't true? So yes, it most definitely had an effect on Embon's life.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I feel that his being born under these signs did affect him. His elders were already programmed to see him as an underachiever and that colored his life from the time he was born. It is deep-rooted in their culture to follow the signs so closely.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I think the omens are half-right. Embon had a pampered childhood and a successful school life. Even in Japan, he achieved quite a lot of knowledge and comrades. However, after the turning point where he was forced to go back to Korea, he lost his will and became a shell of himself. This was where the omen came true, as what he had after that was given to him and not things he obtained by his own hands. The author did a good job portraying this. In my opinion, whether Embon is an underachiever depends on himself. As long as he has a goal, he will have a productive life.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 05:58 Yes, I would agree that these palza definitely had an effect on Embon's life as he did experience a life of underachievement. The author made a very good attempt but i feel she could have illustrated it better.
Yes I agree with you because for one, he didn't get a single certificate in spite of attending grammar school, high school and college.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Kelyn wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 23:22 I'm afraid I viewed this as somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Due to the timing of his birth, he was viewed by all around him as doomed to be an underachiever. Imagine growing up surrounded by that negativity aimed at you 24/7. Eventually, you would come to see yourself as others see you. After all (to a child's thinking), why would absolutely everyone think that about you if it weren't true? So yes, it most definitely had an effect on Embon's life.
I agree with your comments totally. It's likely Embon stuck to those beliefs about him as well since at one point he tells his friends that his mom once told him that "we all live by our palza."
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

VernaVi wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 20:03 I feel that his being born under these signs did affect him. His elders were already programmed to see him as an underachiever and that colored his life from the time he was born. It is deep-rooted in their culture to follow the signs so closely.
This is so true that his mother wished that she could have given birth to him a few hours before so that he could have been born in the night, or a few weeks later so that he could have been born during the harvest time. This shows how much they believed in the fate that was brought about by the signs.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Sou Hi wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 04:35 I think the omens are half-right. Embon had a pampered childhood and a successful school life. Even in Japan, he achieved quite a lot of knowledge and comrades. However, after the turning point where he was forced to go back to Korea, he lost his will and became a shell of himself. This was where the omen came true, as what he had after that was given to him and not things he obtained by his own hands. The author did a good job portraying this. In my opinion, whether Embon is an underachiever depends on himself. As long as he has a goal, he will have a productive life.
Very true. Unfortunately, the friends he made in Japan also made him end up in jail because of the sensitive topics they used to discuss. Landing in jail, on the other hand, made him sick because of the inhumane conditions that existed there. Among another reason, this in turn made the prison authorities decide to repatriate Embon back to Korea. So, as long as he was active in furthering his life positively everything went his way.
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

I personally am not a believer in superstitions. so to be honest, I did not pay much attention to them. but now that you mention it, I realize that might be an effect that the author might have tried to convey and I think it is a good use of symbolism.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I don't see Embon's life as a failure or waste or anything along those lines. The palza might have foretold unfortune and his life was full of struggles, but his life was more than that. The capitalist world has a twisted perspective on what counts as achievement, but for a person like Embon to find himself and come to a resolution to drop everything and fight for the rights of his countrymen—that's an achievement and a life with some sense of satisfaction.

So I guess what I'm saying is signs like that can't be trusted entirely.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Kelyn wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 23:22 I'm afraid I viewed this as somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Due to the timing of his birth, he was viewed by all around him as doomed to be an underachiever. Imagine growing up surrounded by that negativity aimed at you 24/7. Eventually, you would come to see yourself as others see you. After all (to a child's thinking), why would absolutely everyone think that about you if it weren't true? So yes, it most definitely had an effect on Embon's life.
Yes, precisely. It was as a result of the continuous negativity directed at him. Eventually these palza had embedded themselves in his mindset to the point where he expects himself to fail no matter what effort he puts into any activity. Children are very impressionable so he would have grown up believing all the palza. So they did have an effect on Embon's life.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Slater678 wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 11:30
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 05:58 Yes, I would agree that these palza definitely had an effect on Embon's life as he did experience a life of underachievement. The author made a very good attempt but i feel she could have illustrated it better.
Yes I agree with you because for one, he didn't get a single certificate in spite of attending grammar school, high school and college.
Yes exactly. All through his life from grammar school all the way to college he achieved nothing nd had no certificate to show for it. He eventually had to return to Japan where he gave up totally on ever achieving anything. The palza definitely had n effect on him.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

bardhaselmani wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 17:24 I personally am not a believer in superstitions. so to be honest, I did not pay much attention to them. but now that you mention it, I realize that might be an effect that the author might have tried to convey and I think it is a good use of symbolism.
In my opinion, I gathered that the superstition was part of the wider belief system the inhabitants of that kingdom held dear. So I think the author illustrated its effects well.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

lavkathleen wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 22:52 I don't see Embon's life as a failure or waste or anything along those lines. The palza might have foretold unfortune and his life was full of struggles, but his life was more than that. The capitalist world has a twisted perspective on what counts as achievement, but for a person like Embon to find himself and come to a resolution to drop everything and fight for the rights of his countrymen—that's an achievement and a life with some sense of satisfaction.

So I guess what I'm saying is signs like that can't be trusted entirely.
Yes I get your point. Embon saw purpose in joining his friends for the struggle to free their land of Japanese occupation. Even though they were learned former students of Hokkaido Imperial University they were poor and had to rely on handouts for their sustenance. In spite of that they didn't perceive themselves as underachievers as they were fighting for a just cause. So success means differently to different people regardless of any signs.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”