Name a new fact your learned about Korean culture from reading the book

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Claudia DCD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorcpenz.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Re: Name a new fact your learned about Korean culture from reading the book

Post by Claudia DCD »

Eutoc wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 19:48 I never knew Korea was oppressed in the hands of Japan in the early 20th century. The history shared in the book was quite captivating.
I knew there was bad blood, which is what made reading this that much more important to me. I could read history books but story makes me understand the emotional effects much better. As much as I'm falling in love with Japanese culture through their art and shows, as I fall in love with Kpop and kdramas, I am trying to understand the cultural context, understanding that I have no idea half the stuff that went down between them not that long ago.
Claudia DCD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorcpenz.html

Post by Claudia DCD »

Sararob06 wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 11:35 I learned that Korean surnames are traditionally monosyllabic. I’m not terribly familiar with Asian culture and know very little about traditional naming standards from any region. I found the part about their disdain for the multisyllabic Japanese names interesting also.
There's been an undercurrent of disdain that pops up, not often, but just out of the blue and in a way I didn't understand, from Korean and Chinese citizens. So I found reading about the time period of Japanese expansion and war really important to help me step at least slightly closer to understanding. I get the point in pride by putting another down, especially if that person/culture hurt you in the past. Like Irish and Scottish can make fun of each other mercilessly meanwhile what we have in common and how close we are, we could get along so well too. But there is a past there, of direct conflict, that feeds the bitterness a bit.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I learned a bit of Korean history which I had never really known about - from Japanese rule, the caste system there, and the role Russia played early in the 20th century. I'll enjoy finding out more.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html

Post by Swirliegirlie »

I learned so much about Korean culture while reading The Vanished. One part that stood out to me was the different types of wedding ceremony rituals performed, most specifically having to bow all the way to the ground to each of you In-Laws. EEEEEEK
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I regrettably know very little about Korean culture, so I learned a lot from this book. Many things stayed with me. One that I find myself thinking about a lot is how completely unacceptable divorce was at that time. I believe Lady Sougyon was born into a family that loved and valued her (as much as their cultural norms allowed, but it's undeniable that both her father and brother cared about her), and even in her situation (or especially), she simply wasn't allowed to divorce her husband who brought her so much shame and grief.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It was interesting to learn about their traditional inheritance law. Back then, it was the law of the land that the first-born male heir inherits everything.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

Learning about the so called "gender rules" was a big shock for me...the fact that brides have to do as they are trained during their wedding and that they are known by their husbands is just unbearable.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

Having a male son during that time was very important. While having a daughter was not something they look forward to, sadly. Also, divorce was such a taboo back then as well.
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

I never knew that just like many other countries, Koreans also had the belief wherein sons were considered superior to daughters. The mother feel pressured to give birth to a son. If the statistics are looked today, no one would ever realize that at some point of time, this was the case in Korea.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I learned about their wedding proceedings. The woman has to bow to all members of the husband's family, and she must keep her head down throughout the ceremony.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

While it's not surprising that young women were expected to be quiet, obedient, and patient (not short-tempered, rebellious, or outspoken) in those days, I was surprised to read about the tradition that mentioned pouring melted wax over a young bride's eyes on the day of her wedding so that she wouldn't see too deeply into her future union before the time was right. :shock:
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

I had no idea about the rule of Japan over Korea at all until this book. Honestly, I learnt a lot from this book as there was a lot historically and culturally that I did not know. It has definitely made me want to look into it more.
lina_muktar31
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by lina_muktar31 »

That divorce was looked down upon, that the Japanese ruled over them and the gender norms.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I found the details about arranged marriages to be quite interesting. First, they were married at a young age (13 and 14). Second, they had not seen each other previous to the wedding day. (I also enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the dress she wore and the food that was served! It was all very vivid and informative.)
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

The marginalized women roles and the influence of aristocracy and men.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”