Mr. Seoh.

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Mr. Seoh.

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Mr. Seoh will find out about Embon. But I don't think Koo would be the person who will tell him about the happenings. Mr. Seoh will find it disturbing as he will be concerned about his daughter's life.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

RHD wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 10:58 Mr. Seoh is a true representative of the middle class of today. They ignore the real and burning issues simply because they are doing 'okay' financially. All they really care about is the welfare of family and friends. He gave Mr. Koo cash because this is 'all he could do' for a more intelligent friend doing more - in a foreign land! He married her daughter off just so she could climb the ladder. Again, it's all about financial freedom.
I agree with this completely! Mr Seoh is a perfect representation of parents or adults today. He preferred to bury his head and ignore the pressing issues all around him simply because he himself was doing okay. It was quite hilarious that his daughter now becomes the wife of a man who goes against his whole ideology and goes on to join the very freedom fighters he despised.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Sithmi wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 07:16 I think he will eventually find the about his son-in-law joining the Korean Independence Movement, may be through mr. Koo or through his son-in-law
It's very possible that it would be Mr. Koo as he knows already and in the course of everyday life it would slip out. It would be quite the moment of hilarity to see his face as he realizes he sent his daughter to be married to one of the very freedom fighters he stood against.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Swirliegirlie wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 19:10 Hmmmm I think eventually Mr. Seoh would have found out. It seemed like the characters in the story loved a juicy gossip. I hope that in his heart Mr. Seoh would of been proud of his son-in-law. Even though he doesn't fight himself, which I think is due to his family depending on his income to survive, nobody wants to see their culture extinct.
You make a valid point. I myself hope that upon hearing of his son-in-law's actions he will be inspired to begin to fight against the oppression of Japanese rule and help out in anyway he can because as you say, even Mr. Seoh would hate to see his very culture obliterated.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

bardhaselmani wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 11:47 I think he would eventually get to know.
He may not like Embon's decision but he can't do much about it either.
I thinks its ironic that he suggests to Embon not to go away so quickly after he had just gotten married.
So it's in a way foreshadowing
It's quite the ironic twist that almost immediately after Mr. Seoh advised Embon not to go away after his marriage that he then had to leave to join up with the freedom fighters after all Mr. Seoh's obvious objections to them.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

bardhaselmani wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 11:47 I think he would eventually get to know.
He may not like Embon's decision but he can't do much about it either.
I thinks its ironic that he suggests to Embon not to go away so quickly after he had just gotten married.
So it's in a way foreshadowing
It's quite the ironic twist that almost immediately after Mr. Seoh advised Embon not to go away after his marriage that he then had to leave to join up with the freedom fighters after all Mr. Seoh's obvious objections to them.
Cassie_Megan
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-megan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Cassie_Megan »

I do not think he did found out but for sure will at some point. The information did not circulate as fast as nowadays, so he will probably find out through someone else telling him.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Secrets cannot be hidden forever. So he will know someday. And he will not like that very much and we do not know how he will react to that news. And who knows, maybe he will walk to his grave without getting to know it at all
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I think he eventually found out that Embon joined the movement because he (Embon) was gone so long and word travels quickly (even before telephones and social media).

Yes, I agree that it's ironic how Mr. Seoh didn't want to take part in the independence movement and then his daughter gets married to an man who joins it!
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I think if he gets to know, he might have no hard feelings. I think he passively supports his friend Mr. Koo by giving him some money and food when he comes around.
Betty Gitonga
Currently Reading: Black Cherry Betrayal
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betty-gitonga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Betty Gitonga »

Mr. Seoh would probably have found out about it. I think he may not be pleased with Embon's decision because it means that his daughter is left lonely at home. He himself had not entered the fight for his family's sake. While he admired Mr. Koo's willingness to do so, I think he would be less forgiving to Embon for his daughter's sake.
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

I think that Mr. Seoh would eventually find out that his son-in-law joined the Korean Independence Movement. I think that he would be proud of him as a patriot. As a family man, he would feel saddened for his daughter to not be there for her as a husband.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I think he would eventually get to know, and I wish that was included in the story. I would have loved to see Mr.Seoh's reaction when realizes his son-in-law does what he was too scared to do. But my prediction is Embon probably ends up murdered or injured fighting for Korean independence and Mr. Seoh would probably be happy he never joined.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I think he'll end up knowing but I don't know how or when. Possibly in a context of coincidence or something like that.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Mr. Seoh is surely a good man from the looks of it, he just wants his family out of harms way so I can understand why he would be concerned about Embon's involvement.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”