How much does society come into play in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Re: How much does society come into play in the book?

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Social status played a vast role in this book. Social rank decided who you married, where you went to school, the jobs you could obtain, and the villages that you lived in. It was the one thing that each character portrayed struggled with. They each were trying to find a place in society that would spare them from embarrassment or pressures to join the revolt against Japan. From the beginning of the book to the end, social status was discussed.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I thought society was the point of this book. The author wants us to see what society was like for those who are fortunate enough to achieve or inherit wealth and those who were not. I think Embon and his friends chose to fight against society is a major point of the book, so I think society was critical to this book. Without it, the book would have no context and a minimal story.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

It looks to me that this book has depicted Korea's society quite well. We have Lady Sougyon and her family who represent the nobles. Embon and his friends represent the educated youth with modern mindsets. Mr. Seoh and Hain's father symbolize the yangban class who values their family and the country's future. Mr. Koo belongs to those who want to free their nation from the invaders.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I have to say it plays a huge part in the book. It was very evident in what we see in the culture and the history. I think it perfectly captures the realities that society plays in people's lives.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Society does play a crucial part in the values we form and the ways we act, especially the social expectations of elders and those older than us.
Trustedbook
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trustedbook »

Society plays a crucial role in the society, in that everything about the book comes from the society. It's culture, norms, etc all comes out from the society.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Society and it's views seem very important in this book. The hierarchies, traditions and opinions all seem to affect the characters, their choices and behaviours
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

The novel clearly shows that society does play a big role in how everyone should conduct themselves. We can see in the story that the elders are the one who uphold most of these.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 20:44 Society has a large impact on the social norms and values that we hold towards other people, especially those of different classes. How much do you think that comes into play in this book?
I think the society played a greater role in the novel.
First Embon's mother had to suffer due to the society and then the elders considered him weak.
This affected the story a lot.
Muzafar Iqbal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muzafar-iqbal.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Muzafar Iqbal »

Society is a key aspect of this book. I think the author did a great job of highlighting how important society is throughout the book.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

The effects of societal rules and norms will forever have an effect on everyday individual life. That was well portrayed in this book by the likes of Sougyon, Embon and many others. Their ranks, stations and situations were clearly dictated by their social reality.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”