How much does society come into play in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

How much does society come into play in the book?

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Society has a large impact on the social norms and values that we hold towards other people, especially those of different classes. How much do you think that comes into play in this book?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I would say that society has a lot of effect in this book. Embon's elders viewed him as a failure, an underachiever which in turn influenced other members of the society to see him the same way as someone with little value. I would say society comes into play quite a lot.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

I think that society does play a big role in the novel. We see how the elders are the ones who call the shots and how everyone under them acts and should act.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think society is the core of the novel. All the characters' actions are society-driven. Take Embon's marriage, for example. Or even his decision to fight for independence is motivated for the desire of a free society. If something, I think this book is more society, than character driven. And I find it fascinating.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

Society played a major factor in this novel and made it very interesting to read. The social norms of Korea at the time is so different than the way we live life in America now. It was nice to have a detailed explanation of the narrators thought process throughout the story. It gave me so much insight into the culture at the time.
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

The society's standards during that time really played a huge with the characters' actions. I remember Lady Sougyon wanting to get divorce to her husband, but her brother strongly forbid her to do so because it would bring shame to their family's name and the future generation.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Nursemaids, palaces, courtyards, influential friends, and jeweled tiaras adorned those with access to gilded cushions and prestigious schools, but even wealth and class couldn’t prevent loveless marriages or estranged husbands. Arranged unions were fully expected for certain social classes, and that expectation was the social norm in every way.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

It's very interesting how much society played such a huge part in this book. The social norms often plays a certain role on how the characters act the way they did. It's very interesting to read about this since we live in a world where the society always dictate what we should do.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Society has a huge role to play. For example, everything about this book is driven by societal conditions. From the marriage of Embon and others, the value placed on marriage and how it should be is also affected by society. So, yeah.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The society in the book played a huge part. All the characters actions and motivations are based on the society they’re living in at the time. This is the time of arranged marriages, traditional gender norms, and, on top of it all, this is the time of where there is a brewing revolution.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Society plays a vital role in the book. The cultures and history of Korea could be learnt from this book.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Society always dictates the good and even the bad rules. We do things based on what we believe or have been taught or have learnt from the various day to day interactions. For example, in Korea it was arranged marriages and class based on wealth. Today it is what you example dress in will determine how serious or a dependable person you are.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

During the Japanese occupation of Korea, foreign aggression and a widespread food scarcity meant feeling consistently scared, hungry, and poor (but that was only true for some social classes). Ominous birth signs could accompany any newborn, and male infants were obviously much preferred. Resistance fighters and revolutionaries stood up for what they believed in, while gender segregation and ancestral patterns of behavior influenced even the most progressive mindsets. I enjoyed seeing how Embon and his school friends reacted to various social pressures and scenarios.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

Society plays a role in all stories whether it is subtle or more obvious to the readers. I am always fascinated by different cultures especially when it is one of the plot lines in a book such as this one. Asian society is a collectivistic society where honor is shown towards elders in the community and decisions are made based on how they will affect the family not just the individual. In the above example of the elders and their treatment of Embon, it shows the classic view that those who are older always know best and going against the norms of society is discouraged. It is also not surprising to me how societies modernize, but culture stays the same which is shown by parents favoring boys over girls.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 20:44 Society has a large impact on the social norms and values that we hold towards other people, especially those of different classes. How much do you think that comes into play in this book?
That's... a lot to unpack. In this book, we see how different early 20th century Korea was, compared to where the world is today. Characters are of different genders and classes, which affected their view of the world. From being individuals to being parents and spouses, the decisions they make are affected by these aspects, which in turn affects the people around them. We know of the toxic effects of their social norms, but it was a little surprising to know that even those who are oppressed dig themselves deeper into a grave (I'm talking about Embon's father). It's basically the core of the story (any story, really).
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”