Lacking Character Development

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Brownbrit
Favorite Book: The Red Tent
Currently Reading: Big Debt Crises
Bookshelf Size: 115

Lacking Character Development

Post by Brownbrit »

While I found the stories of the characters entertaining, I did not connect with any characters. I believe that it is because they story lacked character development, and thus, they all fell flat. That, or maybe, it was the use of passive language that did not actively engage me. Does anyone feel the same? Why or why not?
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Yes, but I think that perhaps because the characters were so different to us. It is another time, another culture (for many of us) and another social class (for many of us) so I think it would be hard for most of us to identify with these characters
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I think the reason why the characters lacked character development was that the characters were meant to produce a variable perspective of life in this time period for the reader. The story was not really about the characters themselves, but more so just a tool to portray the thoughts, emotions and actions of people of that time. Also, in the real world, there isn't much time to develop when poverty has stricken your country and an enemy has occupied your territory
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I think character development has nothing to do with their connection with each other but how they are individually built.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I can see why someone could view the characters as flat or lacking character development, but the reason why I connected to the story despite this and believe the characters really made the story, is because the story is more about painting a picture of the society rather than focus on individual character stories. The characters were tools in explaining how society functioned and the mindset of the people at this time. That's why there were so many characters which might have been hard for some people to keep track of. Some characters represented the highest classes, some the middle, and others represented poverty. If the author had focused more on character development, the story would be too long and society of that time probably wouldn't have been depicted as well because the author would need to cut down on how many characters were there.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I think with a lot of the characters the author does not necessarily want us to connect with them and had written them this way purposefully. However, I also agree that it can sometimes make them fall flat if the author is not careful.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I second your opinion. To me, the evident trait for most of the characters was their bravery and variance only. I would have appreciated it more if intelligence was depicted. After all, you will achieve too little with bravery minus subtlety.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I was also disappointed with the character development. I had high hopes for Embon's, but suddenly the story ended. But then maybe it was just how I like the books I read. I look for connections that I did not find here.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

Brownbrit wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 14:53 While I found the stories of the characters entertaining, I did not connect with any characters. I believe that it is because they story lacked character development, and thus, they all fell flat. That, or maybe, it was the use of passive language that did not actively engage me. Does anyone feel the same? Why or why not?
Yes, I completely agree! In fact this is what I have mentioned in my review as well. I felt the characters were not given the depth they could have enjoyed in such a rich context. Except Embon's mother I couldn't feel any empathy or connection to any other character. It felt too narrative and theoretical.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
cjl1995
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjl1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by cjl1995 »

I also did not connect with many of the characters but I don't think it was because of a lack of character development. I think it is sometimes hard to connect to a character if we cannot see ourselves in that situation. If you live in a westernized country today it might be hard to see yourself in a situation where your country is being occupied or where women have pretty much no voice. I may not understand what the characters are going through but I still feel empathy towards them.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I'm of the opinion that connection with characters play a role with identification of similar circumstances. From the narrative to setting, readers from a different culture, background and setting may not easily relate, in relation to the western world and at large
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

In my opinion, the character developments are alright. For example, we can see the transformation of Embon during his time in Japan and after coming back. Lady Sougyon is also a great help to us, as her words described how the nobles thought about the relationship between Korea and Japan. The actions and decisions of the minor characters like Mr. Seoh, Mr. Koo, Yangwoo, or Hain also present the mindset of the yangban and the youth. There are no traditional main characters in this book, because the cast is the representation of the whole nation. Perhaps that's why some readers feel disconnect with them.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I think I can agree with what you said. I did feel a lack of character development. It was a bit disappointing because I wanted to see more fleshed out characters. Although I can't say that this is true for all of them.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Some characters were developed and I connected with them, but I think the author purposely wrote the other characters that way so that's why we can't connect with them. Still, they were rather distinct.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I did not feel connected to the characters. There was not much detail about each one personally. The author moved swiftly back and forth through the events without enough time to build a stand point on each of the main characters in order to feel completely involved in the story.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”