Cover Art - I want Roses!

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Re: Cover Art - I want Roses!

Post by zulfiyya »

She might have forgotten about it or never meant to. I sure forgot about it.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

She actually overemphaasized about the roses in the first page. Those plaants on the cover page aren't roses to start with, they are actually hibiscus flower precisely. I believe she talked of those roses to draw the readers attention first, before starting off the book
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

As I know, writers don't make covers. This is a job for publishers and cover artists. Someone decided to decorate the cover with pink hibiscus, and that someone probably wasn’t the author.

However, roses would be quite appropriate on this cover.
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by natasha juhl »

Symbols in novels are usually not always explicitly referenced numerous times. Sometimes this is because the author chose it to be that way, other times because they just forget. However with the significance of roses in this book, I see it more of a creative liberty the author took to let us interpret the meaning on our own.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I agree that the roses would have made a nice link, but covers don't always have to specifically match the content! You know how books have alternate covers sometimes, like The Great Gatsby has more than 3 different covers, perhaps a clearer rose design could be something the author would pick or a designer would choose in a different cover version!
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
cjl1995
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjl1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by cjl1995 »

I agree that roses would have made for a symbolic cover because they are mentioned in the book. But the flowers on the cover look like a type of hibiscus flower, which is the national flower of Korea (the Hibiscus syriacus). I think these flowers also make a good cover since it symbolizes the Korean culture and how it "vanishes" dues to the Japanese occupation.
cjl1995

Post by cjl1995 »

Brownbrit wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 15:20 At the beginning of the book, the narrator speaks lovingly about the roses that she cherishes gifted to her family and passed down. The cover art does not look like a rose. Is it? If not, why are these not the prized roses that were so important to spend a page on and then never mention again. In fact, the author did that a lot. Do you think that she just forgot?

The flowers on the cover are Hibiscus syriacus, which is the national flower of Korea! I agree that roses would be a good choice for the flower because they are mentioned in the book. But the use of the national flower is also a good symbol!
cjl1995

Post by cjl1995 »

Ellylion wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 09:06
Krienkie wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 14:05 The roses would have made more sense. Is there any link to the flower on the cover and Korean culture?
I've learned that the flower on the cover represents Korean national symbol and can be interpreted as a rose :)
The flowers on the cover are Hibiscus syriacus, which is the national flower of Korea!
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

Sou Hi wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 20:09 I remember there is a reviewer said that the flower on the cover is pink hibiscus. It's considered the national flower of South Korea, so I think the cover represents the country as a whole, or it could be that it's a symbol of Korea's freedom. As for the roses, it's Lady Sougyon's personal fondness, so it's not really necessary to place them on the cover, since Lady Sougyon is not the main focus of the story.
That's interesting! Thanks for doing the research. Hibiscus makes a lot more sense now. It still feels a little generic to me but I'm sure the writer was more concerned with story than of what the cover looked like.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

"To each his own" - Everyone has a right to have different preferences or make different choices. Thank goodness we are all different and bring many preferences to the table, a full-blown rose, and a Hibiscus, both incredibly beautiful, in their own way. 🌺 I would be happy with either, but the author's choice of Hibiscus being South Korea's flower symbol satisfies me.
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

cjl1995 wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 18:36 I agree that roses would have made for a symbolic cover because they are mentioned in the book. But the flowers on the cover look like a type of hibiscus flower, which is the national flower of Korea (the Hibiscus syriacus). I think these flowers also make a good cover since it symbolizes the Korean culture and how it "vanishes" dues to the Japanese occupation.
I had the same question in my mind as described in the topic. I think you have given a good explanation to it, so I totally agree with your point.
Megamind136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megamind136.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Megamind136 »

I think that a flower picture would have made more sense
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

Yes, I think so too. The cover should be rose to match the story, but the flowers are not roses. Maybe it has to do with the art designer or publisher.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Sou Hi wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 20:09 I remember there is a reviewer said that the flower on the cover is pink hibiscus. It's considered the national flower of South Korea, so I think the cover represents the country as a whole, or it could be that it's a symbol of Korea's freedom. As for the roses, it's Lady Sougyon's personal fondness, so it's not really necessary to place them on the cover, since Lady Sougyon is not the main focus of the story.
I think this is a thorough explanation, if true. Well, I initially thought the author did not tell the book contents to the cover artist.
I'd appreciate it if there is a separate page for a glossary that will help the readers learn more about South Korea's symbolic items. Honestly, I find roses to be overused in many book covers, so this might be a deviation from the typical rose we know. Overall, the actual cover looks clean-cut to me.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

The roses were a nice touch, both on the cover and it's wonderful inclusion in the storyline.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”