How admirable do you find his compassion?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Re: How admirable do you find his compassion?

Post by leiabutler »

Compassion is everything! I think it is what completed him as a character and the reason I liked him more. Kindness is so easy but so uncommon and so I loved seeing the compassionate way he interacted with those around him! I'd like him a lot in real life!
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

His love and compassion did inspire me. Good wife is so lucky to have him and feel so loved. The world would be a much better place is everyone had half his compassion and love. Such a great man. Surely someone to look up to.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

Vine001 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 18:20 The compassion he had for his wife is very admirable. If marriages had this the divorce rate would reduce drastically.
The reason why it's not like that is because it's like two different roads: compassion for others and love for self. When you're on the road of love for self, you would choose yourself before any other person; you always come first. Someone could be in pain beside you, but you may not care because you are enjoying all the things you spoil yourself with. On the other hand, a compassionate person would forget about themselves and act to console the person in pain.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

Compassion is an admirable trait in him. His job as a diplomat makes it imperative to build this trait to a very high level. It also inspires others to be compassionate when it is called for.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Yes. Dr. Berrah was such a respectful man who treated everyone he came across with respect. He didn't compromise when treating people with compassion. So I really look up to people like him.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Mounce574 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 20:48 The compassion he had for his wife is admirable. If everyone learned to treat their significant others similarly, I believe divorce rates will drop significantly.
It depends on how you translate "divorce rates," though. A lot of factors affect rates like these, both good things and bad things. But perhaps what you're trying to point out is more people would get married because they love each other as immensely as what Dr. Berrah and Titi had and they would stay that way until their last breath. I would love that for everyone, especially as someone who feels like my parents are only together because they have no other option.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:33 His love towards his wife and tye respect that he had towards all women is something admirable. But what is inspirational for me the most is loving your job. As a diplomat he had no easy tasks. But he did all that with love and passion. For him, it was not a mere job but he kept his faith on world peace and put all the effort to make that a success
I personally think it was a respect for everyone in general. I refuse to think that Titi would've stayed in that marriage if he wad respectful for her but not to those socially seen as below them. But you're right: his genuinity makes him a real gem in this cruel world. We need more people like him, especially in governance.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Nonny2208 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:42 I'm definitely inspired by his compassion. A great percentage of marriages are based on tolerance and little or no compassion, but his compassion towards his wife was 100% genuine and something I'll love to have for someone.
And he was compassionate not only to his wife, but to everyone. It's one thing to be in your best behavior in front of the apple of your eye, it's another to genuinely show the same compassion to strangers regardless of their gender, race, social class, etc. It's always something that I look for in people, no matter what kind of relationship I have/will have with them.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Jasy95 wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 08:37 I think that his compassion was a significant driving force that helped guide his life. I definitely find it inspiring. We should all strive to be compassionate towards our partners, families, friends, and those who we enounter. I believe that a significant part of his success in his diplomatic career came from his compassionate nature.
Definitely. I completely agree with you. It's unfortunate that a lot of us lose this compassion because they were wronged or they simply didn't have any in the first place. For Dr. Berrah, though, this compassion has always been with him, even before he became a diplomat. As you've said it was a driving force for all his life, always pushing him to do what he deemed right.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 17:04 I have no doubt that he's an inspiration to me, and will be to most men. Because his love wasn't just for his wife alone, his love rubbed on everyone that comes in contact with him. I'm impressed by that gesture.
As a woman, I never thought of the possibility that he could inspire men with his memoir. I imagine there will only be a handful of them, but I'll take what I can get. It brings out glee out of me, though—the thought that there are men out there that would follow his footsteps.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Vine001 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 18:20 The compassion he had for his wife is very admirable. If marriages had this the divorce rate would reduce drastically.
It depends on how you view "divorce rate." But I assume you were just thinking that there would be more people that got married because they had the kind of love that Dr. Berrah and Titi had. Perhaps if people were excellent individuals first before they got into relationships, marriages or any relationship for that matter would last forever.
Kathleen Lavador

MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

He's love was really genius. He showed his love not only by his words but his actions as well. This is the kind of love few people experience and the rest, wish to experience.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I agree. He respects his wife and puts his family first. If anything, I hope I get to be as lucky as her.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Gbemisola Akinremi wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 13:15 I love the demonstration of his compassion, my husband loves me as much and I find it so easy to relate with, in fact I got mushy at some point.
Every marriage, partner, spouse deserves such kind of inspiring compassion, such is the nature of Christ Jesus.
This is getting me mushy! I'm happy that you found that kind of love. Also, you're right, Dr. Berrah says the same thing. No matter what your opinion on religion is, we can all agree that these things that we are taught in our respective religions should make its way through us and be shown as it is.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Etienneza wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 20:27 The Dr did indeed build the mutual relationship of respect and love with his wife over a lifetime of daily action in word and deed,more often than not it is the seemingly negligible repeated with the utmost of care,that brings about the final result,perhaps.Admirable,courageous and selfless!
You've put it quite eloquently. Everyone asks about what Dr. Berrah's secret was for a longlasting marriage; it seems they can't comprehend that it was mutual. And I love how you said that it's an everyday thing and how it's the little things that amplify their love. Some might say that it is continuous work... but it feels really natural and dreamy.
Kathleen Lavador

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”