Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Agbata Trust
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Re: Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Post by Agbata Trust »

I can't specifically answer this question. I think it is a personal decision he felt the need to resign and become a diplomat. He has a reason for it.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I think Dr Berrah focus on where he had a greater calling. It's hard to tell if he would have done better as a scientist than a diplomat, even though he was still doing great as a scientist at Yale School of Medicine.
Prodigy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prodigy5.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prodigy5 »

Firstly, I think he would have done well either way, but in my opinion, being a diplomat suits him better as the title of the book says "A Dream for Peace " which requires doing things for the interest of the people.
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

I think it's a matter of personal choice here, there's no way to tell if he could have done better as a scientist than a diplomat. It's not the career that makes us, er make the career. He obviously had passion for diplomacy and that is rooted in his role during his country's struggle for independence, and he did fantastic in that diplomatic role. He followed his passion and that's what matters most.
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

No doubt he would have excelled as a scientist. I mean anything he touches turns to gold.. but I don't think he would have lived a fulfilled life. He loved being a diplomat
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

I believe it is very difficult to say if Dr. Berrah could have accomplished more in his career as a scientist, particularly when we consider how closely it relates to his motivation and enthusiasm. Though he didn't bring about world peace, I believe that his efforts toward peace were important since they enabled different populations to gain fresh ideas.
Sochi Lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sochi-lib.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Sochi Lib »

Perhaps if Dr Berrah had continued on as a scientist, something terrible might have happened to him or maybe he might have made a discovery that would have been corrupted and used for evil as humans are wont to do.
We won't really know.
What matters is that he tried his best, followed his passion and attempted to bring about peace.
Ngozi mouau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-mouau.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ngozi mouau »

Determining the extent of Dr. Berrah's potential as a scientist is difficult, particularly considering his passion and motivation. Regardless of not achieving world peace, his efforts were meaningful and contributed to offering fresh viewpoints to different communities. Although assessing the impact can be challenging, his best endeavors should be acknowledged and valued. It is important to recognize that even if grand objectives are not fully realized, the smaller impacts can still have a significant ripple effect and contribute to progress. Dr. Berrah's contributions as a scientist may have advanced understanding, inspired innovation, or influenced future generations, all of which contribute to the collective pursuit of peace and advancement. Ultimately, it is crucial to appreciate individuals like Dr. Berrah for their dedication and their ability to address complex issues, as their commitment paves the way for a better future.
Clark Pacino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clark-pacino.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Clark Pacino »

Yes, I agree. We can't discuss on in which field he had his passion, since it is subjective. And to do a better service, it is true that you have to be in the field that you love. But, having said that, still we can ponder in the objective fact that being in which field he could have done more. I still think that science is more sure than diplomacy, since diplomatic missions involve people and people are unreliable

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”