Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Adhithya K R
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2566

Re: Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Post by Adhithya K R »

The objective contribution that a person makes is different from the satisfaction they derive from the act. Dr Berrah might have served the cause of humanity better as a scientist, but if his personal happiness relied on expressing compassion to fellow human beings, being an ambassador might have been a better personal choice. I feel it's a personal decision that is difficult to comment on from an outsider's perspective.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I believe he could have done more as a scientist because of the early successes he had. Being a scientist would have been a less polarizing position than that of a diplomat.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Dr Berrah did what he wished to.
Maybe being a scientist could have been more fruitful but that's what we as readers might feel. It's such a personal choice and I somehow don't like questioning it.
Unless we're talking a multiverse where he made a remarkable scientific discovery. But that's another discussion.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
KanaSmriti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanasmriti.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by KanaSmriti »

Efforts are more important than success, because efforts bring success. So, I don't think it would be well enough to compare his works. I think he gave his best in every area which is very admirable.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

I think he would have done more remaining a scientist, but i still do appreciate his diplomatic contributions.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I think it's not possible to debate. While he might have achieved success in the scientific field, his research was continued by someone else. For example, reverse transcriptase enzyme; the research continued further. No harm done there. He abandoned his research to serve people, which he did with all his heart. In both careers, his work impacted a lot of people.
Vandana Garg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandana-garg.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Vandana Garg »

I totally believe that his career as a scientist would have been a fabulous one; maybe we would be referring him as a Nobel laureate. But achieving such diplomatic heights as his is also an equally applauding task. I think he was a brilliant multitasker and excelled in both fields.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Yamini mathur
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Hill of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yamini-mathur.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Yamini mathur »

Sushan wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 00:39 Dr.Ghoulem Berrah was a professor of Virology at the University of Yale school of medicine before becoming a diplomat. He had developed a hypothesis on Reverse Transcriptase enzyme, and he had a major breakthrough on selective inhibition of DNA. He could have found many more scientific theories that could have been major breakthroughs and of great use to the world. But he resigned from his job and became a diplomat. In your opinion, was his decision wise? Could he have done more to the world as a scientist than what he did as a diplomat? On the other hand, have his attempts on peace actually been mattered, when we consider the current political situation of the conflicts that he tried to solve in his career?
Yes I do beleive that Dr. Ghoulem's decision was right. His heart was always towards freedom- freedom for his country or the neighbouring countries. His love was directied for the people, his country and service to mankind.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

I think his service to world peace actually might be of a greater good than being a scientist. The devastating effect of national unrest could later come to haunt him if he probably decides to stick to being a scientist. By the way, there's no where like home. I think he made the right decision of being a diplomat.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

It's hard to say that because he’s so good at anything. For him to resign from his science job, he knew he could do it. He could have done well at any job he finds himself.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

There are some rare people in this world who can excel at anything that they encounter in their lives. As per this memoir, Dr Berrah appears to that category. So it will be difficult to say that would had been a better scientist. In fact it was his talent and knowledge that he had quickly accepted the post of diplomat. His student life political experience must had helped him and with his knowledge and concern for his country he took that challenge happily and gave good performance.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I honestly think he would have done better as a scientist. But the most important thing is what felt right to him and what he had a passion for, which was being a diplomat.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I always think people who are able to discover new things can do much better than they have done. I, therefore, think Dr. Ghoul em was better as a scientist more than a diplomat.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I believe that people accomplish more if they are doing what they really love. Dr Berrah preferred to be a diplomat because it mattered more to him and that's where he thrived. In terms of World Peace, accomplishments in general are not huge. It is more about planting the seeds of peace, and making a contribution. He didn't enjoy being a scientist enough to stay one. With time he wasn't going to accomplish much in that area, but I might be wrong.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html

Post by Olomofe »

I really understand your point , Sushan. I would say that I can't tell absolutely as to why he decided to quite his position as a scientist to face a career of diplomacy. You are on point as you mean probably he saw some benefit to himself being a diplomate than contributing to the scientific world which would yield more benefit for others in the world than himself.

And I would say that probably the author loves to be a politician and likes to be known in the political world than being a scientist just as his dominant passion

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”