Do you believe this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Re: Do you believe this book?

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I also haven't heard of him until I read the book. I didn't see anything not to believe in the book. I see no reason to doubt him or anything he wrote in his book.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

While I was reading the book, I was unaware of this truth. However, I now think that some details have been overstated. Even while I think this book is accurate and is based on actual events, I don't think it was as glamorous as Dr. Berrah portrayed it to be.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:

Post by Samuel Songs »

I fail to understand why he would embellish his own account. I believe that some details have been slightly exaggerated to make the reading experience or the plot more compelling for the readers, but I don't mind it.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:

Post by Samuel Songs »

Well, even if the story was slightly exaggerated, this is my opinion: I'm not knocking the book because I think it's a really great read that everyone should read.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I did not find any reasons to doubt any of the things Dr. Berrah writes in his book. Details of political happenings, especially the high profile ones may sometimes seem far-fetched, like the Fidel Castro one you pointed out. It is, however, very possible that that happened unless other very concrete accounts say otherwise.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

He doesn't seem to need to lie because he is well-known in his field. Thus, the fundamental information in this book must be accurate. Not everything can be as seamless as it appears to be. however, in my view.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Given the nature of his work, he must have encountered at least minor flaws or failures. I think there may have been a few small fictional touches scattered about to give it more flesh.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

I went into the book having never heard of him, hoping to learn more about him, and I did. That said, I do think he's telling the truth. Whatever the motivations, Dr. Berrah may or may notadded a little bit of fiction to his narrative.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Although there were exaggerations, this is his account. He has complete control over its quality. From beginning to end, everything went without a hitch. What makes it possible? Anyone reading this will reflect.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 07:04 That's a great point, and good for you for doing some research. I think the memoir is likely based on truth, but I am sure some parts are made up or embellished to make for a more interesting or controversial story. Perhaps in regards to the disruption of Fidel's speech, the author may have added this in or exaggerated parts. If all of the events happened exactly like the author described them, I think we'd be able to find this information with research.
Maybe he exaggerated, maybe not. However, I believe the key points, particularly those regarding the incidents that would have had witnesses, are probably accurate.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Brenda Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:09 Overall I believe the book. Dr. Berrah's accomplishments were impressive, yet I do believe some were embellished versions. It was as if he had the 'Midas touch' where everything he did was successful (turned to gold)!
Around halfway through the book, I chose to set aside my doubts and believe him to be a trustworthy narrator who is likely to have a very human and hence understandable bias.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 11:54 I completely agree with this idea that the story is mostly true but some of it may be glamorized. A single story will often have a few differences depending of who is telling the story.
Anybody who looks back on their life is likely to see it through positive lenses that depict themselves as the protagonist of their own story.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Betty Gitonga wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 08:27 Having never heard of him before, I read the book with an open mind hoping to learn about him, and I did. Having said that, I do believe his story. There were exaggerations, but it is his story to tell. He can make it as good as he wants.
Perhaps he was completely satisfied and delighted with his work as a scientist and ambassador. As a result, when he thought back, his sole memories may have been successful and pleasant ones.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

I agree with the book o believe it was true because I did some research and still search his name in my social media platforms. But then I kept wondering why is stories is not know globally tho. It was a unique one.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Yes, to an extent, I believe this book since it's a memoir and not fiction, but not totally, as I believe Dr. Berrah should have deliberated more on his struggles and how things took a bad turn before entering the good side. This would have given the reader more insight about his bad and good days.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”