Do you believe this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Do you believe this book?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

To be honest, I haven't heard of Dr.Ghoulem Berrah before reading this book. So after reading I did my own research on him and found that the outline of his story is very true. He has been a remarkable person in various fields and have been a great asset to the world. But when reading his autobiography, at some occasions I feel that some facts are too good to be true. One such occasion is secretly disturbing a speech of Fidel Castro to prevent the harmful results that might have occurred due to it. This is my very own opinion, and I don't mean any disrespect to the renowned diplomat. But for the sake of discussion, did you get the same feeling when you read this? Do you think that all those things have happened exactly as described?
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

That's a great point, and good for you for doing some research. I think the memoir is likely based on truth, but I am sure some parts are made up or embellished to make for a more interesting or controversial story. Perhaps in regards to the disruption of Fidel's speech, the author may have added this in or exaggerated parts. If all of the events happened exactly like the author described them, I think we'd be able to find this information with research.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Overall I believe the book. Dr. Berrah's accomplishments were impressive, yet I do believe some were embellished versions. It was as if he had the 'Midas touch' where everything he did was successful (turned to gold)!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 07:04 That's a great point, and good for you for doing some research. I think the memoir is likely based on truth, but I am sure some parts are made up or embellished to make for a more interesting or controversial story. Perhaps in regards to the disruption of Fidel's speech, the author may have added this in or exaggerated parts. If all of the events happened exactly like the author described them, I think we'd be able to find this information with research.
I agree. He was a renowned ambassador, so definitely his diplomatic missions were of higher scale which are enough to be noteworthy. But how he came out from each and every situation by either his own skill or own luck is, as I think, quite an exaggeration of the truth. Maybe he gave a bit of a fictional touch to his memoir
Sushan Ekanayake

B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:09 Overall I believe the book. Dr. Berrah's accomplishments were impressive, yet I do believe some were embellished versions. It was as if he had the 'Midas touch' where everything he did was successful (turned to gold)!
Exactly what I thought. It is quite unusual that everything he got involved, he could complete in a successful manner. We don't know maybe that was the way that actually things happened. But it is quite hard to believe without any other background information or confirmation from a third party
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I think that even though we try to write a book that only brings true events and/or phrases, it's inevitable to be biased. Therefore, I think it is likely that the author didn't describe everything exactly like the events that occurred and I agree with you when you said that Dr. Berrah might have altered some things when writing this book.
Sushan Ekanayake

gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 13:51 I think that even though we try to write a book that only brings true events and/or phrases, it's inevitable to be biased. Therefore, I think it is likely that the author didn't describe everything exactly like the events that occurred and I agree with you when you said that Dr. Berrah might have altered some things when writing this book.
Yea, we become the hero of our own story when we tell it. So, we are tend to either add some exaggeration or make the story more dramatic. Apparently that is what has happened here. But I think that the summary of the story is more or less correct
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 13:51 I think that even though we try to write a book that only brings true events and/or phrases, it's inevitable to be biased.
That's what I was thinking as well. Sometimes when we are biased towards something, it becomes very easy to only look at the positive sides of that, and it is not necessarily that we do it on purpose, but that's just how the human brain is wired. I think that's what happened in this case - due to the author's bias, he probably just remembers things in a more exaggerated manner than how they actually happened. I don't think he is hiding things or lying on purpose, but that it is truly the way he remembers those events. Why would he risk lying and then being called out on it?
Also, some people are naturally lucky; just because some events he lived through sound improbable, doesn't mean they are impossible.
Sushan Ekanayake

Arimart99 wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 22:26
gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 13:51 I think that even though we try to write a book that only brings true events and/or phrases, it's inevitable to be biased.
That's what I was thinking as well. Sometimes when we are biased towards something, it becomes very easy to only look at the positive sides of that, and it is not necessarily that we do it on purpose, but that's just how the human brain is wired. I think that's what happened in this case - due to the author's bias, he probably just remembers things in a more exaggerated manner than how they actually happened. I don't think he is hiding things or lying on purpose, but that it is truly the way he remembers those events. Why would he risk lying and then being called out on it?
Also, some people are naturally lucky; just because some events he lived through sound improbable, doesn't mean they are impossible.
I agree. Given the nature of his background and the value of his position, he won't lie. But on the other hand, no one will go to the extent of cross checking what he says as well. Maybe what has happened is he becoming the hero of his own story. Or else, he wanted to make this book more inspirational and included only the good and lucky things that happened. I think that there are many side details that are not included in this book although theyr are relevant
Jennifer Garcia 555
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I completely agree with this idea that the story is mostly true but some of it may be glamorized. A single story will often have a few differences depending of who is telling the story.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Sushan Ekanayake

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 11:54 I completely agree with this idea that the story is mostly true but some of it may be glamorized. A single story will often have a few differences depending of who is telling the story.
Yes. But usually autobiographies are written with the truth, since many authors want to tell their story accurately. This one might have been deviated from that practice either due to the idea of gaining money for the foundation, so the book had to be more appealing, or that the author wanted to inspire people from his book and so he might have removed all the negative parts
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

There are probably some biased bits, but overall I get the sense that this book is very much true to its word. The ambassador does not strike me as the kind of person to lie about his accomplishments or over exaggerate them.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sushan Ekanayake

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 12:22 There are probably some biased bits, but overall I get the sense that this book is very much true to its word. The ambassador does not strike me as the kind of person to lie about his accomplishments or over exaggerate them.
That is quite correct. Given his character qualities and his beliefs, he is not a cheater. That is why I think that there must be some reason for him to write this book including only the good things and succeeded things that happened. At the same time there is the possibility that he was an extremely lucky guy. How can we know for sure? It is his story and maybe each and every word about is true
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Sushan wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:48
gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 13:51 I think that even though we try to write a book that only brings true events and/or phrases, it's inevitable to be biased. Therefore, I think it is likely that the author didn't describe everything exactly like the events that occurred and I agree with you when you said that Dr. Berrah might have altered some things when writing this book.
Yea, we become the hero of our own story when we tell it. So, we are tend to either add some exaggeration or make the story more dramatic. Apparently that is what has happened here. But I think that the summary of the story is more or less correct

Exactly my thoughts. We tend to tell our own stories with some embellishments which is what the author has done. Who wouldn't. He was successful so it wouldn't be difficult adding some salt like we say it in my place.
Sushan Ekanayake

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 02:58
Sushan wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:48

Exactly my thoughts. We tend to tell our own stories with some embellishments which is what the author has done. Who wouldn't. He was successful so it wouldn't be difficult adding some salt like we say it in my place.
Yes he was successful. That is why he says his story. But I think it will be more inspirational if he included his hardships and failures as well. That will teach the reader how to prevail in distress. Unless the reader will get a false picture that success is something that is achieved by luck rather than by hard work and sustainability.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”