What is your favorite quote from "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" ? And why ?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What is your favorite quote from "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" ? And why ?

Post by Surabhi Rani »

In course of his quest for the liberation of his country Algeria, Dr. Ghoulem Berrah and his wife Antoniette sailed across the Mediterranean and drove to the town of Tetouan, nested on the northeastern coast of Morocco. In those moments, he had expressed his sentiments to Antoniette - "Oh, how beautiful it is to be free." The aforementioned simple quote happens to be my favorite one in the book 'A Dream for Peace, An Ambassador's Memoir' by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah as it helps me explore the nucleus of Dr. Berrah's personality as a diplomat.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

justhereader wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 05:04 This is the most powerful quote for me, one that encapsulates the author’s compassion and conviction for the developing nations: “We the people of the Third World neither feel the need, nor harbor a desire in all honesty, to switch places with the wealthy nations. We do not wish to see them become impoverished while we become rich. But the wealthy nations must understand that we refuse to let ourselves bleed to death while they sit back nonchalantly and enrich themselves on our backs.”
This is my favorite quote out of the favorite quotes here. It is actually quite thought-provoking. However, I believe he can't speak for all. In fact, I believe humans with power have a tendency to use that power to benefit self at the expense of others. The reason why developed countries exploit developing countries is simply because they can. Developing countries can't exploit developed countries the way developed countries exploit them because they don't have the financial capacity or the prestige to. However, individuals from these developing countries exploit developed countries in their own ways.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

When I stumbled upon this quote below, all I could do was reflect on my ways. And the quote goes "The attributes that define me are faith, honor, duty, love, justice, peace, and dialogue. These are characteristics that can move mountains. While we are still sailing in a common vessel known as planet Earth, I believe in my heart that I have accomplished my life’s mission. I can now sense that the time has come for me to get ready to disembark and go to meet my Creator." I loved his courage as he spoke and his certainty about accomplishing life's mission and I hope someday I can stand up and say I have accomplished my own mission in life.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

WADonnelly wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 15:41 This is one that I love as it actually reminds me of my parents and how much I admire their relationship. A great quote to pick out!
Now that you mention it, it reminded me of my parents too. But not in a good way, though. :lol2: I guess they were the ones who had the opposite, unfortunately. I wish to find the one who makes me strive to be better, too, just like Dr. Berrah and Titi.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 22:21 My favorite quote is "I prayed that God would someday set me free so that at the very least, I could live one single day in an independent Algeria."

This quote shows how strongly he wanted to help Algeria and its people. He fights so hard for many years to help achieve this goal.
That one made me sad. It reminded me of political prisoners in my own country. I could only imagine the sheer helplessness and weakness that they must've felt while being locked up. This quote only added to that—he was already desperate, clinging to selfish little favors. If someone said that the events were glamorized and the book was only full of successes to show off, I'm showing this to them.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Fleurine_t92 wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 01:27 This is my favorite quote inside the book “We the people of the Third World neither feel the need, nor harbor a desire in all honesty, to switch places with the wealthy nations. We do not wish to see them become impoverished while we become rich. But the wealthy nations must understand that we refuse to let ourselves bleed to death while they sit back nonchalantly and enrich themselves on our backs.” In some cases, I don't understand what the author really meant because the culture different and everything. In Myanmar we couldn't get a peace yet and still trying too hard to die. So, most parts inside this book make me ashamed of myself.
This does not imply a difference in culture, though. He was talking about how First World countries take advantage of Third World countries and our resources. They take them from us and while they're getting rich from it, we're getting poorer and more exhausted.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Goral wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:21 My favourite quote from this book is
"I wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for her".
I found these lines very powerful and impactful.
True. It was early on the book, before the first chapter itself, and yet it captures your attention right away. It really is intense to know that there's one person who completes another. It's overwhelming to see (or read) with your own two eyes the person who impacts another in such a way.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Gbemisola Akinremi wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:16 “I dream of the day when I can give a bowl of rice to each citizen of China before they go to sleep.”
This speaks so much compassion and selflessness, and how much he has the love of the people at heart.
It was a quote from Mao Zedong. It's not unusual for me to read something like this, though. A lot of people among us can see it: the millions of people around us and the intense urge to make sure equally have everything a human being needs. If only we unite and mobilize, we can make it happen.
Kathleen Lavador

SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

In the final analysis, I circled back to the catastrophic occurrence and reminded everyone that every single Muslim had been victimized twice: first, by the scourge of a terrorist act, and secondly, by the twisted perception that all Muslims are terrorists.

This is my most memorable quote from the book (page 572 of the Kindle edition). It will always remind me of Dr. Berrah's interfaith advocacy: mutual respect and deep understanding.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

My favourite quote from the book would be this one: "The willingness to use dialogue requires some self-control and mastery of instincts, as well as the inclination to compromise without sacrificing integrity." I think it promotes peace over violence.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Goral wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:21 My favourite quote from this book is
"I wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for her".
I found these lines very powerful and impactful.
This was my favourite quote too. It really is so powerful and a lot to aspire to when it comes to our own relationships in our own loves. It's also really telling of how much he truly loves his wife and that is something that I respect a lot and I also relate to because of how much I love my own girlfriend.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Trustedbook
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trustedbook »

"I wouldn't be who i am if it weren't for her"
Actually this is the best quote in this book for me, because it reminds me of my mother's unending love, she does everything just to make sure we are okay. The quote is really impactful.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Cassie_Megan wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 05:43 The author, Young Ghoulem Berrah, was a very smart man. He was listed among the American Men of Science, his research impacted the world of Biological Sciences. He was also a professor at the Yale School of Medicine and a permanent member of the New York Academy of Sciences.

His book is very well-written and I found a lot of interesting quotes. Here is my favorite:
"My hope is to one day see the tail end of the plague of racism as it is extracted from its very roots, leaving in its wake the birth of a new society—the ultimate utopia."

I think it is very powerful!

What is your favorite quote ?

This quite resonated with me! I also do have a dream the one day people will be judged by their character and not the color of their skin. May it be uprooted!
Annette M
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Annette M »

An advise he was given by president Houphouet ' what matters is the content not the labels..slogans don't matter but the work does'.
Lunupine
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

"My hope is to one day see the tail end of the plague of racism as it is extracted from its very roots, leaving in its wake the birth of a new society—the ultimate utopia."

I would go with this one.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”