Mother/Son relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Re: Mother/Son relationship

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

I think that his mother was more fond of him as he chose a different path from them in life. Or, maybe she does it to all his siblings and, he never noticed it!
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:21 The author places a lot of emphasis on his relationship with his mother, especially as he was growing up. I believe his mother was a special person, from his descriptions. However, I wonder if some of the things he tells about his mother's affection toward him were maybe an embellishment of the facts. For example, how he would wake up at night and find her "standing by his bed, looking at him adoringly." He only mentions his siblings briefly, and rightfully so since it is his memoir, but he doesn't share whether his mother was just as affectionate with them as she was with him. It sounded to me like he was the only thing she focused on! I wonder if his siblings ever awoke during the night and found her "looking adoringly" at them? I just thought it was a relationship too good to be true! What are your thoughts?
I do agree that some things he mentioned are too good to believe, but at the same time I believe that words are always less to express a mother's love. His mother must be so loving as he mentioned and she might be loving his siblings the same way too.
Sometimes vibes are enough to feel motherly love so we can feel a person.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

I think as a child there's that one memory about your mother that lingers all through. Well, maybe that was his memory of his mother. They had a good relationship with the mother and I also think the mother loved the other siblings just as much. Otherwise, he would have mentioned anything negative.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

I find there relationship a consequence of losing his brothers.His mother may have gained the value of being overprotective as a reaction to losing all his other sons.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

After her loss, I would almost be certain that his mother would be as attached to him as much as he says. It does seem to be very played up when he talks about it, but if I had gone through that kind of loss I would definitely cling as tightly as possible to what I had left . I adore my child so I can understand her deep love for her kids.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

I don't think their relationship was too good to be true. I do think that his mothers experience in life shaped her even more to express her love the way she did. I think he was blessed to have such a strong pillar in his life and I am also glad that he realized it.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

It may be true because the memoir is from his point of view. Having such a caring mother means she probably cared for his other siblings as well. He just seemed to have focused on his own relationship with her, the siblings can tell theirs better.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

For a mother with more than one child, it seems highly unlikely that the mother would have the time to stare at her child sleep. Speaking from experience, when your children sleep, there is nothing more you want that to join them.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A mothers love and Care for his son can be seen in the book. We can say that's its his memoir and his love for his mother that he has written it like that. It is his memory of seeing her mother looking at him adoringly one night.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I think the way the author explains his relationship with his mother could be true. Other than in it being from his perspective, being the only son may trigger slightly preferential treatment as compared to his sisters. While a good number of parents deny it, parents have favourites. The favourite child may get to know their standing from the interactions with the parents, with their siblings and even noticing the interactions between the siblings and the parents. I think the mother loved all her children, perhaps she had a bit of preferential treatment for her last remaining son and the author noticed it.
Elendu Clement
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement.html
Latest Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Post by Elendu Clement »

Though the mother was kind and compassionate towards him, I think he misunderstood things, the mom also cared for his other siblings just that he didn't see it
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

Thank you for bringing up this topic! I believe that as adults, we often romanticize our childhood memories. For example, relationships with parents, friends, and even pets can be overinflated. With that said, it seems just as likely that a mother that stands over her child's bed, staring at him adoringly, will be a mother that just as likely stands over her other children's beds adoringly.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

As his mother is a very caring person, I don't believe she will favour only one child. As the writer has written his story he might have focused more about him. It must be to bring out the best of her to the reader.
fiocha1996_25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiocha1996-25.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiocha1996_25 »

I agree with some of the opinions. The author tells his story we see his mother through his own eyes. That's probably why the relationship he had seems different than the one his siblings had. If we see it from his siblings' perspective we would probably see that the mother loved all her children equally.
Trinity Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 501
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trinity-green.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Trinity Green »

I have siblings and I am often aware of their relationship with our parents. However, it is in my opinion that I am not, nor have I ever been the favored child. This could be the reason I notice how affectionate my parents are with my siblings. If the author is the favorite then that could be why he does not notice the affection between his mother and his siblings.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”