Mother/Son relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Adhithya K R
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2566

Re: Mother/Son relationship

Post by Adhithya K R »

B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:21 The author places a lot of emphasis on his relationship with his mother, especially as he was growing up. I believe his mother was a special person, from his descriptions. However, I wonder if some of the things he tells about his mother's affection toward him were maybe an embellishment of the facts. For example, how he would wake up at night and find her "standing by his bed, looking at him adoringly." He only mentions his siblings briefly, and rightfully so since it is his memoir, but he doesn't share whether his mother was just as affectionate with them as she was with him. It sounded to me like he was the only thing she focused on! I wonder if his siblings ever awoke during the night and found her "looking adoringly" at them? I just thought it was a relationship too good to be true! What are your thoughts?
Yes, well noted. It could be an embellishment added in hindsight to make the narrative read better. It reminded me of Marcel Proust's recounting of his childhood experience with his mother in Swann's way. I wish he had touched on his mother's relationship with his other siblings more so that it could have given it a touch of originality.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

He had much affection and admiration for his mother and mentions her loving actions towards him. Dr. Berrah enjoyed this bond between the both of them. This relationship have he the comfort and support he needed to do well academically and personally.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Adhithya K R wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 04:42
B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:21 The author places a lot of emphasis on his relationship with his mother, especially as he was growing up. I believe his mother was a special person, from his descriptions. However, I wonder if some of the things he tells about his mother's affection toward him were maybe an embellishment of the facts. For example, how he would wake up at night and find her "standing by his bed, looking at him adoringly." He only mentions his siblings briefly, and rightfully so since it is his memoir, but he doesn't share whether his mother was just as affectionate with them as she was with him. It sounded to me like he was the only thing she focused on! I wonder if his siblings ever awoke during the night and found her "looking adoringly" at them? I just thought it was a relationship too good to be true! What are your thoughts?
Yes, well noted. It could be an embellishment added in hindsight to make the narrative read better. It reminded me of Marcel Proust's recounting of his childhood experience with his mother in Swann's way. I wish he had touched on his mother's relationship with his other siblings more so that it could have given it a touch of originality.
Right! The way it came across to me was that he was his mother's favorite and he life revolved around him! I am sure he didn't mean it that way, but that is what I felt.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Author's mother had affection towards all of her children so we cannot single out the affection towards the author. It might be true that she was standing one night looking at him and he remembers that. It does not lessens her love for her other children nor says it was more towards the author.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sidi_254
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidi-254.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Sidi_254 »

The author can only talk about his own relationship with his mother. I don't think it would be right to presume to know how his siblings felt about their own relationship with mom. All I Know is if I woke from sleep to find someone gazing at me adoringly or not, I would be freaked! Each relationship dynamic is different
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

I don't want to take away from what I'm sure is a healthy mother/son relationship, but I do want to point out that absence does indeed make the heart fonder. When you're not living in a moment, when you're not experiencing something that very second, it's easy to make it better than it is. Maybe that could be what's happening here? Again, maybe she was just a good mother who was skilled at making all her children feel loved and cherished, so that each felt like her favorite.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

The relationship and love between mother and son are just unquantifiable, unbelievable, and unimaginable. No wonder the author took his time to give much credit to his mum.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

I also thought of it, he only mentioned his siblings during the introduction of his family. He never mentioned his own relationships with his siblings as well as his mother’s relationship with the other children.

It may be because he’s speaking from his own view.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

I really love this topic. I will say that his mother probably love the other siblings, which is even evident in the fact that she told Berrah to look after the sisters.

Another fact remains that since he was the only surviving son, it's possible she will love him specially. And the author also appreciated that.

I also used to love it then when my mother will come to us one by one spreading cloth on me against mosquitoes, and adjusting it if I have one on me already
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I've only heard of this in fairy tales. I, however, think that this may have happened at least once and Dr. Ghoulem found it important to mention to show how loving his mother was.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

Yes, truly I felt like the author does not balance things here. He only focused on his relationship with his mother and how he so much cared for him. But he forgot that readers would want to know if because a reason she did not like other children as much, the author didn't point out. He just briefed on his siblings. I guess this is one shortcoming in the book. And I'm wondering why he left a wide gap untold about his mother's affection towards her children.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

Honestly I totally agree with you on that I observed that. Even when the author talked about the physic ability of his mum i asked myself this same question. I think the. Story was too good to be true.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

Owning to the way he described their relationship, it sounded and looked too real. I want to believe that she was focused on him mainly because he was the only surviving son. I know the kind of love mothers show their only surviving son because of the fear of loosing them. I admired the love they shared though.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

The relationship between the author and his mum was praiseworthy. I do not think he would have gotten to where he was without her love and support.
Versaty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-versaty.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Versaty »

I also felt as though, the author is one sided in his description of his mothers relationship with her children, as he only talks of his own affection he received. However, I felt it is still unclear because at least he should have mentioned briefly about how she relate with other children also

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”