Mother/Son relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Mother/Son relationship

Post by RHD »

In my opinion, there's just something deep about mother-son relationships and closeness. Obviously, every rule has an exception. Some sons are more fond of their fathers, and some mothers more fond of their daughters. Still, the doctor seemed sincere. His mother must have been one of the mooshy ones. I believe him.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

I once read that "good mother sacrifice part of her soul to raise a child". I always believed the thought rings a true and quite endearing, but I don't really think it means normal for her to behave as obsessively as the mother in this memoir does.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I believe he probably just told it the way HE saw it. Like you rightfully said, he didn't speak too much about his siblings. As it was his memoir, he was the main focus of the story and it is told from his point of view. As a truly kind and affable woman, I'm sure his mother loved and adored all of her children.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Brainiac140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brainiac140.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Brainiac140 »

I believe the relationship was true. From the author's perspective as a child he'd have felt everything he described. From another person's view it might not be the same description.
Megamind136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megamind136.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Megamind136 »

If What the writer wrote was actually true. Then I think the mother was biased to his remaining siblings. I think he misunderstood the mothers love.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

After finishing the book, I had the impression that Dr. Ghoulem Berrah was his mother's favorite son. And in these relationships the boy tends to have an idealized view of his parent. I do not believe that other children think the same way.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

lavkathleen wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 06:34
B Creech wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 04:56
Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 21:07 He saw only his relationship., not his siblings. Hard to explain . His mother seemed to be very caring but then again we only see it from his point of view.
You are right. I would have enjoyed hearing a little about his own relationship with his siblings, but his focus on the subject of the family was his mother.
He barely wrote about his siblings. I can't help but think if they were close or not. He could've written how their mother treated them, how they bonded as family, their get-togethers as grown-ups, etc. It would've been nice to read as I have a brother, too.
I feel the same. I thought it would be nice to see how the family dynamics were all the way around!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

His mother was showcased as a very caring, loving and kind mother. This is justifiable seeing that he is the only surviving son. So, she just concentrated all her love on him. I can't be sure about this though as the book is a memoir, written from his own direction alone. But, I also feel that the author employed hyperbole to lay emphasis on how well his mother cared for him.
Trustedbook
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trustedbook »

I think the author mother was biased towards loving her children or the author over exaggerated thing
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

I think the author has compelled to mention such a thing in the book is that he loves his mother very much and he needs to make the readers think similarly about his mother.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I am a father and I have checked on my two children at night so many times. I think it is a kid's point of view that is what was presented in the book. However, I have also seen some mothers and fathers, particularly in a family with many children, having a favorite child. If the author is the only one with more financial success than the other siblings, this could be the cause. He was dotted upon because the mother knew he was smarter.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

:roll: I didn't think much of that statement while reading the book. His writing style sounded more like French-story telling than contemporary writing, in fact, it reminded me of Henri Carrier's Papillion. I thought his mom would pay so much attention to him because he was an only child (my memory could be wrong I read it a while back). Also, I found out that the Berbers are a matriarchal society—that's probably why there is more emphasis on the mother than the father.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

We all have perspectives from which to view from. I believe the author was only providing the perspective of his mother's love. If the sibling were the ones writing the story, they would provide their own as well. The book may sound one-sided in regard to the mother's love but we should always understand that there are different perspectives in every story.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Based on the mother's character, I assumed she was as affectionate to all of her children. Maybe the fact that this is his memoir he did not find it necessary to quote the other's relationships with his mum
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

From his point of view, we can see that his mother was very caring towards him. I loved reading about the wonderful relationship they had but I do wonder why he didn't include any memories of his siblings. Nonetheless, whatever the reason, he managed to describe the bond he had with his mother wonderfully.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”