Did you find Berrah's views of women's place in community, war, and politics to have been consistent or inconsistent?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Re: Did you find Berrah's views of women's place in community, war, and politics to have been consistent or inconsistent

Post by Mellino Itz »

I did not find anything negative about how the author wrote about women. From the way the author wrote about his mum in the beginning chapter of this book, He seemed to be a man who acknowledge women and had great respect for them. As the author wrote further he included recognized more women.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I didn't find this confusing at all. It's normal for one's opinion about things to change as they grow. Besides, Dr Ghoulem never announced that he did not believe in women's participating in politics, it's just that he didn't mention much on women and we all assumed he wasn't in support.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

I think that people's opinions about a lot of things change with time. Same can be saids for Dr. Berrah's view of women. Maybe with age, he began seeing women differently other than the way he was raised to.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

I do agree that in later chapters of the book, he began to acknowledge women. Since this book detailed his life, we can deduce that there was a shift in view of things as an older man. He was probably viewing women previously with the information he was handed to as a you g man.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

I am, however, trying to think of this from another angle. Even if he grew up with a wrong notion about women, I believe he did not write this book when he was that young. Hence, with the knowledge he has as an older man when he wrote the book, why didn't he right the wrong in the book? Just mentioning it would have been great. Or was it just a matter of convenience?
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

63tty wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 23:30 I don't see that his opinions changed but, yeah, there are a couple of questionable actions like how he said her place was not there. All in all I think it was in a period when women's opinions were not valued ad much. I think he was influenced to that decision.
I think so too. Dr. Berrah spoke and acted according to how the society he lived in looked at women. When women in other parts of the world started changing the default narrative, he joined the status quo along with everyone else.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Lalit_kendre14 wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 11:18 I unquestionably didn't consider it to be negative. It was charming that he plainly experienced childhood in a climate where ladies' place was so carefully characterized, yet as he cooperated with more resilient ladies and experienced different societies, his own perspectives and qualities appeared to move. We can't help how we were raised, yet as grown-ups, the individuals who defeat their ingrained predisposition and move their points of view appropriately show incredible sympathy and insight.
Exactly my point! He was raised in an environment that viewed women differently ( unfortunately not in the best way possible.) However, as a grown man, he made his own decisions and decided to see women with
better and wiser eyes.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

Well, don't think I have a say in this one although the question is good.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I agree with your point. I think he matured and got to respect women a lot more as he aged.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

This, in my opinion, is but one illustration of how exposure and growth affect the mind. He became more aware of the importance of women in politics as he developed relationships with tougher women.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

I believe he demonstrates how people and their perspectives can shift dramatically. But you have to admire his honesty in his writing because he does not write in this case to please the reader.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I didn't think of this, but I totally get your point. I guess growing up in a patriarchal African community could explain that.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Agbata Trust »

Well back the women involvement in politics was very rare you can compare to contemporary world were women are now fully involved in politics.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:

Post by Agbata Trust »

Well back the women involvement in politics was very rare you can compare to contemporary world were women are now fully involved in politics.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:

Post by Agbata Trust »

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”