Interfaith relationships

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Interfaith relationships

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

One of the themes the author kept pushing for (other than world peace) was the importance of interfaith relationships. For me, this was one of the things i really admired about him. The fact that he, a devout Muslim, could have intimate relationships with people of different religions such as his wife, president Houphouet-Boigny, and a host of others.

I believe the importance of interfaith relationships can't be understated. What are your thoughts on this?
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

This is the recipe for world peace. When we learn to look at people beyond tiny indices like religious background. Dr. Ghoulem is extraordinary
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Etini Willie wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 15:37 This is the recipe for world peace. When we learn to look at people beyond tiny indices like religious background. Dr. Ghoulem is extraordinary
I completely agree with you, Etini. If we can all just accept each other's differences, the world would be a better place. Dr. Ghoulem truly was extraordinary.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I appreciated the author's views on the importance of interfaith relationships. I got the sense that this contributed to his success in life, and particularly as a leader.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I think differences in faith shouldn't lead us to be divided. We have to accept that everyone has their own beliefs and learn to live in harmony. Dr. Ghoul em simply understood this concept.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

This is also one are of the area in the book that I so much love. He wouldn't have acheive success as a diplomate if he did not see beyond religious prejudice and nepotism. I was awestruck at his mentality about interfaith
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

This man is a symbol of the religious tolerance we preach today. He embodies everything virtuous. He married a Christian and never pressured her to convert to Islam. This is highly commendable
Ateshi John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ateshi-john.html
Latest Review: The Unlikely Cowboy by James E. Doucette

Post by Ateshi John »

I was more than impressed with what I encountered in the book. Such level of tolerance and humanity is rare these days.
The interfaith unions are dicey things in nature, cause truth be told not everyone would share or have the same mindset as the author.
Personally, this might sound a bit weird but I don't believe it's possible for humans to come to accept one another. Chaos and torment are part of us, part of what we have become, to the point that many no longer know what it means to be humane.
The division, and strife between us is due to the single fact that people naturally will hate and find reasons to hate. And where there are none, man would create one.
Yes a few true humans will be free from these shackles of hate but theeir numbers would always be small compared to the others.
And the sad part of it all is, education and enlightenment may salvage a few, but it won't solve this division, nepotism and disunity amongst us because no one teaches hatred or wickedness.
Only one thing truly brings diverse people together and it's a common goal or common problem.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

If I were to be honest, most act of terrorism and wars can be traced to religion. If one can be able to tolerate and associate amicably with people of other relationship I think we will be having a more peaceful world. This subject is a prove that the author really desired peace.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

His support for interfaith relationship is something I admire alot. Not to talk of the epilogue in the book, where he advocated for peace amongst all religions. He also showed example by marrying a Catholic woman despite the fact that he is a Muslim.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

I agree with you, I admired him for that. His relationship between him and his wife, a Muslim and a Catholic was inspirational.
Versaty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-versaty.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Versaty »

I have thought about it that if we could some number of people who could so much hold religious tolerance in this world, many wars, both international or intra-national, wouldnt have existed
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

I loved his stance and support for interfaith relationship. He believed that we served the same God and shared the same faith.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

Etini Willie wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 15:37 This is the recipe for world peace. When we learn to look at people beyond tiny indices like religious background. Dr. Ghoulem is extraordinary
I completely agree with you.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

I so much believe your point, nice one

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”