February 2021 - Fantasy/Magic Realism Book Recommendations

For February 2021 we'll be reading Fantasy/Magic realism books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

February 2021 - Fantasy/Magic Realism Book Recommendations

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Here is a place where we can recommend and/or ask for recommendations of what book(s) to read this month.

Fantasy: Usually set in fictional universe (or at least part of the story is), it can include magic or other supernatural elements, and/or magic or magical creatures. It tends to include things that are fictional and question what would happen if they were real (i.e. what if fairies were real?)
Magical Realism: Is a sub-genre of fantasy, the magic or supernatural included is set in the real world and blends the fantasy elements with everyday life.
My favorite and go to? Harry Potter, of course! 8)

Do you have any recommendations that you'd like to share?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love Harry Potter too!!!!!!

I recommend the Wayward Children series, "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern, and books by Haruki Murakami (one of my favorite authors).
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elena_04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-04.html
Latest Review: The Binding Stone by Liz D. Marx

Post by Elena_04 »

I think my best recommendations on fantasy will defiantly go to A darker shade of magic. I love this serie so much, and the author (V.E.Schwab) made an amazing job at including different ethnicities and different sexual orientations.
gali

Post by gali »

Elena_04 wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 00:23 I think my best recommendations on fantasy will defiantly go to A darker shade of magic. I love this serie so much, and the author (V.E.Schwab) made an amazing job at including different ethnicities and different sexual orientations.
The series is on my reading list. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 14:45 I love Harry Potter too!!!!!!

I recommend the Wayward Children series, "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern, and books by Haruki Murakami (one of my favorite authors).
Harry Potter is the best!

I like the Wayward Children series, too!

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is on my list to read!

I've never read (or heard of) Haruki Murakami. Is there of book of his that you would recommend in starting with?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 00:37
Elena_04 wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 00:23 I think my best recommendations on fantasy will defiantly go to A darker shade of magic. I love this serie so much, and the author (V.E.Schwab) made an amazing job at including different ethnicities and different sexual orientations.
The series is on my reading list. :)
I haven't heard of this series, but it does sound like an interesting one. Thank you for the recommendation! :tiphat:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 15:10

I've never read (or heard of) Haruki Murakami. Is there of book of his that you would recommend in starting with?
I loved all his books, but I recommend to start with Kafka on the Shore, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, or Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 00:02
hsimone wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 15:10

I loved all his books, but I recommend to start with Kafka on the Shore, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, or Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. :)
I've put Kafka on the Shore on my list to read to start with. Thank you for the recommendation! :tiphat:
Heidi

Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

I would HIGHLY recommend Legendborn by Tracy Deonn. It's a YA fantasy book that kickstarts a series, although being such a recent release, there are no other books of the series available yet. It's about a young girl who goes off to an early college program and gets involved in a magical secret society. Fantastic read!
gali

Post by gali »

Amber Nichole wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 23:14 I would HIGHLY recommend Legendborn by Tracy Deonn. It's a YA fantasy book that kickstarts a series, although being such a recent release, there are no other books of the series available yet. It's about a young girl who goes off to an early college program and gets involved in a magical secret society. Fantastic read!
The book is on my reading list. I am glad to hear it is good. Does it stand on its own? :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amber Nichole wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 23:14 I would HIGHLY recommend Legendborn by Tracy Deonn. It's a YA fantasy book that kickstarts a series, although being such a recent release, there are no other books of the series available yet. It's about a young girl who goes off to an early college program and gets involved in a magical secret society. Fantastic read!
That sounds like a great read! Going to add to my list to read. Thank you for the recommendation! :tiphat:
Heidi

elllajxx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elllajxx.html
Latest Review: The Midas Effect by Manuel Dorado

Post by elllajxx »

I am glad to know that the author presented inclusivity in her series. I'm looking forward to reading this. Thank you for the recommendation!

Return to “February 2021 Genre Discussion”