Villette by Charlotte Brontë

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lepetitedonut_01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Villette by Charlotte Brontë

Post by lepetitedonut_01 »

His mind was indeed my library, and whenever it was opened to me, I entered bliss

An underrated classic that should not be compared to its more famous sibling, Jane Eyre .

It features a solitary protagonist Lucy Snowe who spends much time introspecting on her life and the people in it.

Even the most detached reader will be sucked into the emotions and lush descriptions provided by this lonely narrator.

She cleverly conceals what she feels from the readers, only letting them in when she acknowledges them after the events have occurred.

Though some may detest the person revealed to be Monsieur Paul Emmanuel, his character seeks to grow on the reader through a personal development. Paul Carlos Emmanuel is a man at once fiery and brash, who hides a tender and unselfish facet since the past.

Other characters such as Madame Beck, Ginevra Fanshawe, John Graham Bretton etc, though their personalities are depicted as superficial, play a strong role in their interactions with our dear Lucy Snowe.

Though this classic takes place in a small idyllic town called Villette, many events have occurred which takes us through Ms Snowe’s character development, which started off as an unemotional satirical protagonist to a passionate flawed heroine.

At once unusual, lonely and bittersweet, this classic is not for the faint-of-heart.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

I read this book, but it was a long time ago. It seemed strange and sad to me.
Onwuesi Promise
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Onwuesi Promise »

Villette is no where near "Jane Eyre" for me. I love the both of them but in comparison, I will choose Jane Eyre.

Return to “Classic Books”