Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Humera955 »

I would like to recommend a list of books as classics.
As a big fan of paulo coelho i would like to recommended two books "the alchemist "
And "eleven minutes "
The other book would be "kafka on the shore " By haruki Murakami.
:tiphat:
Bernice Onyeka
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernice-onyeka.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Bernice Onyeka »

I will recommend everyone to read "A Woman of Substance" by Barbara Taylor Bradford. This book remains my favorite classic novel for more than 15 years now.

The undaunted Emma Harte comes from a little town in Yorkshire. She is a poverty ridden youth who was employed to work in the house of a wealthy family. What intrigued me most about this character is her driven spirit and her thirst for success.
All that she went through made her stronger and wiser and she sure made use of those outstanding qualities in her. It is a good book to enjoy. I will recommend you read it.
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think everyone should read brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. This book is a true eye-opener; it gives a priceless perspective on an uncountable amount of universal things, such as family, religion, justice, friendship, etc...
Luke Howard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luke-howard.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Luke Howard »

My favorite classics would have to be:
East of Eden by John Steinbeck: It's a wonderful moral allegory that spans across multiple generations and makes you feel old when you finish just because you feel like you've lived through it all.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley: This book is so haunting and beautiful at the same time. The characters are so well developed and the writing just sings. Also, I'm sure you'll find the plot a little different from what you think of when you hear Frankenstein.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: Like the previous one, this Romantic era writing is so eloquent and beautiful that it's like a chore to put it down. The story and symbolism are so enticing, and you get lost in the characters. Such a shame it's Wilde's only novel.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand: This one's a whopper at more than 1000 pages, but the plot draws you in and the main characters like Dagny Taggart and John Galt are so alluring and dramatic. Such a great dramatic writer.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley: Read this one recently, it foreshadows so many eerie things about modern society and more to come. A must read for the modern civilized human.
Amor+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Amor+ »

Crime and punishment is awesome
Avtar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Avtar »

I would like to recommend a list of books as classics.
As a big fan of paulo coelho i would like to recommended two books "the alchemist "
And "eleven minutes "
The other book would be "kafka on the shore " By haruki Murakami.
malvina_helia
Currently Reading: D.Gray-man, Vol. #24
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malvina-helia.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by malvina_helia »

I've been trying to get into Japanese literature for a while now and recently read Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata. It was such a nice read. I was surpised by how affected I was by the end of it. It was a bit confusing in the beginning, but the scenic descriptions and the whole vibe of the story made up for it. It's a perfect book for a snowy day, definetly best read in winter. I can recommmend it to anyone who likes a bit of melancholy and is intruiged by complex human relationships. The next step in my journey will be The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima. I hope I will like that as well as I liked this one.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

I had read '100 short stories' by O Henry and undoubtedly Henry was a master story teller. Once you start reading a story you feel to finish it to reach the enthralling end.
I would recommend this collection of stories to all those readers who would like to read short stories containing awe and surprise.
There are many stories which are simply captivating in this compilation but the one that I liked most is 'Gift of Magi'. This is a great story about a husband and wife who had too much concern for each other and the real surprise was there when they exchanged gifts within each other on the eve of the festival.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Edgardo Buelva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgardo-buelva.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Edgardo Buelva »

When I was young and a voracious reader, I happened to have read Harold Robins' "The Betsy" and immediately after that , Henry James' " Portrait of A Lady." I can't recall much nowadays what the Henry James' story is all about, but I remember that it is both a hard read with the prose beautiful and elegant. I wonder if "The Betsy" is a classic now but somehow I remember that the sex is quite explicit in the book in contrast to Henry James' depiction of a sex scene of her lady. I wish to chance meet with those two books again to see how I would view them now.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Charles Dicken's works can never be outdated as he represents the real world but characters have to unravel mysteries of their existence in extended environments to make them grow and get to understand their identity through their efforts.
Andrea Rocha
Favorite Book: The Portrait of Dorian Grey
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-rocha.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Andrea Rocha »

I do not know if “1984” can be considered as a classic book, but I certainly recommend it. The cruelty highly normalized in that dystopian world is just shocking! Is one of my favorite books of all time.
Sakina Fatima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakina-fatima.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by Sakina Fatima »

Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is a wonderful storybook, offering a great lesson for everyone. This classic book beautifully illustrated that treasure lies within us, no matter where we go and search for it.
Some literary classics are Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and Persuasion. All three are my favorites.
Stephan King's Misery is a classic page-turner!
I have also read almost all the books written by Sidney Sheldon. They are perfect unputdownable classics/thrillers.
Raiders7725
Currently Reading:

Post by Raiders7725 »

One of my favorite classic books is The Vampyre. I enjoy reading Gothic and early modern horror and I think that this little book fits the bill pefectly. It has all of the favorites: an evil aristocrat, a malevolent spell, and a hero who fights until the bitter end.
Kashmir Lalla
Currently Reading: Turtles All the Way Down
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashmir-lalla.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Kashmir Lalla »

One of the most absorbing classic books I have ever read was Allan Quatermain by H. Rider Haggard. Its a sequel to King Solomon's Mines. It holds your attention to the last page as most of Haggard's books do but I think this was his best one.
lhimer-philadmin

Post by lhimer-philadmin »

"A Tale of Two Cities" the best!!!

Return to “Classic Books”