Dorothy L. Sayers - Lord Peter Wimsey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrew Butchers
Currently Reading: The Long Arm of Fantomas
Bookshelf Size: 51

Dorothy L. Sayers - Lord Peter Wimsey

Post by Andrew Butchers »

Has anyone else read any of these books ? I read a few, I guess almost 50 years ago, but don't remember much about them.

I am now reading "Clouds of Witness" and am really enjoying it.

I find Wimsey a much more appealing character than Poirot, say. And I like the setting within the family.

I guess some might find him a bit of a snob.
Maslina
Currently Reading: DentistryXposed
Bookshelf Size: 1035

Post by Maslina »

Yes! I own all of them and am smitten with Lord Peter Wimsey. Dorothy Sayers was a fabulous writer indeed.
Nnadi Ruth
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Nnadi Ruth »

The mystery book "Clouds of Witness" by Dorothy L. Sayers was first released in 1926. The plot of the book centers on Lord Peter Wimsey, a British aristocrat and amateur detective, as he investigates the death of Captain Denis Cathcart, the fiancé of his sister. The Duke of Denver, Lord Peter's brother, is charged with the murder, which occurs in the middle of the night at the family's country house. Lord Peter uncovers hidden secrets and motivations among the family members and their allies as he investigates the matter further, resulting in a dramatic and unexpected resolution. The book is renowned for its complex storyline, well-rounded cast of characters, and Sayers' deft humor and wit.

very interesting.
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

Have read Clouds of Witness, Unpleasantness at the Ballona Club and Unnatural death.
Enjoyed the first couple, Unnatural death I was less taken with, but yes these are good reads and Lord Peter Wimsey is a fun character.
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

Have read Clouds of Witness, Unpleasantness at the Ballona Club and Unnatural death.
Enjoyed the first couple, Unnatural death I was less taken with, but yes these are good entertaining and Lord Peter Wimsey is a fun character.
Chi8102som8473jully
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chi8102som8473jully »

No I have not heard about it
Andrew Butchers
Currently Reading: The Long Arm of Fantomas
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by Andrew Butchers »

If you like 1920s detectives, they are worth looking at.

One thing I like is that Wimsey has a family - a mother, brother and sister. Later in the series, he marries, has children.

Return to “Classic Books”