Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Audrey McAlister
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audrey-mcalister.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Audrey McAlister »

Daddy-Long-Legs is an epistolary novel about Jerusha Abbott (a.k.a. Judy), a foundling who has spent her whole life in the dull and suffocating John Grier Home. She learns that a mysterious trustee has decided to sponsor her college education. His only requirement is that she writes him letters, keeping him updated on her education and her life. She is ecstatic, and eagerly agrees, writing to him often and giving him the nickname "Daddy-Long-Legs," because all she knows about the trustee is that he is tall.
The letters begin when Jerusha is 17 and they continue through the end of her college years, but the book is still quite short. If you're considering reading this book but daunted by the fact that it was written in 1912, never fear! It is extremely easy to read.
Judy's letters are often very silly, and many had me smiling or chuckling as I read. She is such a fun, cheerful character, despite her unfortunate past, and readers get to know her quite well through her letters. But the question I was constantly asking myself was, "Will she ever meet Daddy-Long-Legs?"
I won't spoil the ending, but I will say, it was even better than I expected.
So, if you're looking for a light-hearted read with a refreshing and hilarious heroine, pick up Daddy-Long-Legs!
Ludovica Peruzzi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

My favorite classic is definitely Wuthering Heights. "But they're all terrible people", "But Catherine and Heathcliff are so toxic", yes, I know. That's the point. WH as a book is so underrated if only because it's overrated for all the wrong reasons, whereas it's so thick it provides commentary on pretty much any theme or topic you could think of while also being a ruthless gothic romance.
sharon carey 1
Currently Reading: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-carey-1.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by sharon carey 1 »

Have any of you ever checked out Bloom's Western Canon? It is a list of books/poetry (from the Bible on up to modern day) that one should read to be considered 'well-read.' I'm working on it... doubt I'll finish it in my lifetime, but I will have given it a valiant effort!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: "Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff" by Jeffrey Bailey
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

There is whole sea of this genre and very difficult to chose out of all of great classics. I personally liked one which I recently read "To Kill a Mockingbird".It is a classic novel set in the American South during the 1930s. It follows the story of Scout Finch, a young girl growing up in a small town, and her father, Atticus Finch, a lawyer who defends an innocent black man accused of raping a white woman. Through Scout's innocent eyes, the novel explores themes of racism, prejudice, and the loss of innocence. It's a powerful and timeless story that teaches important lessons about empathy, justice, and the complexities of human nature. Reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" offers both a window into a pivotal moment in American history and a deeper understanding of the human condition.
Highly recommended.

Return to “Classic Books”