Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Re: Little Women

Post by ananya92 »

I think the book is good for reading during the teens. The American Civil War forms the backdrop of the story and the author has tread around this sensitive issue quite carefully so as to not make the book too serious for teens. It might come across as a bit preachy but it makes for a good read.
JessicaAnn123
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JessicaAnn123 »

I have read Little Women so many times over the years. I absolutely loved it! I loved all of the characters and their different personalities. I laughed with them and I cried with them. This book should be read by everyone!
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Post by rcratty »

I loved this book so much, I have reread many times. I suggest your scout group then read Joe's Boys and Little Men.
mkshorten
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkshorten.html

Post by mkshorten »

I loved Little Women when my parents gave it to me for my twelfth birthday, and I still love it now, especially the movie with Katharine Hepburn. To me, she is Jo (who is my favorite character, of course). I like it even better after growing up and learning more about Louisa May Alcott, who WAS one of the early feminists, and who was just a really interesting person. She learned from Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau when she was a child, basically supported her family through her writing, and was involved with the antislavery movement.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

This is one of my favorite classical books. I first read an abridged version when I was 10, and I liked it a lot. Then when I got a little older I read the full version. I loved it and then listened to it on audio tape. I love how the girls worked together and how I feel I am a part of each of them.
emmavandenberg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emmavandenberg »

Little women is a gorgeous book that I loved reading. It is a story that every girl can find a connection with themselves. It is a book that can be read then reread then read again. you will never be tired of the stories of Meg, Jo, Amy and Beth. It is a story of love, loyalty and family.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

This has now made me want to re-read it! But about the preachy - I don't know if this is true or not, but I seem to remember reading that, very oddly for children's books of the time there's no actual mention of the family ever going to church and that LMA herself was a Unitarian, which was seen as very unusual.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
kirsjap

Post by kirsjap »

I read the book when I was younger and then again in college. I love this book. It's one of my favorites. I, as many other women, wanted to be just like Jo. She was creative, a free thinker, loving, warm, and independent. She knew what she wanted, even though you (as a reader) wanted her to be with Laurie. (LOL) It's a great read and all the women are relatable for different traits. It's a funny, warm, touching, and sad read. The emotions go all over but you feel like you can really connect to the family and the different stories or life paths that each take while maintaining family unity.
Miri Faye
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miri-faye.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Miri Faye »

I read Little Women when I was in 5th grade, and I liked it. But, there was a really sad part that made me cry. It is a very well-written book, but while I don't think that teenagers would like it, I would recommend it to elementary-middle school girls.
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
Penbernal
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Penbernal »

There were certain books I read over and over and Little Women was one that I devoured several times. The characters were so fully realized even though there were many standard literary romantic tropes--unrequited love, family unity, mean girls, doomed sickly sweet girl, and headstrong female lead. While Jo, the headstrong, feisty main character, was my favorite of the four sisters, my heart ached for the impossibly sweet Beth who I couldn't resist despite her overly angelic personality. Fifty years ago I sobbed unconsolably upon reading of her death. I took great delight in the shallow, spoiled Amy and her ambitions to be a snobby aristocrat. A sucker for romance, I loved the crush that Laurie had on Jo and railed against her stubborn refusal to settle down. I went on to read Alcott's Little Men and Jo's Boys, a continuance of Jo's life. While not as perfectly executed, I was still able to revel in Alcott's memorable universe of feminine exuberance.
alm69al1982
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alm69al1982.html
Reading Device: B007G7CO2C

Post by alm69al1982 »

This is one of my favorite books! Heart warming and sad. You can always tell a good book when you get that emotional over it.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I loved that book! I read it when I was much younger!! Now I'm feeling the urge to read it again. I can't remember all the details, but I remember Jo. She was such a strong, independent character.
leann77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leann77.html

Post by leann77 »

I loved this book when I was a little girl. My boys are not as interested in it. :?
Javabean321
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javabean321.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Javabean321 »

My all-time favorite book! One that I believe will always be relevant and always age well. Young girls will always face similar challenges as the March girls.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
[pageturner]
Currently Reading: In Cold Blood
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pageturner.html

Post by [pageturner] »

I recently read Little Women for the first time in college and absolutely adored it. Not only is it a remarkable feminist book that Alcott snuck into her time, but it also criticizes religion in such an obscure way most people don't notice it. For example, in the end, when they are sitting in the orchard eating apples. This is not a Christian scene but a Pagan one. The matriarchy represented is inspiring and strengthened by the feminizing male characters. I would love to read this book to a future child of mine and hopefully give him/her some insight on how women do have agency and strength.

Return to “Classic Books”