Should some classics be re-written?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: Should some classics be re-written?

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

No, I think rewriting classics won't have the original vibe. It will lose its lustre and charm.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

rumik wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 18:51 I think it's equally important to get young people interested in classics but also to preserve the original as much as possible. A good balance would be those books that have both the original along with a modern "translation" side by side, so readers can enjoy the best of both worlds.
I agree. I love the No Fear Shakespeare series. They got me through English Lit. class!
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

If a classic is rewritten then it is no longer classic the initial originality may be lost. I am not okay with the idea of re-writing a classic.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Aditii Mehta »

No, I don't think classics should be re-written as the originality would be lost.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I think classics should stay as they are written, as well as any other book. Problem with rewriting them to adapt the language is that, once you have done that, what stops you from rewriting it to update the plot? Or something that isn’t correct any more?
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I do not think Classics should be rewritten. They are tied to a specific era or time and everything matches that era. Maybe they should have a refence to explain the things that have since changed.
Temo Mpodi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Temo Mpodi »

It would be nice to have them re-written to fully understand all parts, because in all their linguistic part, sometimes it’s hard to understand some parts of the book. But, a classic will always remain a classic.
jareauluv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jareauluv »

in my opinion, they don't need to be re-written because they are classics that still are in our time, and we can learn from them even if most of the words are unfamiliar, we can still learn new words for our vocabulary and expand our mind.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: A Christian Life.....Connected by John L Walsh

Post by Abraham Ozo »

I think a book like Chinua Achebe's Things fall apart should be re-written. Not because it was bad but because it contains so many rich heritage that youths of this age can benefit from.
Cheshta Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshta-sharma.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cheshta Sharma »

I don't necessarily think classic books should be rewritten. Only because as the words classic suggest it's true to its time period. However, I do enjoy reading adaptations and retellings as long as it states that it is a retelling or adaptation so credit is given to the classic.
roddma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roddma.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by roddma »

Rewriting the classics makes no sense to me. I think the ones who call for this aren't considering the era. For example, Mark Twain's works have caused controversy, but omitting the language doesn't help. A lot of noteworthy people then would be controversial by today's standards. You can't hold them to today's standards.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

I'm saying this both as someone whose first language growing up wasn't English, and as someone with a cognitive disability: we shouldn't be re-writing classics, period. What we should do, instead, is have more extensive Commentary sections in books with more difficult language. By simplifying certain works, you are taking away from the actual message the book is trying to communicate. Most good authors, especially those whose works have become classics, use words in a very particular way, and 'dumbing' their works down, so to speak, goes against their original intentions. I am all for aids and accommodations to be more available for people who want to read difficult books but might struggle with the language. I am absolutely against re-writing any work, of any author, aside from translations. Really, if I ever died and my work ended up being re-written with 'simpler' language, I'd come back from the dead to haunt whoever did that. It doesn't help anyone, it goes against the author's wishes, and really? I just think it's downright disrespectful, both to the author who spent months and years of their life on their work, and to the people who want to read difficult books, that they inherently need 'simple' language to understand what the book is about.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

No, I don't believe that. However, may I suggest that rather than rewriting classics, it may serve as the basis for a novel about it?
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

Because they defined an era and, like a select few books, captured the historical context of their writing, "classic" novels came to be defined in this way.
Tyson Beverly
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tyson Beverly »

I believe so. Classics paved the way for modern writers, so there's no reason why modern writers shouldn't put their own twists on them. I personally love (and am searching for more of) lovely classics that have been turned into a gory mess. The creativity of authors that do this is amazing to me. I also believe that simplifying the language of classics is very important. Younger people who have not yet discovered the joys of older works could be swayed if they were easier to digest!

I'll always prefer the originals, though. Macbeth and what we have of Beowulf are favorites of mine.
Tyson Beverly (He/Him)

Return to “Classic Books”