Should some classics be re-written?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: Should some classics be re-written?

Post by Dragonsend »

I don't think classics should be rewritten, people would not be able to appreciate language in and of itself as much. I dread a world where all people learn is text slang.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Absolutely not. That would be an heresy. :cry2: :o
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Definitely not. Classics are like time capsules and if they're re-written a part of history will be lost. I remember when I first read a classic, A Tale of Two Cities, my teacher was so enthused when he read the first few lines of the book to us; even if we didn't understand the intro.

After reading the book we started to understand the meaning of different sayings and situations. To top it off there are already books out there that translate classics - which irk me - to explain what things mean right off the bat. The best way to understand something that's in a book is to read through; the meanings will surface gradually.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

Jlbaird85 wrote: 08 May 2019, 23:40 I am not a fan of rewriting classics. They can be difficult to read, but that is part of learning and expanding our horizons. I know that when I was studying Shakespeare, I hated the language and everything that went along with it, but now my favorite quote comes from As You Like It. It was difficult to read and understand, but I am so glad I did!
I agree with this wholeheartedly. One of the joys of reading, though not necessarily for everyone, is stretching yourself and expanding your horizons. I know I enjoy books that challenge me, that force me to look things up or figure things out. I think there are a million ways we make things easier for people when people might be better served by being challenged. I don't think reading should be one of them.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
Jenna_p93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jenna_p93 »

I believe classics should most definitely not be rewritten. A classic is called a classic for a reason. It was written by someone a hundred years ago (give or take some years) and captures the essence of that time period. By having a classic rewritten, it is leaving behind a piece of culture and turning that book/novel into another sad reconstruction of today’s society.
Dainora
Currently Reading: Mock My Words
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Dainora »

I don't think that classic should be re-written. I do understand opinions, that say that books were written for specific times, but on the other hand, making it easier to read for nowadays readers kills the authenticity of these times, we lose the opportunity to learn about those times. It's too much of superficial reading nowadays, making classic easier to reach, will just increase it in my opinion.
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

I don't think so, guys.
They would lose their perfection , or classic hood, or whatever makes them tick.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Some rewrites are better entertainment if not better literature. It was with great amazement I recognized Apocalypse Now in Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

It's not so much a "rewriting" that is needed as it is a retelling of the story. I had to read Ovid's "Metamorphoses" in college, and it was quite a slog. Later I encountered a book by Ted Hughes that retold some of the stories in Ovid's collection in modern English. So much better! Lively, interesting, beautifully written stories -- overall a great read.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I love The Scarlet Letter, but my students always had such a hard time understanding it. I liked to supplement some of it with adapted versions, along with the original in order to preserve the writer’s integrity of the novel.
ratpizza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by ratpizza »

I don't think classics should be rewritten. They capture the time period in which they were written and allow the reader to picture what it was like during the particular time frame. If they were to be rewrritten in a new time period they would lose a bit of that magic that allows a book to transport you back in time.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I'd love to have some accurate and easy to read Shakespeare retellings.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Abeerdxx
Currently Reading: The Legendary Master’s Wife
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abeerdxx.html
Latest Review: The Adults in the Room by Jeffrey D. Mechling

Post by Abeerdxx »

This is a very interesting topic actually, I haven't though of it before.
In my opinion, classics shouldn't be re-written simply because they depict the times (linguistically speaking) they were written which is something I think is important. Also, I don't particularly enjoy reading modernized novels or simplified ones as it doesn't have the same effect on the reader.
I have been unfortunate enough not to know that a certain novel I read a few years ago -Jane Eyre- was simplified (made shorter and revised for younger readers), and when I read it I was kind of disappointed and simply thought that it wasn't a good read, then later on read the original work and noticed the difference.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

No, I think the whole point of classics is that they are old and have a strong sense of tradition in them.
imaginarilily
Currently Reading: The Perfect Storm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by imaginarilily »

I'd prefer retellings of those stories, like how West Side Story is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, or how 10 Things I Hate About You is a retelling of Taming of the Shrew. They're new works, but with classic stories at their hearts. The story's bare bones are kept which leaves room to make new material. if all a person is doing is writing the same story over again but losing the language that's part of what made the story so great then what's the point? what creativity is being used?
I get it with Sparknotes Shakespeare translations or similar items making it easier for students to study for tests though- sparknotes saved me in english this year with their Lord of the Flies notes. But otherwise the original language is part of what makes a classic a classic, and shouldn't be changed for understanding. Maybe footnotes or something similar would be helpful.

Return to “Classic Books”