Middlemarch by George Elliot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
seayork2002
Bookshelf Size: 0

Middlemarch by George Elliot

Post by seayork2002 »

Hi,

I have got about 30 pages in and I am lost, I love the story (so far :)) but the language is very hard to comprehend, does anyone have any tips to enjoy it as I really don't want to give it up so soon.

Thanks in advance.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Although I prefer her earlier work (George Eliot was a lady) like her semi-autobiographical Mill On The Floss, the thing to remember is she wrote with humour. Perhaps not how we interpret humour today, but the subtle social humour of the time. Middlemarch is a chunk of Victorian England circa 1871, and covers most aspects of life in that era through the eyes of the characters. I wouldn't treat it as historical current affairs, I'd treat it as catching up with friends.
Sometimes you get their jokes and sometimes you don't!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Chithranga

Post by Chithranga »

Although it sometimes sound dull at the begining with lengthy passages and very difiicult vocabulary as you read along the story becomes intersting.
Though it is a Victorian book most of the characters becomes dear to our heart and the themes can be appplied even to the contemporary world as well.
As for a tip just skip sections which sound difficult and always analyze the incidents perhaps with your own experincees
MeTime

Post by MeTime »

I was amazed at how marriage issues are the same exact way today.....
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The last sentence of this book is, in my opinion, one of the most beautifully written passages in the English language.

"But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."
- George Elliot, 1872

The books of George Eliot (as well as Charles Dickens) helped to awaken the conscience of her contemporaries to the need for social reform and were certainly instrumental to the accomplishment of those ends. I find it fitting that the quotation above - Eliot's own - could serve as a tribute to George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) herself.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:The last sentence of this book is, in my opinion, one of the most beautifully written passages in the English language.

"But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."
- George Elliot, 1872

The books of George Eliot (as well as Charles Dickens) helped to awaken the conscience of her contemporaries to the need for social reform and were certainly instrumental to the accomplishment of those ends. I find it fitting that the quotation above - Eliot's own - could serve as a tribute to George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) herself.
@DATo
That is one of those sentences that always bring a tear to my eye, no matter how many times I've read it.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
MeTime

Post by MeTime »

I have always LOVED that and it is one of the passages I added at the time, to a notebook I keep, of beautifully written things that I've come across. I did not think of that as applying to the author herself though - I'm so glad to think of it that way.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

This book was a little like the Wizard of Oz for me - everyone I know was in it!
I was so amazed at how people are people wherever you go.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

lady_charlie wrote:This book was a little like the Wizard of Oz for me - everyone I know was in it!
I was so amazed at how people are people wherever you go.
You know, I had never thought of that before, but you are absolutely right ! *L*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

With long, intricate novels with large casts of characters, I recommend looking online to find some sort of study guide or outline with a character list to help you keep track of everything.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I'm reviving this because it took me three years to get through Middlemarch and I am passionate about it.

As a junior in high school, I felt very strongly about Dorothea. I related to her more so than any protagonist I have yet come by. I loved her and I wanted her to go on and do great things concerning her charity work. But then she goes on the marry an old man for his devotion to his work on various gods! Reading through the book, I didn't really feel any love between them, like a married couple should have, at least in the beginning! I was furious! I thought she was wasted on him!

And then Rosalind and poor Mr. Whitlaw. I never forgave her for riding on a horse even though she knew she was pregnant. I can't fault her though for her vapid nature, that's what fascinated me about her. But I did feel bad that she pulled herself and her doctor into debt.

Return to “Classic Books”