An overhyped classic you really didn't like

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mary mcvicker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: An overhyped classic you really didn't like

Post by mary mcvicker »

'Emma' by Jane Austen! It felt like it was all country manors, clinking teacups and polite gossip - and no real conflict ... Emma herself didn't seem too likeable either and sadly I just couldn't get into it!
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I really wanted to like Jane Austen's Emma, but I was too taken aback by how carelessly she handled everyone's lives. Sadly, I was cringing too much to detect that well-known comedy.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

This would be Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte for me. I think this book is over hyped because after a lot of anticipation i finally read the book and discovered that all the characters were quit disppointing
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Return of the native by Thomas Hardy wasn't worth the hype for me.
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

A book that was really difficult for me to get through that I’d heard good things about was The Invisible Man. I found it slow, tedious to read, and full of unconnected inner dialogue that did not do much to further any time of plot or point. I’m still not entirely sure what the point of this story was, and I really struggled to write about it for a high school book report.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I never really understood why the Harry Potter series became so popular. I didn't identify with any of the characters and didn't find the plots exciting or interesting.
Christa Joshua
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading: Sister B
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Christa Joshua »

Sav Sparkman wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 11:04 A book that was really difficult for me to get through that I’d heard good things about was The Invisible Man. I found it slow, tedious to read, and full of unconnected inner dialogue that did not do much to further any time of plot or point. I’m still not entirely sure what the point of this story was, and I really struggled to write about it for a high school book report.

I never heard about this book what is this book about?
Christa Joshua

Post by Christa Joshua »

Favy Moses wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 22:10 This would be Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte for me. I think this book is over hyped because after a lot of anticipation i finally read the book and discovered that all the characters were quit disppointing
I did hear about this book but never read it , heard it was one of the best classic books . Probably should read and find out what the hype is all about .
Christa Joshua

Post by Christa Joshua »

maggi3 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 15:51 It's really interesting to see what others wrote here. I loved books like Wuthering Heights and Great Gatsby, and I love most of the Shakespeare plays I have read so far. I hated Pride and Prejudice the first time I read it, but now I love it. My opinions might change if I reread these books, but I tried to read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and had to give up half way through because I was so bored and disgusted with the main character. I also couldn't make it through Les Miserables. I agree with @MoeBrown about This Side of Paradise, too.
Shakespeare's plays are good I like most the plays that he wrote . Pride and prejudice is good but not the kind where I would want to read it again .
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

Christa Joshua wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:00
Sav Sparkman wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 11:04 A book that was really difficult for me to get through that I’d heard good things about was The Invisible Man. I found it slow, tedious to read, and full of unconnected inner dialogue that did not do much to further any time of plot or point. I’m still not entirely sure what the point of this story was, and I really struggled to write about it for a high school book report.

Honestly, I really couldn’t tell you! The story follows a man who feels like no one notices him, hence the feeling of being invisible. There is no real underlying plot, the book seems to just follow him through mundane life activities where he reflects on feeling unappreciated. Perhaps there is a larger story line, but it was so difficult for me to read through that I don’t remember it.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Christa Joshua

Post by Christa Joshua »

Sav Sparkman wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:18
Christa Joshua wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:00

Honestly, I really couldn’t tell you! The story follows a man who feels like no one notices him, hence the feeling of being invisible. There is no real underlying plot, the book seems to just follow him through mundane life activities where he reflects on feeling unappreciated. Perhaps there is a larger story line, but it was so difficult for me to read through that I don’t remember it.
Oh I see must be quite a task to read such books and here I was thinking it might fictional, Thanks though you were helpful

Return to “Classic Books”