An overhyped classic you really didn't like

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Triduana
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 263

Re: An overhyped classic you really didn't like

Post by Triduana »

Wuthering Heights for me as well. It probably didn't help that I had to study it at school and read it several times, going through with highlighters. But I've tried to read it since and I just can't get through it.

Catcher in the Rye too. It's the only book I've ever thrown across a room.
Fully_booked
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fully_booked »

I often find that the word 'classic'is unreliable - yes, often the novels are filled with highly relevant themes or perhaps an interesting plot, however, many a time the actual wordcraft leaves much to be desired. Although it is almost blasphemous to say so as an English teacher and a writer myself, I could never find a love for Bronte or Austen. I appreciate their writing and do hold in high regard as a professional, but as just a lover of books - it is a no from me.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

MellieBellie wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 06:44 It's a tie: "Wuthering Heights" (every single character is an asshole) and "Portrait of a Lady" (which I've read 3 or 4 times, hope springing eternally that THIS TIME it will be interesting, and I'm always wrong)
😒
For the same reason, I had a very difficult time getting anything out of Wuthering Heights :lol2: Though, my favorite teacher told me to reread it in my 20’s, and I would likely get more out of it. I’ve yet to do so, but I suppose it’s worth a try.
Peyton4
Currently Reading: The Four Hour Workweek
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peyton4.html
Latest Review: Striking It Rich by R.H. Webster

Post by Peyton4 »

Fully_booked wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 01:47 I often find that the word 'classic'is unreliable - yes, often the novels are filled with highly relevant themes or perhaps an interesting plot, however, many a time the actual wordcraft leaves much to be desired. Although it is almost blasphemous to say so as an English teacher and a writer myself, I could never find a love for Bronte or Austen. I appreciate their writing and do hold in high regard as a professional, but as just a lover of books - it is a no from me.
I'm not an English teacher or a writer, and I still find it hard to say I hate a classic. For some classics, I think I just read them too early when I either didn't fully understand the meaning or I just wasn't at that reading level yet. It's hard to enjoy a book when every sentence feels like a translation. I've enjoyed classics more now that I understand them, but there are some I still dislike. Jane Austen doesn't do it for me either, and I have a special hate for "Lord of the Flies".
May your days be full of magic and dragons.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I don't hate it, but found it fairly difficult to get into Atlas Shrugged. It was hyped and praised for touching on important themes yet I struggled to get past a few pages. Even when assigned to read a specific section I couldn't do it.

Lord of the Flies was okay and I didn't finish Catcher in the Rye as it was a library book and haven't really gone back to finish. Catcher is different because I took interest after it was mentioned in this animated series because a quote from the book was highlighted and was used as a possible lead in an ongoing case at the time.

Most classics I can get through but some are near impossible.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by victoriasimons »

I found Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen really disappointing. I loved reading her other books when I was younger but found this one really disillusioning: all these women do is walk around and pine over men. I appreciate that this isn't really Austen's fault but rather an accurate portrayal of women at the time, but it was quite frustrating from my perspective.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

Brandt wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 17:05 I really didn't enjoy Brave New World upon reflection. I wanted to like it because I felt like I should-- but it really wasn't a book that captured my attention at the first go around. I may reread it and maybe I will find something more in it, but it didn't live up to the hype that it was given to me in school.
I hear you. I have tried a few times to read BNW, but have never made it past page one. I want to read it, but my brain just won’t process Huxley’s prose.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
drwcroaker

Post by drwcroaker »

jknight885 wrote: 31 May 2020, 00:47 I just couldn't get through Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. The words just didn't seem to go in.
I forced myself to finish HOD because I love Apocalypse Now, but it was hard to slog through and I don’t feel enlightened for having read it.
drwcroaker

Post by drwcroaker »

Bulbul1122 wrote: 12 May 2020, 14:52 I didn't quite like Twilight series......Being a fiction I understand it being unreal but what readers want is to relate with the plot however bizzare or unreal it may seem....For me Twilight didn't serve that connection
Please tell me no one considers the Twilight books as classics! I had fun reading them but I doubt they will stand the test of time. Perhaps I’m just old?
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Heart of Darkness for me. While it was creepy, I found it too slow to enjoy. Perhaps I'll try again.
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

So glad to see I'm not the only one who struggled with Wuthering Heights! I could only get half-way through before I had to put it down and move on. I also really wish I enjoyed Emma by Jane Austen, but I couldn't get over how much Emma played with everyone's lives so casually. Unfortunately, I was cringing too hard to find that famous humor.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I didn't mind Wuthering Height but I don't like that it's called a historical romance. It's a story about a very abusive and manipulative relationship between two people. I also really didn't enjoy Great Expectations
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html

Post by Siriusly_blank »

I am definitely not a "classics" person ...I just don't get the hype that comes with classics.

Thought Shakespearean plays are always a pleasure to read but I certainly didn't follow " The tempest". It had quite a lot of characters but it was Prospero , the protagonist, who got on my nerves. He was portrayed to be essentially good. He sounded less like a character more like a God . I would prefer him if he were a little less Noble hence more human. The entire plot is caused by his magic except the King's decision to marry his daughter far across the sea thereby giving Prospero the opportunity to exploit them. Miranda and Ferdinand's love plot wasn't intriguing like other Shakespearean love plots (like that of Portia &Bassanio ; Jessica& Lorentio's) .This play didn't just have that sweet bite of Shakespearean style.
I still like the play's essence , enchanting setting and vivid storyline.

The book I actually despise is the " Wuthering Heights" ... it's definitely an overrated edition.
The Lord of rings book series also failed to cast it's spell on me.
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

Honestly, I don't like Lord of the Flies. I know that people say or that it showcases conflicting human nature and for some time I did convince myself so, like most of us do with classic literature but I finally have to admit that I found it incredibly boring and meaningless.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html

Post by a_r_egerton »

I had to read Paradise Lost twice in college. It put me to sleep both times.

Return to “Classic Books”