Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alison_Matthews
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Post by Alison_Matthews »

This is the first dickens book that I have read, but he has a way of making you feel connected to the characters and really bringing them to life. This book was amazing and I would recommend it to anyone, it is a good read for all ages, I am fourteen years old and I loved this classic!
Haiqaak

Post by Haiqaak »

I have read a tale of two cities by Dickens and I simply loved it. Dickens writing is so different and inspiring. I an looking forward to read great expectation now.
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

I personally though this was one of Charles Dickens' most amazing novels. The constant suffering of Pip over some girl that never cared about him was an emotional roller coaster that I probably would have done without but was worth the ride. When Estella finally sees Pip happy at the end of the novel and she herself in sadness, even with her riches, was a complete turnaround, as one can see that when one can live happily with family and what little they have, then nothing more is needed.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
michelleNYclassics
Currently Reading: Reading my way through the classics...

Post by michelleNYclassics »

Great Expectations was my 2nd Dickens read, though one that I sought out intentionally (the 1st, A Tale of Two Cities, being mandatory in high school). I do intend to revisit A Tale, now that I've found an appreciation for the classics, but for today... Great Expectations. Opening right away with poor Pip trying to comprehend the loss of his parents only to swap his sorrow for fear with the introduction of the escaped convict, the story most definitely pulls the reader into Pip's corner and has him/her awaiting these titled great expectations that might provide the young boy a reprieve from his dark days.

Yet just when we think that improvements are finding their way into Pip's life, the intentions of Miss Haversham become clear. Embittered by a betrayal of the heart, she acts as puppet master tugging the strings of her beautiful Estella and drawing poor Pip onto her tragic stage of heart break. I couldn't find myself resentful of old, crazy Miss Haversham however. She is too absorbed by her own wretched past to truly understand the cruel mind games she plays with Pip and her puppet, Estella.

I think one of the best hidden themes within Dickens' tale is that of innocence -- the pure tenacity of it in Pip, the destruction of it in Miss Haversham, the perversion of it in Estella and finally the reincarnation of it in our convicted felon, who we learn to be the benefactor of Pip's grand rise in status.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I read this book long time back in my teens and initially I had found it a bit slow. But towards the end when the plot reveals itself, I thought, "the world is a small place" , with characters being related to each other through blood or fate. The transformation and growth of Pip's character from a boy to a man, and how he faces temptations in life and how he learns from his mistakes, is something I think many of us can identify with. The book had other interesting characters as well like Miss Havisham whose mysterious brain and depressed persona, gave the reader a very different understanding of human nature. I think this was the second best work of Charles Dickens.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

When I first tried to read this book, I had trouble getting into it, but then, I was in middle school. When I read it again for class in 9th grade, I found myself enjoying it a great deal. What I loved most were the characters and how unique they were, from the bitter Miss Haversham to the irrepressible joy of Herbert. I found myself drawn into this book (as into just about every other book by Dickens I've read) by them rather than by the plot.

I'm curious as to what other people think about the fact that there are two different endings. Is there one that you think fits better? What do you think of the fact that he had to change the ending?
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Post by rcratty »

For Christmas I received the complete works of Charles Dickens with a complete history. Great Expectations is an example of the quality of his entire work. A wonderful jumping off work to dig into his writing.
arlina
Currently Reading: Menuhin
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arlina.html

Post by arlina »

A very interesting book. It is the first work from Charles Dickens that I read. The style is clear, the story is well told and made me think about the turns one's life can take.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

This book was interesting for me but also very frustrating. While I understood Pip's Estella struggles (who doesn't get unrequited love now and then, even for cold people?) I was disappointed in how much he disowned Joe. And towards the end I was very confused.
But then, I last read it about three years ago. Perhaps it is time for a reread.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

Rate: 4/5 stars

Okay. Let me start off by saying that this is my favorite book. Ever. If you’re ever going to read a classic for fun, read this one. At the end, I was so happy that I literally cried. (But then I learned about the first ending that Dickens wrote and nearly choked.)

Great Expectations starts with Pip as a six-year-old, kneeling at his parents’ graves. He grows with a passion for learning, yet is doomed to his blacksmith Uncle’s profession. A mysterious benefactor propels him to the city where he learns to become a gentleman while he pursues a childhood love-at-first-sight. As the years go by, Pip ponders the origin of his wealth, but upon finding the answer, he becomes distraught and fearful of an unforgiving future, and the dangerous man who fulfilled his childhood dreams.

Pip starts out innocent enough—stealing food for a felon and all—but grows to become detestable as a main character. I lost respect as his pride exploded in his adolescent years. He continually struggles with the barriers of class, but as he moves up in the world, he grows full of himself. For a good portion of the novel, he is hard for me to relate to because I find him so annoying.

I’m not a fan of the whole love-at-first-sight thing. Or Estella in general. It’s not believable at all, but it was acceptable and unheard of for the era, I guess. I do, however, grow to ship the idiot child and the cruel bombshell for reasons I can’t explain. The adolescent romance is believable and works as a subplot.

I foresaw the identity of the benefactor, but it still got me. Dickens did an amazing job of writing the scene where the mystery is solved. I can’t say much more on the matter due to spoilers, but oh my—there is so much I would say on the matter.

As I sit here thinking, I’m realizing that there isn’t much more I can say without giving up a ton of spoilers.

Herbert. My sweet child, Herbert. I absolutely love Herbert. He’s the perfect contrast to brooding, stupid Pip—and he lives with him without murdering him. I envy their friendship. I almost wish Herbert was the main character. I would have enjoyed the book even more.

If you’re reading Great Expectations, make sure you read both endings; Dickens wrote one without a happy ending, and one with a happy ending. The happy one is usually put in recently printed books, but both are satisfying and offer closure on the matter of Pip and Estella.

I recommend this for anyone. The language takes a while to get used to if you don’t read classics, but I guarantee it’ll suck you in. Dickens remains to be my favorite author, and his works continue to amaze me.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I'm ashamed to say I haven't read any Dickens yet. Hopefully that will change soon as I plan to read a lot of classic novels in the near future.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
thereader123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thereader123.html

Post by thereader123 »

To me, truly , this book was extremely amazing. I love the way Charley expressed every sentence directly, yes I pay close attention to there words in each sentence.
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

This is one brilliant book right here. I loved it from the very first sentence, I loved how the characters developed and I simply adored how plot twisted and trow me off "my horse". It is a beautiful and heartbreaking book.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
Montreal

Post by Montreal »

Great Expectations is one of Dickens tragic works.But that is , in fact, his theme in his novels and writings. The readers would not expect to find a light of hope in the novel, since Dickens is pessimistic ,especially about the future of children. But the novel could be appreciated by the readers who tend to get entertained by moments of sadistic torture.
So the novel two perspectives depending on the eye of the reader viewing it.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I read this book last year and i enjoyed how ideas are arranged.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou

Return to “Classic Books”