Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BarelyHuman
Favorite Book: How to Marry a Marquess
Currently Reading: The Duke's Shotgun Wedding
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Animal Farm

Post by BarelyHuman »

George Orwell has always been one to hide his intention within well created allegories and parables of some sort. A trait that can be found in his 1984 and even Burmese days and I guess this is expected because most of his works when viewed through the political situation and sociological composition of the people in his country during those times, are actually very radical.

They speak against the government, injustice, and the idiosyncrasies of the ruling class. The amazing thing about Animal Farm however is that the names of the animals for some reason correspond with the names of world leaders at that time. I mean a pig named Snowball? A horse named Boxer?

George Orwell was trying to pass a message across which in a very clear way that cannot be faulted and he succeeded though the government thought banning the book was the right thing to do. :roll2:

That was a very bad move on their part though. I mean banning a book adds to its mystery and most books banned in the past have turned out to be well accepted by the world in general.

George Orwell though is the real deal.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

Animal farm is book that I enjoyed reading while I was still in high school.My favorite was Napoleon though he had his own fouls.Its a classic display of what took place in Africa post colonialism and how persistently our mind sets keeping failing us. How development is an allergy we suffer from hence not meeting the desired standards resulting into the wish would have been.
rose rasheed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rose rasheed »

Animal Farm is one of my favorite book I enjoy reading with my children. I would recommend it anytime.
Wisdom777
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Wisdom777 »

Woah ! Another book of my childhood days. What a transfer from human world to the animal kingdom. Orwell has a way with words and imagination. The way the pigs tract to emotions in the human world is amazing . If the author could have just used a little more of suspense and drama this book would have been hypnotised the young adult readers more. Good job .
paulkinyuao+

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

A good book for a good revolution.

If inspiration is what you seek, here you shall find it.
Oscar Ray
Currently Reading:

Post by Oscar Ray »

To me, the greatest compliment this book receives is when people don't know it's a political allegory. Politics is always so in your face, and political opinions so spoon fed, that to know that a subtle political masterpiece like this exists is comforting. Even though Orwell never wrote a happy ending, I always smile when I read his books.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

It's so creepy how relevant this book is in today's world!
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

Animal Farm was required reading for us in school. We analyzed it thoroughly and were examined on it. Most of my classmates disliked it and hated reading it. A couple of years later, it was once more on the syllabus. Interestingly, they switched it from the English Literature exam to the Swahili exam, so those behind us in school read the translated version. I still remember my sister's tribulations with that!

I found it quite difficult as well, although I was intrigued by the underlying message. Maybe I will re-read it one of these days.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Had nothing to do with the animals for me. The book was very simple to understand, yet is framed in a way that one cannot know its true message unless they apply it to both historical and modern political events.
Kali Khozi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kali Khozi »

I loved the book. I could see the animals and their actions in my imaginary mind. I wish I could write a story like this.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read it when I was a teenager. It should be paired with 1984 even if their styles are practically opposite because Animal Farm tells about a revolution and its betrayal by its leaders and 1984 tells whan happens after those leader establish an authoritarian regime.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

It’s one of my favourite books. I can re-read it several times without losing interest. Same with 1984. I agree that banning books only add to the mystery.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I really love the metaphor of the pigs being in charge in this piece. I don't usually love audiobooks but this one was hugely entertaining as such.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I read this one in the Swahili version as one of my high school setbooks. It's a great read.
rk228
Currently Reading:

Post by rk228 »

Animal Farm is a wonderful book. I mean there's the political and satire side to it, but you can also see the idea of the 'fairy story'. In the book, people generally see good and bad, stupid vs. smart, but there's more to the story than that. When I read the book, I didn't really see any of that. I didn't think of Napoleon as bad or Boxer as good. I simply saw them for what they were. How they were wired. It's in their nature to be that way.
But it's a must-read. The book depicts animals and humans in almost the same way; like they're the same thing. And in the end, they are.

Return to “Classic Books”