Sherlock or Poirot?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ofir Shatz
Currently Reading: Waterworks
Bookshelf Size: 23

Re: Sherlock or Poirot?

Post by Ofir Shatz »

Well, I believe we're talking about the two detectives' personalities, and not which novels are preferred in the literary sense (which is dealt in another post – "Agatha Christie vs Arthur Conan Doyle"). So, here's my take on it:

It's quite clear, even without too much research that one of Agatha Christie's most significant influence in creating the figure of Poirot was the well-known Sherlock Holmes, and she also admitted it herself. So, Holmes has the advantage of being there first.

The two figures have some similarities, mostly their being bachelors, their exceptional abilities, their crew, etc. They also have dissimilarities – the most obvious is Poirot being a foreigner, a complete stranger to the British culture he lives in. However, these are mostly circumstantial. When I observe the personality of the two detectives, as most eccentric as both detectives are, I find the figure of Holmes much more human. Here's why:

- Holmes is less arrogant than Poirot. He sometimes boasts about his abilities and "the science of deduction", but this is mostly in the face of Dr Watson, and not in the presence of other people, while Poirot keeps boasting about his "little gray cells" in front of almost anyone who listens to him, and always regards himself as the most important person around. Christie herself couldn't bear his character (Wikipedia - By 1930, Agatha Christie found Poirot "insufferable", and by 1960 she felt that he was a "detestable, bombastic, tiresome, ego-centric little creep").

- Holmes is very successful, but sometimes makes mistakes. He sometimes fails. He has some equal rivals that beat him in a few occasions. I refer to Irene Adler in "A Scandal in Bohemia", Professor Moriarty, which finds him and kills him, in a fight in which they both lose their lives in "The Last Problem" (Well, we know that, later, Holmes is brought back to life). Holmes even believes, for a moment that he failed to guard Sir Henry Baskerville, until, luckily, it turns out that the victim is the criminal Selden, and not Baskerville. Maybe there are some more examples that I don't remember.

- Holmes has weaknesses – he is sometimes under depression, he uses drugs. In comparison, Poirot hardly has flaws.

- Holmes is a man of wide horizons – he plays the violin, he writes scientific monographs, and he even writes some of the stories – for example, "The Lion's Mane". I don't recall any similar feature in Poirot.

These facts are some of the reasons why I like Holmes much more than Poirot. I stress, again, that I related here only to the personalities, and not to the literary qualities of the stories and novels themselves.
Kebun Bunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The feedback on the comparison between Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot is well-structured and provides insightful observations on their personalities. The reviewer acknowledges that Agatha Christie drew inspiration from Sherlock Holmes in creating Poirot. They highlight the similarities between the two detectives, such as their bachelor status and exceptional abilities, but also note the differences, particularly Poirot's foreign background. In terms of personality, the reviewer finds Holmes to be more human than Poirot for several reasons. They mention that Holmes is less arrogant and boasts about his abilities mainly in front of Dr. Watson, while Poirot constantly boasts in front of others. The reviewer also points out that Holmes makes mistakes, has weaknesses like depression and drug use, and showcases a wide range of interests, such as playing the violin and writing scientific monographs. In comparison, Poirot is portrayed as lacking flaws and diverse interests. The feedback stays within the context of comparing the personalities of the two detectives rather than evaluating the literary qualities of their stories.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

This is a rather challenging query. They both seem to have benefits in my opinion. I would read a "cross over" novel if it ever came out featuring these two characters working together on a mystery.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Sherlock Holmes.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I’m not choosing anybody over Sherlock. Sherlock is my best character. He doesn’t stop amazing me.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

Undoubtedly it is Sherlock Holmes. No competition.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

Hi!
Yes Sherlock Holmes, is known for his proficiency with observation, deduction, forensic science and logical reasoning that borders on the fantastic, which he employs when investigating cases for a wide variety of clients, including Scotland Yard. He is one of America's favorite!
Ofir Shatz
Currently Reading: Waterworks
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Ofir Shatz »

Loretta Morris 1 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 20:24 Hi!
Yes Sherlock Holmes, is known for his proficiency with observation, deduction, forensic science and logical reasoning that borders on the fantastic, which he employs when investigating cases for a wide variety of clients, including Scotland Yard. He is one of America's favorite!
"one of America's favorite" ?

Well, I don't know what you meant by that, since Sherlock Holmes is a complete Englishman (although a bit eccentric).
However, this is an oportunity to recall what I would call Sherlock Holmes' half American novels - the novels (which I highly recommend) in which half the plot happens in America - "A study in Scarlet" and "The Valey of Fear". The american parts of these novels seem like westerners to me.
In addition, I can recall at least 1 story that has an american background - "The Five Orange Pips", which deals with the KKK.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

As a francophile, I really enjoy Poirot. I don't have many opportunities in my daily life to interact with French language and culture and I really enjoy his character.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Classic Books”